Death & Dying

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I happened across this "Goodbye" video from a podcaster whose podcasts I have never seen, and I have never heard of him before.

I wasn't going to post this video, not only because it's not a happy-thoughts video, but because I don't envision this becoming a thread full of other people's goodbye videos.

I decided to post the video because this is what got me thinking along these lines.

My goal is not to depress anyone but simply to acknowledge that, while we have a lot of threads here that were started to keep us in a happy mood, and we need that, we also discuss a lot of other things, ranging from those that make us laugh, to those that bring out sentimental reminiscing, to those that make us angry, those that make us think, and a whole lot in between.

As we grow older, though, it is quite likely that some of us have spent at least a part of our time thinking about the inevitable: death and dying.

Not all of us want to do that, however; and if you'd rather not do so, I'd rather you simply not read or follow this thread than complain because it's here.

As individuals, we all deal with things in unique ways. Probably, we've all thought about death and dying. Some people aren't at all concerned about the subject, or so they claim, either because they have accepted that there is nothing following or because they have the assurance of salvation and positive life after death.

I believe in God, and I believe in heaven and hell, but I don't believe in the assurance of salvation, although I do believe in the hope of such.

For others, myself included, death and dying are scary, and thinking of it can be depressing.

Talking about things that you may not want to think about might be counterproductive for some of you, so you might not want to participate in this thread, but others might find some relief, solace, or other positive results from discussing things that you might find bothersome; and, in that case, this might be helpful.

I don't have a personal, pressing need to discuss the subject right now, except that I am aware that I am 72 years old, that I've had cancer twice now, and that I don't always feel like I am doing so well, as far as my health goes.

I am afraid of death, but if I were a gambling man, I'd give odds that I'll move in the right direction after death. I have barely a clue as to what to expect from heaven, but I don't really want to get into a theological discussion at the moment.

While I fear death, I also fear any further cancer treatments, should that pop up again, and I guess I'd rather not know that I had cancer.

I fear my wife's death more than I do my own because I won't be around to have to pick up the pieces after my own death.

I don't actually spend a great deal of time thinking about death and dying, although I often think that I should put in a little more effort toward considering that eventuality.

That said, I will leave you to this thread. Let's not fill it up with other people's videos unless you use them as a springboard to discuss your own thoughts, as I have.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think many, if not most of us realize we are getting nearer to the end. Psalm 90:10 says are years are numbered as three score and ten. Many of us have already exceeding that expectancy. My parents both died at 45, and I have lived with the medical care field for well over 50 years, so I know death. I also volunteered for hospice, and, if it suits you, I can recommend it to everyone here if you can find an appropriate place. When the hospice I worked for became a for-profit, I quit, as I don't see volunteering for a company that profits from people dying even if it does make the process easier.

Not afraid of death, and I rely on god's mercy.

3. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

as i sit here hanging on side of the bed..coffee..lil cigar...trying to get "cranked "..like a T model...
    i can only say that i mostly fear the leading up to it....
    can i take care of whatever i need to do here..
    maybe the pain that could be involved...
    and...to keep it light..
    enough duck tape to cover my mouth from dealing with that pain

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It's not a subject I like to dwell on, but I do acknowledge it's inevitability. Before I saw this thread, I posted one about obituaries. Go figure. I think ones mind turns to these types of thoughts in the gloom of winter. Come on Spring! I did not view the video and don't intend to.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Some of you who read my Diary thread know that this has been on my mind lately. Like many people, I don't fear being dead but I do fear dying. I know I sound like a broken record with my "cancer treatment" whining but that is one thing I don't know if I could ever do again. At my age I would strongly consider palliative care if it returns. Of course we don't get to choose the "how and why" unless we commit suicide.

Like Ken, I fear my spouse's decline and death more than my own so I would like to die first. But on the other hand, who will take care of him in his last days?? I know our children will all step up but they have their own lives and shouldn't be burdened with caring for aging parents.

As for that video, I watched a bit of it. I have never seen that guy before but I found the video to be a typical Youtube overshare. I don't know when people became so convinced that every sandwich they eat is so fascinating to people on the internet. I'm sorry he died, but the narcissism is astounding.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

^^This would be me.^^

Ed Wilson started a "Have You Written Your Obit" thread, and I commented on the funerals I've attended since I moved to this rural community. I will say that there is a stark difference between the funerals of white folk (solemn & heavy & pity for those left behind) and country black folk (upbeat & celebratory & anticipating the Home Going of the deceased.)

