Christian Meditation For Peaceful Nights & Positive Days

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lara Moss, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you have trouble falling asleep at night because worries and regrets start to seep into your mind? Do you toss and turn and have bad dreams? Do you wake up not fully refreshed?

I seem to have turned a corner just since retiring a year ago. I used to have thoughts from what went on TODAY just before going to sleep and usually positive, but now, this past year, I've laid my head on the pillow and have immediately gotten flashbacks of my YESTERYEARS...thoughts of regrets, hurts, and disappointments. Seems to be a common thing as we age.

I pray at bedtime and ask God to replace those negative memories and regrets with positive ones as I lay my head on the pillow and that has proven quite helpful...when I remember to do it. I often fall asleep in the middle of the prayer.

When I Close My Eyes
    A Christian Meditation Prayer for Bedtime...

A Christian Meditation Morning Prayer

Karen McKenzie and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Lara, here is a bedtime prayer from The Book of Common Prayer, that we have used.

"Be present, O merciful God, and protect us through the hours of this night,
    so that we who are wearied by the changes and chances of this life,
    may rest in your eternal changelessness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen"

Lara Moss likes this.
  4. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

It's not just for babies...

Lara Moss and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Karen McKenzie

Registered

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8

Joe Riley likes this.
  6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

This thread made me teary-eyed…in a good way. Thank you Karen and Joe for adding such sweet, peaceful, beautiful, additions to the thread with scriptures, prayers, music, and poetry. I will be revisiting this tonight before I lay my head on my pillow. This is a loving and healing place to dwell. God is love. I'm grateful.

I like the technique shown in the video in this link. It's not faith-based but very good as well. It's 8 ways to have peaceful thoughts before bedtime: http://goodrelaxation.com/2013/03/have-only-peaceful-thoughts-before-bed/

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Joe Riley and Karen McKenzie like this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If worries keep me from sleeping, I say, "You know, I've done all I can do today. You take over for tonight and I'll take it in the morning." Then I turn over and go to sleep.

8. Karen McKenzie

Registered

That's a wonderful way to be. Someone told me once..lay your burdens at His feet..let go of them. I think sometimes I just don't. I have struggled with sleep issues nearly my whole life. I have great compassion for those with sleep issues.

My husband never ever had sleep issues and he worked shifts for years. An earthquake could happen and he'd sleep right through it. It seems since he's retired that has changed and he sometimes has trouble sleeping. I find prayer and meditation helpful...the scripture I posted is one I think of during difficult times..because it's just good mental health...thinking on positive things..lovely things.

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Karen, that scripture is one of my favorites too. The other thing you said "lay your burdens at His feet" reminds me of another scripture, "Cast all your burdens upon Him for He cares for you". Shirley, perfect solution you mentioned :). Like that bumper sticker…"Let go. Let Him". I find it hard to let go though. I trust in Him but I forget, now and then, that He's there for me.

Joe Riley and Karen McKenzie like this.
  10. Karen McKenzie

Registered

Lara..yes, I think it's my fault if I don't let them go..I believe it is His wish that we have good rest and lean on Him. I realize I'm just this finite human..but He is infinite in love and wisdom.

Joe Riley and Lara Moss like this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I like Philippians 4:6&7, from the Message Bible, about turning your worries into prayers!;)

6 "Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns.
    7 Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life".

Lara Moss likes this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

This song rocked me to sleep tonight...
    Reminds me of James 4:6 “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”

Tim McGraw "Always Stay Humble and Kind"

Joe Riley likes this.