Danger Of Benadryl, And Similar Drugs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, May 10, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was reading this article on Facebook this morning, and it shocked me because I had never heard about the possible dangers of something as common as Benadryl . Apparently, when used regularly by and older person, it can lead to dementia, confusion, and even psychotic episodes.
    This article explains everything better than I can do, so I am just going add the link so that everyone can read it.
    Some of the drugs included in this are pretty common ones, and they are called anticholinergics. Benadryl and similar anti-itch drugs are part of it; but so are some sleeping meds like Sominex and also Tylenol or Advil PM, and other antihistamines and antidepressants.
    The symptoms are anything from confusion and brain fog, to full-blown psychotic episodes. This is a scary thought !
    It seems that we older people react differently to a lot of things than we did when we were younger, according to this article. Even simple things, like a urinary infection, can have unusual symptoms.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/national/article149165019.html#fmp

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

It's very true.........us older folks do react differently to a number of things that never bothered us in our younger years. From some types of food to things we do among other things.
    And we are told that our "older and retired" years are suppose to be fun. For some, definitely, for others definitely not so much.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

:eek: I read the article
    Thank goodness I'm very wary of taking pills, that article just enforces my reasoning

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have always reacted strongly to Benadryl, even doses intended for children. It makes me feel like I'm doing hard drugs or something.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I can take it and it barely puts me to sleep.

What I can't take are OTC cold medications...I always feel weird.

Last edited: May 10, 2017