7. Ken Anderson

I have known people who claimed and even appeared to be unafraid of facing death, but I have had a hard time believing or understanding that. Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't people who are truly unafraid of death, either because they are so assured that nothing follows or they are fully assured of their salvation after death. But, I don't get it. That's okay, though. There are people who can do things that I can't understand, and we all face death as individuals, in our own way.

I grew up in a religion that taught the assurance of salvation for all who believe, but, even so, my own belief has been on-again, off-again, mostly on, but the strength of my belief varies. Having spent more time in the Scriptures, I no longer believe in the assurance of salvation. I am assured that there is such a thing as salvation, and I hope, and often expect, that I am destined for heaven, but I do not assume automatic or easy access to salvation.

Salvation comes from God's grace and mercy, but, while we don't earn our way to heaven, I am quite sure that a repentant heart and living a Christian life play into it to some degree. While we do not earn our way into heaven through works, faith without works is dead. So, I no longer believe that it is a good idea to be complacent or to feel that I am entitled to heaven.

Then, there is the fact that I have hardly a clue as to what to expect from heaven. Since the Bible doesn't tell us much about heaven, there is still the fear of the unknown.

Now, if some of you are right and I am wrong, and there is nothing to fear or to look forward to after death, that shouldn't be so scary. It would be kind of like sleeping without a dream and not waking up. I shouldn't be afraid of that, but there are still things that I would want to do before dying, and there always will be, perhaps because I don't get around to actually doing any of them.

If death is nothingness, I shouldn't be afraid of that. I wouldn't even realize that I was wrong. But I don't look forward to death. Of course, if I should come to a point where I am helpless or in a lot of pain, that might change. I fear that, too.

It isn't an all-encompassing fear. I don't often think of it.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

That is one thing I have never been able to reconcile, @Ken Anderson ... the belief in heaven (or hell). Exactly what is heaven and why do people want to go there? Honestly, living forever does not appeal to me and I try to imagine billions of souls just milling around. I would never make light of anyone's beliefs, but I just can't make sense of it. It is my belief that religion was created as a means to control people with such BS as the "72 virgins" in Quranic passages, the promise of life after death if one will only believe, and of course the threat of hellfire and brimstone. (My intent is NOT to offend anyone and their personal beliefs; I am simply explaining my own.)

Like most people, my fear of death is that I will be sick and helpless near the end. I wish I lived in a Right to Die state for that reason. I imagine that being dead will be exactly like before I was born... just nothing. I have briefly considered reincarnation because I would like to think that the soul/spirit goes on somehow. Things like "deja-vu" still make me wonder about that.

9. John Brunner

I am as skeptical of those who say they don't think about death as I am of those who are assured of "where they're going" after it.

I worked with a woman (Heidi, who gave me a Quest Bible for my birthday) who used to quote Hebrews 4:16

Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Hebrews tells us that there should be no uncertainty within believers, as imperfect as we are. But uncertainty is tough to shake.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed–not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence–continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling." -- Philippians 2:12

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Wow.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Here is how I look at this whole thing of death, and of heaven or hell. I do not really care if there is a heaven or not, and I hope that if there is one, that I will see my loved ones (both people and beloved pets like Chipper) if I am there.
    As Ken said , we really do not have a lot of information about what heaven actually consists of, so we will just have to find out once it happens.

As far as hell, I think that telling people that they will go to hell is a ridiculous thing to do, and I can’t see where it accomplishes what God’s major directive is, which is for us to love God (who is Love, according to the Bible) and next, we are to love other people, in as much as we are able to do so.
    You can’t scare someone into having a loving heart.
    People either have a loving heart , or they don’t, and threatening them with being tortured endlessly in hell is not going to make that happen.

Even if there was no thought of an afterlife, I would still live my life like I am doing now because I am someone who cares about other people, and would try to help anyone who needs help, if I can help them.
    So, while I do not want to be sick or suffer when I am dying, I am not so concerned about what happens afterwards. I do not have an evil heart (and I do not think that most people do have one), and I think that if there is also a hell, it would be for people who are truly evil inside.

13. Ken Anderson

Of course, we can't always get what we want. If you don't believe in an afterlife because heaven doesn't appeal to you, that wouldn't make heaven or hell go away in the event that you're wrong about the absence of an afterlife, any more than they would appear just because I believe in them.

14. John Brunner

The diversity of beliefs is fascinating. I'm sure you know that Shirley MacLaine is a believer in reincarnation. When I quit drinking I went through a "phase" and rented a meditation video on chakras (7 energy points that run along your spine.) It was presented by Shirley.

15. John Brunner

Paul is the poster child for what forgiveness and redemption can do for us.