Cctv

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We had plans of installing CCTV in our house when our housemaid ran off with some valuables. At least we could monitor the house and check what the housemaid is doing. But my husband had a change of mind when he thought deeply about it. The monitoring of the CCTV would only distract us with our work in the office. Besides, it would only add stress to us when we see petty mistakes of the housemaid when alone in the house.

Do you have a CCTV or do you plan to have?

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

At first I didn't know what you were talking about, I had never heard of it referred to as ccTV before. But apparently you are talking about one of those types of security survelience things that home owners now use or as some call it a nanny cam. I don't have one, but I can understand why some indviduals would want it. Especially if they live alone and they want to find out if all is well at home. I think such a system does have a purpose, but like you said it can also be destracting to people as well if they don't keep it straight why they got the system to start with which is mainly for security purposes.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm thinking of getting something similar, in that I will be able to look in on things, but my real purpose for it to monitor the temperatures in the house. They have a security system that is intended for that; it will call me if the temperature gets below a prescribed setting, or I can have it call someone else like a neighbor. A couple of winters ago, we were up north when something went wrong with out heating system, and we had about fifty breaks in our water and heating systems, and I was stuck living in the house alone without water over Christmas. My wife likes to get away from the cold sometimes in the winter, and she is already talking about spending part of the winter in Fayetteville, North Carolina, where our daughter has a house. She's in the Army and is going to be stationed elsewhere for a while, so we're thinking of housesitting. Personally, I'd rather stay here since, if you've never lived in a cold-weather area, it's not so easy to leave your house in sub-zero weather. It can be winterized, with the water and heating lines drained, but then we can't just flick a switch and have things working again when it comes time to move back, and houses that are vacant during the winter often suffer problems.

So we will probably leave everything on, but with the heat turned down to 50 degrees or so. The problem there is that the oil company won't deliver oil unless a path is shoveled for them, and I'm not sure that one tank will get us through the winter. Maybe if we fill it just before we leave.

4. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was living at my parents's home, a bit more than 6 years ago, I had a CCTV system to spy my cousins, LOL

The family house was my grandmother's legacy for my father and my uncle, giving each of them the top and bottom floor to live in, respectively.

Living in the top floor of the house gave a privileged location to watch over what happened in the yard without having to be seen looking out the window, having the CCTV monitor next to my computer.

This way, I was able to see how one of my cousins used to snatch the correspondence, some other to deny me to people knocking at the door, and so on.

It was funny at first, but eventually watching the activity in the yard was making me hating them, and hatred was mining my health, so I decided to remove the camera, but to forgive them, I had to move out the house years later to let distance healed my soul.