Cutting Classes In School

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Corie Henson, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have 8 brothers and 3 sisters. It is a wonder why all us girls were good in school while all the 8 boys in the family were all wrecks with their report card. Worse, their sons seemed to have inherited their penchant for cutting classes or escaping school.

One of my big brother was taking up veterinary medicine. After 4 years of paying the tuition fee, getting school allowance and leaving home everyday, the secret was revealed that he has not enrolled for the course. So that means he had spent his 4 years out of the classroom. It’s really difficult to understand why they do that.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Except for a few classes, I've always liked school. During my senior year of high school, all I needed was one class though, so I would take half days and hang out at another high school where I had friends. When I was in high school, they scheduled a free period for everyone, which some kids used to do their homework without taking it home, while most seemed to just play around. After the first semester of my 9th grade year, learning that free period was a waste of time, I enrolled in another class during my free period, thinking that I would be able to graduate after the 11th grade. I was already a year ahead, having been skipped through 2nd grade. However, I found that they wouldn't allow me to enroll in Government in the 11th grade, saying that it was for seniors only, and that was a required course. Other than that, I had completed the requirements for graduation. I would be required to complete my senior year anyhow, and they insisted that I enroll in at least three classes. So for my senior year, I enrolled in American Literature and World History, although I had completed those classes already, getting A's in them, because I enjoyed them and liked the teachers, and because I wasn't feeling entirely cooperative after having not been allowed to enroll in Government in the 11th grade.

By that time, most of my friends attended Menominee High School, which was south of where I lived, while I attended Stephenson High School, north of where I lived. So during my senior year, a couple of my friends would come from Menominee and couple of days a week, and we'd hang around Stephenson for the rest of the day; sometimes they'd sit in on my American Literature class. I'd drive to Menominee a couple of days a week, and hang out there after finishing my three morning classes.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It just makes me wonder why a majority of those cutting classes (skipping school subjects) are boys. Although there are cases involving girls, like my best friend in high school who had the temerity to skip the last subject, most of the boys in our family have done that. My 8 brothers have done that while 4 of us girls in the family were all diligent when it comes to studies. In the next generation, only 1 of my nephew has been good in school (he is now to leave for Qatar for a better job placement) and the rest have no college degree. But all the girls in that generation were all good with their studies.

Is this a syndrome of simply brought about by the influence of the environment?