Dearborn Michigan 2016

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Martin Alonzo, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe not all Muslims but this is the way it's been in all our big cities, Chicago, NYC, LA...

Different ethnic neighborhoods...Chicago was like this in the 70's. Tha part I lived in was predominantly a Jewish neighborhood. The last time I was there it became Indian.

But besides all this, this story was in a satire newspaper.....so, not true.

Snopes digs up the truth about Sharia Law in Michigan

May 30, 2014 | Year 37, No. 38

After reading on the Internet the article about Dearborn, Michigan, being the first city in the United States to implement Sharia Law, I questioned how this could be possible here, as it is directly against the U.S. Constitution. After a little research, Snopes, “the definitive Internet reference source for urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation” as it defines itself, gave me the answer.

Claim: Dearborn, Michigan, has become the first U.S. city to implement Sharia law.

Question: Is there any validity to this story?

Snopes reported that the story is false. And here is why.

The original story that exploded on social media and many people referenced was published Oct. 28, 2013, in the National Report. The article stated that Dearborn, Michigan (a city with a historically large Muslim population), had become the first U.S. city to implement Sharia law. The article read:

“In a surprise weekend vote, the city council of Dearborn, Michigan voted 4-3 to become the first U.S. city to officially implement all aspects of Sharia Law. The tough new law, slated to go into affect Jan. 1, addresses secular law including crime, politics and economics as well as personal matters such as sexual intercourse, fasting, prayer, diet and hygiene.

“The new law could see citizens stoned for adultery or having a limb amputated for theft. Lesser offenses, such as drinking alcohol or abortion, could result in flogging and/or caning. In addition, the law imposes harsh laws with regards to women and allows for child marriage.”

Many who read the article mistook it for a genuine news article. However, the article was just a bit of satire from the National Report, a website that publishes outrageous fictional stories such as “IRS Plans to Target Leprechauns Next,” “Boy Scouts Announce Boobs Merit Badge,” and “New CDC Study Indicates Pets of Gay Couples Worse at Sports, Better at Fashion Than Pets of Straight Couples.”

The National Report’s (since removed) disclaimer page noted that:

“National Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within National Report are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental.”

To see for yourselves, go to: http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/sharia.asp#oukPQTTcl3QUtFwa.99

Although Muslims have not been able to implement Sharia Law in this country, there are several “no go” cities in several states where non-Muslims venture at their own risk.

There are many satire sites, @Martin Alonzo so I never believe anything unless I check it out and this story was far fetched enough for me to check out.

This is how crazy rumors spread...no wonder there is so much hate in our country.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Wow, that is an impressive video @Martin Alonzo , and this is probably not the only place where this kind of change is happening here in our country.
    In a way, this is also similar to what is happening with the Hispanic population here in the United States now , too. Before, the Mexicans were happy to come here, work hard, and become like Americans. Now, they come here, curse us and our flag, and want to take over the country, and make it part of Mexico.
    The thing is, with both of these pictures, the people are leaving a country where they could not even begin to live the kids of life that they have here, and now they want to change this country into being like the homeland that they left.
    That they are also getting our handouts, like welfare , medicaid, and food stamps, just adds more insult into this picture. We have elderly people who can't even afford a decent house to live in, and then we have these immigrants who drive nice new expensive cars, and live in beautiful homes, and they can collect the same kinds of benefit as our own citizens who are actually low-income can collect, and apparently , a whole lot more of it .

