Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I drink a lot of coffee and add a sprinkle of chicory to nearly every pot. A pound of chicory lasts about a year. I just found a K-cup brand that included chicory and ordered that as well.

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No fair @Ken Anderson, what’s the name of the K-cups with the chicory? :rolleyes:

3. Ken Anderson

Registered

Community Coffee. Here's the Amazon link to it. I probably won't like it though, because it's bold and I usually drink the light roast or medium roast. French Market makes some too, but it's also bold.

4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks @Ken Anderson , That might just be what I want. I do like a bold dark roast coffee. I’ll drink one or two cups a day, but with the lighter coffees, I’ll drink cup after cup all day long. :(

5. Ken Anderson

Registered

The chicory tends to smooth it out a bit so I might not mind the bold.

Ina I. Wonder and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson My Maternal Grandma used only chicory as coffee, when I was a kid. I recall my Dad quietly disagreeing, in private, of course. Don't remember when my folks let me drink coffee, but it seems it was pretty early on; don't think I took to it then, and that likely pleased them. She pronounced it in Czech, ..... tsikorkoo phonetically. The real spelling I'd have to "wing", maybe zikorko. I tasted it. UGH! Also tasted my Mother's Instant Postum. Double UGH!!
    Frank

Gloria Mitchell likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Registered

From Civil War writings, when real coffee scarce, I gather that chicory alone isn't very good.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our 12-cup coffeemaker gave up the ghost this last week, and since Bobby drinks at least 1-2 pots full every day, this is a serious catastrophe in this household ! Of course, we have my little 4-cup (translate as 2 mugs full) but that is unusable for Bobby since it has had —- gasp!—— chocolate flavored coffee made in that pot.
    After an Amazon search, we ordered one of the refurbished Flexbrews that does both a pot full of coffee, plus makes single cups with either grounds or k-cups. It arrived, but alas, it was missing the parts that make it usable for k-cups.
    So, it is on its way back to Amazon as I write this.
    We ended up going to Walmart, and got a $10 coffee pot, and one of the single serve brewers that does either grounds or k-cups, and both of those together ended up costing less than what the single Flexbrew coffeemaker had cost.
    Since Robin had given us 2 boxes of k-cup coffee along with the defunct coffeemaker, Bobby can now use those when he wants just one cup more instead of having to brew a whole pot.
    I have been using the little filter that takes regular coffee, and making my chocolate cappuccino coffee a cup at a time, and so this is working great for both of us.
    Now, my little 4-cup coffeemaker can be used for when I want hot tea, so it seems like we are back in the coffee-drinking business again.

9. Maryt Hope

Maryt Hope Well-Known Member
    Registered