Craving Cannoli

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It never fails, as soon as the temperature drops a few points, I start craving my favorite recipes. I have metal tubes to make cannoli shells, but after looking at a few recipes, I think I might take a shortcut and use pizzelle for the shells. I probably won't make them until at least around Thanksgiving, but who knows. I may decide I need them sooner, and if so, I'll probably do something like this. I'll probably try making them with store bought ricotta the first time, but after that, I might see how my homemade ricotta stands up.

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I was shopping at Wegman's the US's best grocery store, from popular opinion..about two weeks ago. It is such a fantastic store, but anyway, I digress...The cannoli in their bakery case the storemade ones were very expensive..I think about 7.50 for maybe 4, but they were selling some that were broken is a cup, with the cream...for 3.25...wanna guess what I opted for??:) Anyway, I like cannoli, but have never tried making them at home. It is not one of my big crave items, but I do eat maybe one or two a year. Good Luck with your cannoli making!

3. Diane Lane

Registered

Ooh, broken cannoli sound interesting. I've never seen them sold that way. The only place around here that sells cannoli that I know of is Kroger, and it took years before they appeared. They have two sizes, tiny ones, and then small ones, at least compared to what I'm used to from up north. They are a little more costly here than back home, but it's probably hard for them to get the shells, since I doubt they make them. $7.50 for 4 sounds about the same as here, I guess. I think they're becoming more popular as people learn about them and give them a taste. It's still hot here, so it'll probably be a while before I break out the pizzelle iron, but I am looking forward to it and them :D.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree Diane - I lose my appetite in the summer months, so looking forward to roast dinners again
    and me lovely shepherds pie cooked in fry pan - yum ! :D

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

I always make my pies like that in the oven, but that could be because I don't have a proper pan to make them on top. It won't be long before I'm baking those up, as well as casseroles, on a weekly or biweekly basis. Now I'm starting to crave lasagna :D:p;):).

K E Gordon likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ooo yes - Lasagne, mmmmmmmm yummy yum yum :D

7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, now the weather is cooling using the oven again is such a joy! Other than the chicken I made the other day, I hadn't used it for months. Roomie and I are both enjoying using the oven, I made a chicken and he made roast beast! :D Lasagna,,,,I have a 5 ingredient veggie one I want to make.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Unless I'm mistaken, Cannoli are those small, sweet, very tasty filled little pastries? One of our favorite Buffets here have them often on the dessert offerings. Eat all you want! Delicious!

I could become obese pretty easily..........
    Frank

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know what a cannoli is but I sure understand cravings.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Sheldon Scott - I don't know of cannoli either - would someone describe for us please :)

Sheldon Scott likes this.