Cracker Barrel

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I won't name a particular Cracker Barrel restaurant because I have been to dozens of them and they are all pretty much the same. While I prefer mom and pop diners and independent restaurants to chains when I am traveling, my wife like to know what she is going to get, and Cracker Barrel serves that purpose pretty well. Whereas some of the genuine mom and pop choices that I have made along the way have been atrocious, Cracker Barrel will probably satisfy.

There is a very good menu, which I believe to be standard throughout the chain, as I know that there is no problem getting grits in a Cracker Barrel in Maine. Prices are a little high perhaps, but not at all outrageous, and I have never been disappointed in the quality of a meal that I have received at Cracker Barrel.

The atmosphere is an admittedly fake, yet somehow effective, down home feel, and in order to get to the restaurant you have to walk through their store, which consists mostly of faux antique or retro gift and home decor items, more than a few of which I have taken home with me. They probably make as much money on that stuff as they do the restaurant.

When traveling, Cracker Barrel is a safe stop.

Krissttina Isobe and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Love their Chicken Fried Steak dinner and iced tea. Nothing is left on my plate! Wife really likes their Side of apples. A lot of the d├ęcor I know what it is.........oooops, showing my age and where I was raised (farming). Their store is something else, with so much old dvd's and music cd's they sell. Looks like the restaurant attracts a lot of Baby Boomers and older, which is ok for some, but not others. We like eating there.

3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We rarely eat out anywhere. We have been to Cracker Barrel a couple of times but it's probably been15 years since we went there. The best I remember the food was pretty good.

4. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Active Member
    Registered

We have a Cracker barrel right down the road and i like it. On a Sunday it is just packed and you have to wait awhile for a seat. I like the hash brown casserole and usually will order from the breakfast menu. I have had mixed experience in eating at this restaurant, the food is usually pretty decent, occasionally we have an off meal or poor service. I usually order the poor by breakfast and my only complaint since i get the steak medium rare is that the juice runs into the eggs and there are to many plates of stuff. Not a fan of the saw mill gravy. I do like the grits and am glad they serve them, up here in the north the only other chain that serves grits is Bob Evans.

In my opinion I tink it is the little store that makes the experience special, Although I love the little bottles of syrup and blueberry compote they give you. My next favorite thing is that they sell the large Tootsie Rolls, they are fresh and still soft- such a treat!

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

:oops:Here in Hawaii all we get is the commercial of Cracker Barrel and the commercial looks great. Big portions, looks satisfying and favorite foods that sticks to the ribs home cooking. I wish we had a Cracker Barrel in Hawaii. Sometimes I see commercials like Cracker Barrel and hope they come to Hawaii especially when people like it! Thanks for the info.