Cheap Summer Cooling Idea!

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am not sure if this would work for us out here in Alabama, or other people who live where there is a lot of humidity in the summer; but I can see it being something that would work in the drier climates, and it is similar to the idea for cooling that @Frank Sanoica showed us a while back.
    The basic idea is similar to what Frank did with the water, blowing cooled-down air into the house through a fan; however, this one also involves using one of the whole house fans, or one similar to that might work.
    What the person did was use a moisture-absorbing pad in a window, and the air cools as it is drawn in past the water-soaked pad, as the water is being pumped up to the absorbent pad and then dribbles down through it to be re-used.
    This air would add humidity to the house air if it stayed and was then recirculated; but this is where the whole houe fan comes in; because the fan sucks the hotter air up into the attic and out of the house; so there is always fresh cool air coming in .
    The video explains it much better than I can do; but this will at least give you an idea of what you are going to be watching him build and operate. He said his house is about 1700sqft, and it costs him about $12 per month o keep it cool uing tthis method.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well it saves a lot but I have whole house A/C and although it's a lot more a month, it hasn't been too bad because I'm always gone for at least a week or two each month. This is the longest I've been home in years and I'm going to be shocked at my bill because it's been hot and air has been on 24/7. :(

I save in the winter though.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Go even cheaper and use a hand held fan and drink ice cold water for that's what we do locally at home and we got the fan going full blast in my room. My Mom loves the warmer weather and I don't so she doesn't use the fan as much as I do. We drink gobs of ice cold water all the time and it's okay to keep cool and save money like this. :D

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a whole house A/C; but it does not do a very good job. We mostly use the small A/C units in the front room , where we are most at in the daytime, and then a small one that is in our bedroom for at night. Plus, we go outside and cool off in the pool during the heat of the day.
    This looked like a good way to help with cooling and still save money.

I remembered that @Texas Beth was commenting that her A/C had gone out. I think that in Texas, it would maybe be dry enough heat that she could use this idea; but maybe not.
    I know that there is a lot of humidity further south , where @Ina I. Wonder and @Diane Lane both live.

However...... I looked some more, and found this idea, which would be EASY for @Bobby Cole to make, and since the water stays contained, it could be used anywhere.
    Possibly, Ina could put her grandson to work making one of these cooling fans ?

Ina I. Wonder and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I once told someone, if they wanted their evaporative cooler to throw even cooler air than just water provided, dump a gallon of alcohol in the tray every so often! Breathing air containing lots of alcohol vapor might even ease the uncomfortable heat in some other way!
    Frank

6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've heard these work well in arid conditions, and are popular in Arizona. It's definitely very hunid down here along the coast. I keep all of the blinds abd curtains closed and lights off during the day, and the ceiling fans on in the frequently used rooms.

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

The problem with fans - they eventually just circulate the warm air ............

8. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

In the metroplex area of Texas we already have a lot of humidity. We need less in order to feel cooler. Dry heat is much less oppressive than wet heat.