Credit Card For Heath, Beauty, Wellness

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, I'm not advertising for this, only information.

While I was getting my date/time set up for my Laser Cataract Eye Surgery in my left eye, the Surgical Coordinator gave me an application for a credit card called Care Card. We applied and got enough credit to take care of both surgeries (one on each eye). This card will take care of other medical things, but not prescriptions.

Before being told about this credit card, we had no idea there was such a credit card that was solely devoted to health, beauty and wellness.

Any of you ever heard of this card or have it?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm not sure if it's the exact same card but we have one that is good only for medical payments (including vet bills), which we keep in the event of a sudden medical bill not covered by Medicare or our supplementary plans, particularly things like veterinary bills.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't have anything like that since we don't get medical bills unless we choose to pay Privately away from the NHS...

It sounds like a fabulous idea in theory, given that you all have such enormous medical bills... but what's the interest rate?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Never heard of it. Why not just use a regular credit card with no annual fees and cashback? What is the advantage?

5. Ken Anderson

The rates are good, I think. More importantly, we are unlikely to be overextended on it because it is good for medical bills only.

6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, I see. Thanks.

7. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I would be leery of them unless it was my only option.

Some of those cards have an interest rate of 26.99% once the promotional period ends or if a payment is missed.

Some of them also have what is called deferred interest where the finance charges are calculated from the beginning of the loan and not charged if the original amount is paid in full during the introductory period. If you don't pay the original amount off in the original term all finances charges from the beginning are added to the balance.

Be sure to read the fine print and follow the terms exactly.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yea, I forgot about the vet bills. Guess it's the same one. Interesting type of credit card though.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just seen that Ken answered your question. My wife plans on paying it off before we move.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, Ken, your turn here (again). Thanks.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife was right by the computer when I was applying for it and approved of it. She should know about this stuff since she is a degreed (Bachelors) in Accounting/Finance/Business.

12. Ken Anderson

I don't keep track of that stuff but my wife wouldn't have signed up for it if the rates were overly high. I think we pay it off before the first payment is due anyhow but it's nice to know that we have something to turn to if something happens with one of the cats at a time when we don't have a balance on our cards. As far a our own medical expenses go, they'll treat us whether we have the money or not, but they won't take care of the cats without payment, so it's good to have the card.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

That's interesting. How does that work? Am I missing something here with that sentence?

14. Ken Anderson

I have been treated for broken bones, a strangulated hernia, a couple of bouts of cancer, and for several more minor things, and never once have I been asked to pay before treatment. In fact, people who you can be sure will not make even the first payment on a medical bill are nevertheless seen and treated for their injuries or illnesses. When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, I wasn't yet old enough for Medicare and had no insurance, yet I was able to receive treatment. That's not the case with a cat.

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh , don't you have Medicare and a supplemental policy? If you do, they should cover all your cataract surgery. Were you ever in any branch of the military? They should help.

I never heard of a credit card that didn't charge any interest. Most of them charge a lot.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.