Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I drink a lot of coffee and add a sprinkle of chicory to nearly every pot. A pound of chicory lasts about a year. I just found a K-cup brand that included chicory and ordered that as well.

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No fair @Ken Anderson, what’s the name of the K-cups with the chicory? :rolleyes:

3. Ken Anderson

Registered

Community Coffee. Here's the Amazon link to it. I probably won't like it though, because it's bold and I usually drink the light roast or medium roast. French Market makes some too, but it's also bold.

4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks @Ken Anderson , That might just be what I want. I do like a bold dark roast coffee. I’ll drink one or two cups a day, but with the lighter coffees, I’ll drink cup after cup all day long. :(

5. Ken Anderson

Registered

The chicory tends to smooth it out a bit so I might not mind the bold.

Ina I. Wonder and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson My Maternal Grandma used only chicory as coffee, when I was a kid. I recall my Dad quietly disagreeing, in private, of course. Don't remember when my folks let me drink coffee, but it seems it was pretty early on; don't think I took to it then, and that likely pleased them. She pronounced it in Czech, ..... tsikorkoo phonetically. The real spelling I'd have to "wing", maybe zikorko. I tasted it. UGH! Also tasted my Mother's Instant Postum. Double UGH!!
    Frank

Gloria Mitchell likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Registered

From Civil War writings, when real coffee scarce, I gather that chicory alone isn't very good.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Our 12-cup coffeemaker gave up the ghost this last week, and since Bobby drinks at least 1-2 pots full every day, this is a serious catastrophe in this household ! Of course, we have my little 4-cup (translate as 2 mugs full) but that is unusable for Bobby since it has had —- gasp!—— chocolate flavored coffee made in that pot.
    After an Amazon search, we ordered one of the refurbished Flexbrews that does both a pot full of coffee, plus makes single cups with either grounds or k-cups. It arrived, but alas, it was missing the parts that make it usable for k-cups.
    So, it is on its way back to Amazon as I write this.
    We ended up going to Walmart, and got a $10 coffee pot, and one of the single serve brewers that does either grounds or k-cups, and both of those together ended up costing less than what the single Flexbrew coffeemaker had cost.
    Since Robin had given us 2 boxes of k-cup coffee along with the defunct coffeemaker, Bobby can now use those when he wants just one cup more instead of having to brew a whole pot.
    I have been using the little filter that takes regular coffee, and making my chocolate cappuccino coffee a cup at a time, and so this is working great for both of us.
    Now, my little 4-cup coffeemaker can be used for when I want hot tea, so it seems like we are back in the coffee-drinking business again.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  9. Maryt Hope

Maryt Hope Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

10. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

Anyone grind their own coffee. This could have been answered in the thread but I'm not going all the way through. I'm looking at grinders now and plan to buy one and use a pour over coffee maker. I want to get better coffee and move away from the instant.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Registered

I have ground my own for years. For the first few years, I used an inexpensive automatic grinder that would grind enough for a pot of coffee in a second. That worked well, but I have since found that the coffee can be made even better if it is ground more gently, so I use a hand-grinder and I like that better. You'll find a picture of it here. The link simply takes you to an earlier post in this thread; it doesn't send you off-site.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. Ken Anderson

Registered

As a follow-up to my earlier post with the pictures, the second coffee grinder is the one that I use all the time. I have figured out how to adjust the grind, and find that it makes better coffee if I don't grind it too finely.

13. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you @Ken Anderson those are really cool looking grinders and I would love to have something like that. I was looking online yesterday at both electric and manual ones. I saw a manual one I liked but one review said the glass jar part that the coffee grinds into had started to chip. I don't know if it was something wrong with the grinder or their improper handling of the grinder, but that's concerning as I'm always very careful with glass. Other reviews stated plastic ones broke. I love the cast iron idea that you have.

I'm going to the store today and may just start with an electric one though I like the idea of hand grinding.

14. Ken Anderson

Registered

There's no glass in any of mine. One is wood and metal, the other is all cast iron. Whether you use a manual or electric grinder, I think you'll prefer it to buying coffee already ground because whole beans stay fresh a lot longer than ground beans, and you can grind only what you'll be using.

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

23658415_10155924329164764_8510687453894150882_n.jpg

Our Communiy Coffee came out with a Christmas coffee. I'm definitely getting me a bag of this one. :)

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  16. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I may try the Community Christmas coffee if I can find it. Be interested to know how you like it if you try it before Christmas..

Babs Hunt likes this.
  17. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Cc.jpg
    Some of our Community Coffee's Offices are having a snow day too. :)

Bill Boggs and Maryt Hope like this.
  18. Maryt Hope

Maryt Hope Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

19. Yvonne Smith

Registered

When we went to the grocery store, I have been looking for some of that Community Coffee Dark Chocolate Mint Christmas Coffee, @Babs Hunt ; but I can only find the regular flavors of Community Coffee here.
    I looked at Walmart, Krogers, and when we went to Sam’s Club. I will check Amazon, they have everything; but I was hoping to just buy a little bag of it to try.
    I have chocolate coffee, and I have lots of mint growing here, so maybe I can make my own ?

20. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter has a bag but I'm going to have to ask her where she got it because I couldn't find it today at Albertson's. I checked on the Community Coffee website the other day and could have ordered a bag of it, but I thought Albertsons would be carrying it so I didn't order it. And my husband was going to check with the Community Coffee salesman at work last week...but the salesman didn't come to the store. So he should be coming this week and Steven will ask him about it and buy me a bag if he has some.

I called my daughter a few minutes ago and she said she got the coffee from Albertsons, so they just might be out of it when I went today. She's going to give me some of her bag to try. She said the flavor is real mild and she liked it better when she bought a peppermint flavored chocolate creamer to go with it.

For some reason it seems someone does not want me to try that bag of coffee! :)

21. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I tried making my own today, and it actually turned out pretty good (for an experiment). I have the chocolate coffee and I picked some fresh mint, chopped it up and put it in with the coffee grounds, and then made a small pot of coffee with it. I think that I could use less mint next time, but it has a good blend of mint and chocolate mixed in with the coffee flavor.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  22. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

You could always swirl a peppermint stick through your chocolate coffee too. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  23. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Stilll haven't found any Christmas coffee. I'm currently drinking the community breakfast blend.

24. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I keep my coffee simple and then use liquid creamers to flavor it...works for me.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  25. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I'm having trouble finding a bag of that Christmas coffee too Bill. Community Coffee is really good about their special coffee's during Holidays, etc...I just don't know what the problem is this time but I think I'm going to add a comment on their FB page and tell them how hard it is finding the Christmas coffee in stores.

We use the Breakfast blend and mix it with a bag of Hazelnut or French Vanilla...even the Golden Caramel flavor for our favorite coffees. :)