Comedians

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Patsy Faye, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you noticed many of the great comedians are really sad inside ..............
    Watched a docu on WC Fields, he drank to take away his sadness, but it didn't help him
    My theory - although not a comedian, I do like to fill my being with laughter, this has stopped me from
    having flashbacks of unhappy times in my life
    They say laughter is the best medicine - its true, except when it makes yer ribs hurt :p

Joe Riley, Ike Willis and K E Gordon like this.
  2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Well some are and some aren't. I think those that are funny despite pain, have chosen to make the best of a bad situation. I think they are to be admired because they have made the choice to laugh rather than cry. Also, sometimes there is an underlying optimisim that can shine through despite bad situations. Watch the movie "Life is Beautiful" for inspiration.

Joe Riley, Ike Willis and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I think comedians are just like us ordinary people who have their moods, problems, worries, and cares in the world. Being comic is a career or profession that comedians are good at so we get the impression that they are free from what we usually experience about the troubles in life. As they say, comedians are good actors for they hide the truth from the public.

We have this comedian named Dolphy a,k.a. comedy king for his popularity in making comedy movies and tv shows as well. In his last 5 years, the public was not aware of Dolphy's emphysema, a disease that slowly ravages the lungs. That health issue only leaked out to the public in his last months. He was still doing a tv serial with him in the lead role. Production staff of the tv networks say that Dolphy would take 1 minute of shooting and cut... because he needs his oxygen tank. He was in that pathetic condition in the studio while shooting his tv serial until his body gave up and he was hospitalized for a few weeks before succumbing. It was an ironic end for the so called king of comedy in this side of the world.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Everyone things that they have the makings of a successful comedian. :D;):):D:p:D:cool:;):):rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I like Abbot and Costello as comedians. Then there's Danny Kaye, The Golden Girls and so many others. I like seeing comedians on television than drama too. I didn't know about W. C. Fields though and it's very sad to know that he made so many laugh and he was so unhappy that he had to drink.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This is something I did not know: comedians are sad outside of their presentations?

The ones I remember, Jackie Gleason, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Larry Storch, Steve Allen, Johnnie Carson, all seemed pretty well situated psychologically. Except maybe Gleason. He drank a whole bottle of Scotch Whiskey every day. Paid for that with his life.
    Frank

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Not all comedians, but so many are 'sad' inside
    Robin Williams - another classic example
    I think they need the appreciation more and the laughter takes away the pain
    It may be entertainers in general - not so much today though
    One that springs to mind is Mario Lanza he was a tormented soul and that came through in his voice and performance
    Judy Garland too - I guess my point is, the entertainment business was a good outlet for them ..............

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Driven to drink

W.C. Fields did not like to work with dogs or children. "Children...Ah Yes!.....I love children......boiled"!:eek: One of his sponsors was Luck Strike, and they didn't like his referring to his "Cousin, Chester"......:rolleyes: A line of his that i remember was: "Ah Yes! I think I shall dunk my pink and white body, in yonder Roman tub. ....feel a bit gritty, after the affairs of the day".

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oooer o_O - If that's what drink does to ya - stay sober :p