Damaged Oa Knee Is Somewhat Improving

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I've heard of the resurfacing work, but with all the damage I live with from hip job, can't imagine a knife doing anything to me electively....

I have a friend and have not seen her in years but we talk now and then...long story and quite a character. She's had 3 back surgeries, (she had these in her 50's) and at 81 soon she's in bad shape as she tells me. Then she is telling me she's thinking of shoulder replacement and I screamed at her....Do You Want More Arthritis in your body..??

Told her to do shoulder exercises, shrugs, circles, and more, I do these all the time....Stop with the butchering of your body.

Marie Mallery and John Nopales like this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I would not be walking at all (such as it is) if I hadn't had my hip replacement. Another friend had both knees, a hip and a shoulder and was glad for all of them. But one guy I worked for had a hip replacement and seemed in worse pain than before. it does happen. Not sure why or how.

3. Joy Martin

Registered

On why I may have ended up with all the hip damage, I did the surgery on Friday afternnon at 2ish and this is probably the LAST surgery the doc did all week, and he was burned out...

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  4. Joy Martin

Registered

Why??? We are all different and often the damage appears later, weeks months years....After the hip replacement I went 5 months in great shape and then DOWN....again the shorter leg outcome....

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  5. Joy Martin

Registered

My 72 yr old gf is preparing for Knee Replacement next week, and as far as I see she walks pretty well, drives, does a lot of life and I did everything but say "don't do it" as it's her decision and body that she is left with will prevail...We cannot UNDO replacements.... She is Knock Kneed and I can vizualize the surgery as being more major than it is anyway...

I KNOW Prolotheraphy would benefit her and she has the funds, but is set on cutting the body...maybe so since she is a retired RN and keeps her license up. She uses alternativss but also some heart meds and to me, is a fan of surgeries....

I can only HOPE she is better off after the knee job...

She is still doing a lot of healing from hip replacement about 6 months ago and she is disappointed she didn't do better, but won't admit it....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    Mary Stetler and John Nopales like this.
  6. Joy Martin

Registered

My friend did a knee replacement about 3 months ago and she thought she'd be further along t han she is..she went for her 3rd Post OP office visit and she told doc just how slow she is healing...doc said: these surgeries are Major.....They need to say this before the surgery too. I'd say the docs make them sound like a Breeze. Get that Money and then talk.....

7. Mary Stetler

Registered

My friend is in the same boat and about the same time frame. I had told her that knees are much worse than hips (which were, for me, a breeze). Her hubby told her he would stay home from work (owns his business) a couple of weeks to help her.:rolleyes: I think he is still home. She has a horse and dog farm which need taking care of. She says her knee still hurts quite a bit. But I know she will be much happier when healed by other friends' info.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Joy Martin

Registered

Boy I am so destroyed from hip replacement 13 yrs ..ago.

My parents and their whole generation didn't do the Electrive surgeries and lived I THINK much better than me into many their 90's...OA yes but no surgeries.....Electives were not YET out there for the folks.....they were lucky,,,,

9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Joy did PT help or have you tried it? Either way hope you get better. Of course like you said, we all sooner or later will deal with something. This past month I've not felt well.

10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm going for my walk and hoping it makes me feel better, it usually does.
    We bought a walker for trials and rough landscape; in case I need it someday which may come sooner rather than later.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Joy Martin

Registered

My PT gal and I agreed on one visit a week and we walk to my mail box and yesterday I cycled on my recumbent bike that I had not done for probably a year....I get MORE motivated with her coming for the day, i t's a program that is 60 days and Medicare picks it up.

Getting better would be a Miracle, I'm happy not getting worse.....the future with advanced aging, remains to be seen...

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Registered

I didn't like walkers but love my cane(s).:)