Crackers And Crisp Breads

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bobby likes to snack on those Ritz crackers and peanut butter in the evening, and he always has saltine crackers with any kind of soup or similar food.
    I like the Ritz crackers, but for me they have way too much salt , almost 5 grams of fat per serving, and no fiber; so I no longer have those, or the saltines.

I discovered a whole grain, fat free, low sodium cracker/crispbread called Wasa Crispbread. It comes in several different flavors, and has 3 grams of fiber for each crispbread.
    Now, I have to say, when I first tried them (I ordered a case from Amazon); it was like eating crispy cardboard. But now, I really like them, and enjoy the whole grain flavor of the multi-grain version. I am now going to order one of the variety packs that also has the sourdough included, which I am looking forward to trying.

76833A02-520B-45F4-BB7A-2FE0E6E98C42.jpeg

Faye Fox, Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It's an acquired taste. I've been various types of Wasa products for years, sometimes just as they come, but at other times with butter or cheese.

Faye Fox, Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I like most types of crackers, including the Wasa types. We used to make crackers on our woodstove top when we were first married and living in North Carolina. They were a whole wheat sesame cracker that was wonderful. They can also be made on a griddle.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I made crackers once for a church function...rosemary, sea salt and parm-reggiano. They were very good.

My go-to crackers for cheese are Sociables, followed by Keebler Club, then Chicken in a Biskit. Of course, soups require Saltines. I keep Ritz around, but mostly for recipes that specify them. Ritz used to be my go-to and for some reason fell out of favor.

Regarding adapting to Wasa: I've mentioned before that I went meatless for 6 months at one time. We can adapt to these changes faster than we think we could. We eat what's available.

Yvonne Smith, Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a fan of homemade whole-grain pita bread. I also eat graham crackers with almond butter. I try to go with crackers that have more fiber since cancer was a real wake-up call. It is so hard to eat healthily as any good cracker health-wise usually tastes like sawdust Getting the amount of daily fiber recommended is almost impossible without a disproportional amount of fat and sugar.

6. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Would you please provide a recipe? Some time ago I mentioned my "BauernBrot" (Farmer's bread): two parts whole wheat, one part rye. Very heavy since rye doesn't rise much.

Don Alaska, Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Here is basically the recipe I use. Most will use all-purpose flour instead of rye. It makes a nicer rising and looking bread, but I like the taste of rye, and pita bread is a flatbread so it all works out for me.

1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup rye or triticale flour
    1 cup oats
    ½ cup wheat germ
    ¼ cup milled flaxseed
    2 tablespoons wheat gluten
    1 packet instant yeast
    ½ tablespoon honey
    1 ½ teaspoons salt
    1 cup warm water
    1 sprinkle of hot Spanish paprika

In the bowl combine all ingredients and mix with a spatula until a rough ball is formed.

Mix with a folding motion adding more water or flour as necessary to get a dough ball that is just slightly sticky to touch. Knead for a few minutes.

Place the bowl in a warm spot, cover it with a towel, and allow the dough to double in size maybe an hour. Preheat oven to 500°F, and bake on a pizza stone.

Separate the dough into 8 equal parts. Shape each section into a small ball. On a floured surface, roll each dough ball into a circle using a rolling pin; make each circle about 1/8″ thick and 8” in diameter. Gently make marks on the dough where it will be broken into triangle pieces. Same as slicing a round pizza, just don't cut thru, just lightly score.

Place the dough circles on the pizza stone. Bake for 2 minutes on one side, then flip and bake for 1- 2 more minutes. Watch for the dough to slightly puff up as it bakes!

Remove the pita from the oven and wrap it in a tea towel while still warm. Once slightly cooled, observing the score lines, break the rounds into slices. The triangle slices are fun for dipping in an East Indian red spicy chicken soup.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I like Wasa bread and usually buy the whole grain to eat with cheese or salad. I'm weird, but I also like a slice of Wasa with scrambled eggs. :D We usually have a box of Saltines in the house but I don't buy many varieties of crackers anymore; we don't seem to eat them like we used to.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Haven't had them for a very long time, but, now in reading this thread, getting hungry for some Club Crackers. Upper-scale restaurants use to have them, wrapped up, in a cracker holder on each table. When waiting for our dinner salad, we'd snack on those crackers.

Just put these crackers and both can cheese spread and a package of cut-up cheese on our grocery list.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Laura Jones

Laura Jones Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love all kinds of crackers. Lately my favorite are saltines, followed by graham crackers topped with strawberry jam, I have a feeling I’m going through my second childhood! :)

11. James Hintze

Registered

Thanks Faye. I'll do it. The only change is that I use sauerdough and instead of salt I cut up a few slices of salt pork into small pieces and include.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Using sourdough is my favorite way and the salt pork would surely give it a wonderful flavor. I haven't had any good sourdough since I left the mountains and used the sourdough I got from the high elevation, Idaho Basque. It was developed over 100 years to give the best results in high elevation like they had near Stanley, Idaho in the Sawtooth Mountain range. It was so powerful it would lift a cast iron dutch oven lid when rising at 7,000 feet above sea level.

13. James Hintze

Registered

Nothing to do with baking, but I spent two summers, 1957-58 on a forest service lookout, 'Lookout Mountain' above Stanley. I grew up in Lost River Valley, in the same county.

Faye Fox likes this.
  14. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wasa crispbread is a staple here in Sweden and comes in a variety of flavors. We also have several other brands to choose from. Some are the shape of Wasa, some are wedge shaped and some are round. The large round varieties even come with a hole in the middle which used to be for threading the bread on a pole hanging from the ceiling out of the way of rats and mice.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Welcome to the forum. Although I was born in Michigan, my grandparents, on both sides of the family, were born in Sweden - somewhere in Värmland, I believe. The families didn't know one another before they settled in the UP of Michigan, but they were both from the same general area of the county. Unfortunately, they believed (as was commonly believed at the time) that it would be confusing for a child to learn two languages so I never learned Swedish, just enough to say thank you and you're welcome, to amuse the grandparents. My grandparents on my dad's side died before I was old enough to know them, but when my other grandparents were visiting at night, I could hear everyone speaking Swedish (which, as a child, I referred to as gibberish), but as soon as one of us came into the room, the conversation switched to English. I can remember being referred to as a tomtegubbe from time to time, as well.

To bring this back on topic, Wasa bread was a staple in our house, and I still buy it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021