Christmas Pudding / Cake

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kate Ellery, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_2153.JPG I still make the old fashioned rich fruit cake and a plum pudding for Christmas ...most young ones now days don't like fruit cake or fruit puddings but we do
    I soaked the fruit for both in a little brandy last night and make them both today
    Is it traditional in your part of the world to have a plum pudding / rich fruit cake for Christmas ?

IMG_2152.JPG

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kate Ellery
    Katie, please, what is the address of your location, and how quickly might I get there from the western part of the United States, before there is none left for me??
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry @Frank Sanoica my hubby already has his name on it ..but I've "hid it" and he can't even find the Vegemite when it's right in front of him IMG_1276.GIF
    so I don't think he will find the cake and pudding till Christmas
    I will let you know what it tasted like tho ...is that good enough ..:D:D

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That looks totally delicious, @Kate Ellery ; and I also love fruit cake and look forward to it at the Christmas holiday season. I have never made fruit cake before, so I have only had the kind with candied fruit in it like comes from the grocery store .
    Many years ago when I lived in Missouri, a friend gave me what they called a friendship cake (or something like that) starter. It was similar to a fruitcake in that you took cans of several different kinds of fruit, added sugar, and let those ferment for several days, adding sugar every so often. Then you added cake mix and baked the cake, saving some of the fruit mixture for starter for the next cake, and giving some away to friends, which was why it was called a friendship cake.
    It was not so dark like your fruit cake; but it was one of the best cakes I have ever tasted. I long since lost the recipe (and the starter), so now I just get a tiny fruit cake from the store at theChristmas holiday and enjoy that.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I usually don't eat desserts even on holidays....unless it's bread pudding, that I'll take a bite of and it's enough for me. Thankfully I'm big on sweets. Only get a craving once in a great while. Looks good though, Kate.