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The headline news articles from NationalReport.Net include:
    • Area Mall Offering 10% Discount to Non-Active Shooters
    • Ronald McDonald to Return in 2017 as "Ronald Reagan"
    • Trump Vows to Be Tough on Clown Crime
    • Sarah Palin Calls Wilma Flintstone "America's Most Admired Woman"
    • Rudy Giuliani Blames Hillary Clinton for Bee Colony Killings
    • Bedwetter's Mother Sees Image of Donald Trump in Son's Sheets
    • Fox News Anchors Will Open Carry During RNC Broadcasts
    • Donald Trump Threatens to Sue Donald Trump for Being Donald Trump
    • Report: Bernie Sanders Bird Actually Obama Drone

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

peaceful huh?? my ass

I hate em all. men, breeders and offspring's. their sub human and should be exterminated. the whole stinkin' filthy race. excuse my Hitlerism. I want em ALL deported from this country. time for re location

[​IMG]

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Okay, I think that it's a huge mistake to bring large numbers of people here who we don't need and can't support, particularly at a time when far too many Americans are unable to find work and our social infrastructure is stretched. Whatever part of the world they were coming from or whatever religion they were a part of, I'd feel that way.

As far as Muslims go, I don't think there's much doubt that if we bring hundreds of thousands of foreign Muslims here from Middle Eastern countries, it is almost certain that some of them are going to be terrorists, and that many of those who are not terrorists will nevertheless make demands upon our culture that we shouldn't have to bear. But I don't believe that they are subhuman, and I certainly don't believe that they should be exterminated.

Their ideas of good and evil differ greatly from many of us, and that can be a huge problem, and one that - in my opinion - would mean that they would not be a good fit here. When I say this, I am not talking about Muslims. There are Muslim people living here who are perfectly fine people, but they were born and raised here, and share our culture albeit not our religion. But we don't even share any one religion. There are Muslims who are as American as anyone else. I know Muslims who would be no more likely to blow themselves up in a market place, crash a plane into a building, or cut someone's throat than I would.

The problem isn't that they are Muslim. The problem is that they are coming here from a culture that is foreign to us, and they are doing so under conditions that demand that we assimilate, rather than that they assimilate, and that is wrong. Assimilation doesn't mean that they have to become Christians, or atheists, or whatever, but that they can live among the rest of us peacefully. This is something that takes time, and may never be accomplished when such large numbers are being brought here.

Another problem is that we are bringing these people here from countries that we are at war with, which certainly doesn't make for peaceful relations. I know that we don't all agree here, but whatever your opinion about our foreign wars, I don't think anyone can deny that some of the people we'll be bringing here are those who we are at war with, and that just doesn't make any sense.

My opinion is that we had no business meddling in the affairs of Middle Eastern countries, and that the people in these countries have every right to be angry with the United States. That doesn't mean that we were entirely at fault or that they are innocent victims, either. But before we got involved, they were mostly killing one another.

So long as we remain at war, and without a peaceful resolution, it makes no sense to bring the enemy over here. Again, it's not a Christian versus Muslim thing. I think it's just common sense.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It's only the ones that adhere to the strict teachings of Islam that are worrisome. I have no problems with everyday Muslims. I agree we don't need to be letting in refugees Willy Nilly. Anyone coming from a Muslim country should be fully vetted. I would even go as far as just letting women and children in, their husbands can wait.

You can't really stop terrorism completely...someone will always slip in or they are here already.

This was a good read on Islam from a woman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am going to totally disagree with what @Gary Ridenour says here. I think that this commment is not appropriate for a friendly forum, and hope it would be removed as a hate comment.
    While I do not want to see our country over run by violent extremists from ANYWHERE (including American ones), neither do I think that hating a person because of their race is right at all.
    We have had people of the Muslim faith here in this country for years, just like we have had black people, and Hispanic people, and every one of us have lived together pretty much in peace for all of these years. I do not think that race is the problem. The problem is violence and extremist thinking.
    What is the difference between extremist Muslim who want to kill Americans, and extremist Americans who want to kill Muslims ? The pot is calling the kettle black !
    Neither one is how we should be living together.

Bobby Cole and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

He expressed his feelings, and they are feelings that are shared by quite a few people. Hatred doesn't go away because we ignore it. I believe the opposite is true, and that race relations in this country have gotten worse since we have turned the mere expression of feelings into a hate crime, since this has made it impossible for people to have an honest discussion of the issue.

