Changing Of The Seasons

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Diane Lane, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Finally, I woke up to a somewhat cool house and no air conditioning blowing. It dropped into the 50s last night, which was a blessing. I love the cooler weather, and am already feeling a bit more motivated. The neighbor hung her Fall wreath the other day. I haven't done that, but I did change out the art work at my tea station. I put up Garden Study, by John Singer Sargent. I wanted something a bit darker, as a nod to the change of seasons.

I'll soon start baking more, since the house won't be as hot, and the heat of the oven will actually be enjoyable for a change. I'll be buying my usual big pumpkin for out front, although I don't carve mine. It lasts a lot longer that way, and I leave it out there through Thanksgiving. I also have a faux Jack O'Lantern that I put in the window. It has a bulb inside and I like to light it at night around Halloween. How do y'all celebrate the changing of the seasons?

garden study.jpg

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I just say 'goodbye humidity' and grin a lot without having to bear it :D
    The nights are cooler so the cover is back on the bed even though I sling my half off
    No fan whirring away either - yes, nice it is :) And cooking, yea, change of menu - FAB !

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Except for the dread of the winter to come, fall is my favorite season.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We only have 2 seasons here - wet and dry. But for my personal perspective, we get excitement at the arrival of the cold weather, not the rainy though but the cold weather with fog in the morning. It is a sort of indication that the Christmas season is nearing. Some houses are already decorated even if December is still a few weeks away. And not to be outdone, Christmas songs can be heard on the radio not to mention the malls and supermarkets. And with the cooler temperature comes our savings on electricity since the air conditioner gets its deserved rest.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Not having the air conditioner on is something I really like about Fall. The system makes a lot of noise, and irritates me, as well as the cats. For a few days, and maybe a few weeks, I'll be able to open the windows, at least for a while each day, and that will air the place out. I don't like how stuffy it gets, and even in the winter, I'll sometimes open the windows a bit. It doesn't get nearly as cold here as it does in much of the country, and I enjoy the crisp air. I like having the air in the bedroom a bit chilly when I go to bed, and it makes the covers feel even more inviting. I definitely dreaded the really long cold winters in Boston, although I did enjoy about a month of it. It's just too difficult to get out and about in that severe cold, especially on a daily basis to and from work and/or school. A lot of my family (when they were alive) had summer places in New Hampshire and winter places in Florida, and to me, that was the best of both worlds. I'm looking forward to my next grocery trip, because I'm sure there'll be lots of pumpkins, gourds and squashes on display.