Cost Of Living Adjustments

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Sheldon Scott, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I would say your correct.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Just to clarify, the president or his administration have no say in the SS increase; the increase is determined by COLA (cost of living adjustment). Though the administration may have a hand in the causes of higher cost of living, they have no input on the SS rates.

Also, Medicare premiums will DECREASE for 2023. (See Nancy's post earlier in the thread.)

Don Alaska, Bobby Cole and Al Amoling like this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think the cost of living increases have been accurate for quite some time. If medicare goes down, income tax will increase. JMHO

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I tried to log on to see irf I dhad any messages. Couldn’t be bother when I couldn’t remember password. Yes have Apple computer. Don’t know what the problem was. Just quit trying. Have too many things to do

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Today I got notification that I had a message in MySocialSecurity.com, so I logged on to see. It's the Benefits for 2023 notice. So if you have a MySS account you should be able to access the information straight from the horse's mouth.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My wife logged in and found that her net SS has risen more than 10%. Biden will get credit for it, and, in a sense he deserves it, as it was his terrible policies that caused the cost of living to rise so much.

7. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm frustrated with SS site (mysocialsecurity) because they said they were sending me some sort of code as I forgot my password. After a month, still no mail.

I need to calculate mine because I have an apartment in Oregon, still haven't got the move-in date, and my SS will be less in Oregon. With the raise maybe not. Either way I'll survive but are you saying @Don Alaska, the raise is about 10%, I mean I could use that to calculate a ballpark figure? I'm with you on the raise, not that it would cause me to vote for that pinhead because someone is pulling the strings "for him" imo ;)

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My Gross went up 8.7% and the after-Medicare amount went up 9.7%.

I feel the same way about this as I did the COVID Stimulus...it's coming out of the pocket of someone who's out there working. I guess I was in that position at one time, but that was before our government was aggressively destroying our lives.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

As Don was saying, the raise is tied to inflation by statute. The only way a politician influences it is by increasing inflation.

I just posted my percentages right before your comment, Denise. That sucks they're taking so long to get your new credentials to you.

Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I just signed up for an account, @Denise Happyfeet , and they sent me several codes. They send them as a text message, not in the regular mail or even email.
    Try it again, and make sure you are ready to get the text message and that you have added your phone number to your account so that they can text you the codes.

11. Denise Evans

Registered

Ok @Yvonne Smith I will try that as soon as I good my Echo Dot working, got one on Black Friday sale but what a pain in the bazooka to set it up, lol!! SS Did say on their site I would have to wait for mail but I will try again ;) Thanks much, I'll let you know how I do :)

Wait a sec, I have an account, they are asking me to login!! I can't make a new account though??

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It probably gives you options, Denise. I kind of remember something saying that they could email me a code, but being the impatient person that i am, I wanted to get all signed up right now, so I added my phone number and asked for the text (sms) message to be sent, and they did it right away.

Denise Evans likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

But you were setting up a new account @Yvonne Smith This isn't working for me. I'll try again here in a minute. I have "Sign in" or "Create Account", that's it!

14. Denise Evans

Registered

Nope, now says they can't verify my ID, LOL! I was at SS office the other day for a copy of my latest income statement. They didn't have any problem giving that to me :rolleyes: Oh well, I'll just wait til I can call them on the phone or go down to the office again. They ask you if you're carrying a weapon and I just said no because I wasn't but what, they just believe everybody. There's some security for'ya :D

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet or anyone with an answer. Denise stated her SS would be less in Oregon ? Why is that ? Is SS based on state also? Texas vs KS .ummm oh boy