My father hated Japanese people. He didn't make a habit of denigrating Japanese people or otherwise showing his disgust but, of course, we didn't have any Japanese people living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I doubt that anyone would have gotten him into a Japanese restaurant, and the Sushi wouldn't have been his greatest objection.

He hated Japanese people because he spent seven years of his life fighting the Japanese during World War II. He had been a prisoner of the Japanese, and they weren't kind. Three of his brothers died during World War II, and I am sure that he lost many friends during the war. Interestingly, he didn't hate Germans, probably because he had fought in the Pacific. It's also easier to hate someone who looks different than you do, I think.

The subject didn't come up very often, so it wasn't a huge issue. Once when he had said something about what horrible people the Japanese were, I made the mistake of suggesting that they probably didn't like him very much either. That wasn't the right response.

His wasn't a hatred that really needed to be fixed because he could very easily live out his life without ever coming across a Japanese person. Had he lived in another part of the country, that wouldn't have been the case and I don't think that telling him that he couldn't feel that way would have made the hatred go away. Hatred is a human emotion, and we have a right to hate. It's where that takes us that can become a problem.

Bobby Cole and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, we have a right to hate, I hate a few people...most of them are white.

But hating is just going to make us more divided then we already are....we're not united at all. Look at the hate in this election...it's sad that people will actually unfriend someone on Facebook because they're voting for Trump.

Ina I. Wonder and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Yes, and I'm not saying it's a good thing. Just that it's a real thing, and that denying it doesn't make it go away. Talking about it seems healthier to me, as that leaves at least a potential for change.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just finished reading a lovely post on Facebook by a Muslim dentist colleague and friend of my son and DIL. It bought tears to my eyes because it was so heartfelt and because I remember 1984 in Illinois and being into the Cubs. I stood in line with my son to get Mark Graces autograph that year. My son was in little league then and was a left handed pitcher/first baseman. Grace signed his glove, I'm sure he still has it. I've gone off track...here is the post.

I moved to the US, to the city of Chicago, in 1982. I didn't speak English and didn't have many friends initially. During those years, particularly year 1984, the city was filled with the electricity of Cubs fever. They were a great team........with players like Sandberg, Dawson, and Sutcliffe. They failed to win any championships, always losing in the post seasons, but I became a fan. The bond and brotherhood of being a Cubs fan is a real thing and it allowed me to find a connection with others and feel included. Knowing I loved the sport, my parents encouraged it. I still remember going to 84 Lumber and waiting in line with my Dad to get Jodi Davis' autograph! Throughout the years, being a Cubs fan became part of my identity. I saw great players like Grace, Maddux, Prior, etc bring us to the brink.......but never closed the deal. What happened last night is more meaningful than just another win. The Cubs are who I am and this championship takes me back to that kid who wanted a championship so badly in 84 just to fit in, even though he didn't really even understand the game. Go Cubs Go! Congratulations to all the players (even Heyward). They will be remembered for the rest of their lives for what they did just now.

Most aren't so different from us, really.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

I love it, @Chrissy Cross. That's what assimilation is about, I think. We don't have to become something or somebody else in order to assimilate. We just have to find some areas of commonality, to share something. When large groups of foreign Muslims come over here at the same time and live in Muslim neighborhoods, that may never happen, but it would occur if we'd take a more reasonable approach.

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

15. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

a hate comment huh?? let me tell ya these animals have been killing and raping for over 4000 years.

[​IMG]

under their law they have the right to take what they want. in any country including here. someday, very soon him and his ilk will take your family and use them to breed as they see fit. if you resist you will be murdered. all of you. its called honor killing. check it out.

under law they can marry and have sex with children as young as 4. including yours

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

did you know during WW2 they helped Hitler hunt down and murder Jews. a recorded fact. kill is what they do best

if you can stomach to look at it tell me which one is the animal. if you please

Removed 2 Videos -- Admin

no sir. it don't take a load a rocks to fall on me to reconize what's going on here is Muslim domination of the world

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2016