Cooking For Dog

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Marie Mallery, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Molly won't est dog food but she loves my tuna fish patties.
    And they are full of onions which I like lots of onions in most whatever I can put them in., potato salad, cole slaw, hushpuppies.
    To save money I mixed in a quart of regular dog food, onions, eggs, flour and 1 can of tuna.
    She likes the crunch I guess. I cooked them in oil, some olive oil, but it isn't cheap, so not a lot.
    She ate it like it was steak, she also likes p-nut butter sandwich, but not much, just a half sandwich.
    Only difference was the dog food I put in.
    She served us well as a good guard dog and she is worth it.

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

Jake will sneak my patties and eat them like treats, I only cook them for meals.
    I told him he can have one anytime he wants it, Molly won't mind.:D

3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

As many know we take care of pets when it suits us ( in pets home not ours )
    I have a recipe that was given to pets owners that most pets throughly enjoy and it’s fairly economical
    @Marie Mallery
    Of course it all depends on if you feed your pets grains , as the recipe contains rice ( the pets owners actually took their pets to a pet Nutritionist who made out the recipe )

Feeding pets grain free diets is fairly popular in Aust

Im happy to pass on the recipe if you would like it Marie

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you Kate, but I'll just stick with this for now, but I do appreciate the offer.

Kate Molly is really old, very boney and weak. She keeps going but won't eat any kind of dog food, like she did her whole life. She was not a picky eater. I feed her what she will eat. She will eat a wiener aka hot dog, but loves tuna patty the most, I decided to mix dog food in it to make it go further, since it is expensive.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I cooked Harry's food for 9 years. I'd always make enough for a week at a time but he only weighed about 15 pounds so it didn't take a huge amount. He loved cheese for a treat; I swear he could hear a cheese wrapper crinkling from a block away.

Marie--onions are toxic to dogs so please be careful with those. From the AKC... "Onions contain a toxic principle known as N-propyl disulfide. This compound causes a breakdown of red blood cells, leading to anemia in dogs. The toxin causes oxidative damage to your dog's red blood cells by attaching to the oxygen molecules in those cells."

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Our last dog, Nikki, who was a 1/2 Malamute-1/2 Siberian female, loved the peanut butter we would give her some mornings inside a red Kong Classic before we left for work. I'd also let her lick the beaters that I used to make mashed potatoes with. For regular food, we gave her "top of the market" (that we were told) Blue Wilderness Dry with some wet mixed in sometimes. She loved it! Unfortunately, she put on a little too much weight. When we first got her, she could jump up onto the tailgate of our old Dodge RAM truck and into the bed that had a cover on it. As time went on, I had to pick her up and put her on the tailgate. She also absolutely loved the Colorado winters/snow. Then again, she was a Husky!

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Beth I heard they were bad for dogs, so I just put a few in her patties, didn't want to change the flavor so she would eat them.
    My Thanksgiving meals were always full of onions, our dogs always got the leftovers. According to our vets over the years they all lived extra long lives. I will stop with the onions now, long as she eats.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Cody ,Molly could use all the weight we can put on her, but I do agree, dogs can get fat from people food.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Marie--I know you are probably just trying to figure out something to feed poor Molly. I'm sure a little onion is the least of your worries with her, so as long as she is eating then give her what she likes. When Harry got cancer and was dying, he refused his favorite foods and would only eat plain cooked spaghetti! I still can't eat spaghetti without getting teary-eyed.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yes, she always liked salmon patties, but then it was just a little one for a treat.

Our dogs are very important, and it hurts to lose them, Beth sorry about Harry.
    She ate some fried chicken today, ,she did turn up nose up to the patty for the chicken, Jake always get a box of it when we shop at Publix deli.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Harry was my little heart; he's been gone for nearly 7 years and it feels like yesterday. They certainly do leave little paw prints on our hearts.

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel your hearts, Beth and Marie. I don't know why so many dogs are getting cancer. I fed my little Emma whatever she would eat and eventually she would not eat anything. so I put her down:( I hid her meds in pieces of hot dogs or cheese but she started picking them out and then eventually would not eat the treats at all.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

I agree, when they stop eating or walking it is time to let them go. So far Molly is still walking slowly, and eating with gusto,if it is one of her favorites.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

First time Molly didn't eat today. She has off and on heart beat, ,she has been in bathroom today in AC on her bed. I keep petting and talking to her. At first I thought she was gone, then I realized I had vinegar on me for chiggers and ticks, so I washed it off and put my perfume on and ribbed it on her bed, Dogs don't like vinegar because I use it to kill ear mites. Or bath sometimes to kill chiggars.

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Molly did stand up long enough to pee. Jake caried her outside, she is a large dog so I don't carry her down steps to yard, we may both fall.
    Still not eating.
    Molly will soon be 17,thats old for a large dog.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024