Cancer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's the next dose up from mine I think.

It took me awhile to finally settle on a dose

I went from .50 to .100, then finally .88 has been a good dose for years now.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since you still have a thyroid, that's probably why it's a lower dose. What symptoms did you have that indicated that you need a higher dose?

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson you sound like you might be a bit tips from your pain meds, but that good until your soreness goes. Your prognosis sounds promising, and now you should start to notice a few differences that will surprise you. Little things you weren't even aware of.

You taught me something I didn't know. The thing about the thyroid and how it effects your calcium. Let us know how you progress in the future. You never know who your experience help.

Oh yeah, I take 100 mg's of Levothyroxine daily, and the dosage jumps around regularly.

So get well our mighty leader, before we get up to too many shenanigans.

4. Ken Anderson

I'm not taking any pain medication. It was offered but I prefer not to. I didn't sleep much last night but it wasn't the pain so much as it was having to lie on my back. I usually sleep on my side.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I'm just use to your sentence structure being a bit different. :p

Michelle Anderson likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

I'm a little briefer because I'm using my iMac and it hurts a bit for me to lift my head up to see the screen. I am also very tired, as I didn't sleep well last night.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

As a Prostate Cancer Survivor myself I can truly say "I know how you feel" Ken.
    I was diagnosed in 1994 initially by a PSA that had increased from one years test to the next by a amount that concerned my PCP who then referred me to a Urologist. A several core biopsy showed a highly aggressive cancer that fortunately was contained within the Prostate Gland. I sought out the best MD specializing in Prostate Cancer and found him at Stanford University Hospital. He explained the different options and their pros and cons. Radiation, Seed Implantation, Robotic Surgery I passed on and decided on a Radical Prostatectomy. I had a great recovery and though I was freed of cancer every twinge or glitch in my body during the following months and years made me wonder if the cancer was back. In 2007 I was diagnosed with a disease totally unrelated to the Prostate Cancer called Waldenstrom's. Its a Non Hodgkins Lymphoma & more recently I have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The Lymphoma and the Rheumatoid Arthritis are both Auoto Immune Diseases neither of which is curable, but is treatable. What I think is interesting about my medical history is that from my post surgery Prostate operation up until just the last year I played golf twice a week, scuba dived regularly, played Pickle Ball regularly, went on 5 cruises, much travel to Asia & Australia & Europe,lived in New Zealand
    Now, at age 82 I have had to cut out the more active activities and resign myself to walks and occasional ping pong.
    I have had a great life so far and feel so fortunate to have been able to do all the things that I did & when I depart this life it will not be from any of the conditions that I had or now have.

Almost forgot. I had my Thyroid Gland removed in 2004 due to Multiple Toxic Nodules (non cancerous.

8. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I empathize with your feelings. However, count yourself forever lucky that yours was detected. My brothers levels always came back within nornal limits. It wasn't until he began having strong pain in his jaw and neck that it was eventually discovered that he had stage 4 prostate cancer despite the "normal" lab.

I am not writing this to scare you, but to say you are so lucky. Once your cancer was found, and treated, you are now clear. My brother is 63, he is 5 foot 10 and now weighs 115. He has had chemo and radiation and is on 2 testosterone suppressants.

PLEASE don't waste today with worrying until the doctor SAYS to you it has returned. Your story could have turned out much different. You are a lucky man. Revel in that good fortune.

Diane Lane and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

I could still get prostate cancer, since I opted for radiation alone. Because of past stomach surgeries, I was not a candidate for seed implantation and, oddly enough, one of the reasons I opted not to have a prostatectomy was the fear of a urinary catheter. I know that most people say that they are not so painful but I have had them before, and the insertion has been the most painful experiences I have ever had, and that include a strangulated hernia. What I didn't realize was that they inserted a urinary catheter while they were determining where to aim the radiation and yes, it was very painful. I almost opted for watching and waiting instead of treatment, since I was asymptomatic at the time. I tried to learn more about prostate cancer before deciding on a treatment, and even bought a very long book on the subject but, to be honest, I couldn't make myself read it, since everything sounded so horrible. In the end, I looked at the statistics that said that the success rates were about the same regardless of the type of treatment chosen, and went for the one that seemed the simplest. Five years later, I'm still having problems attributable to the radiation treatments.

Yes, @Ren Tanner, I tend to attribute every new pain or sensation to cancer. Once you've had cancer, I think that's normal, and I've had two now.

Diane Lane and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Mostly very tired, plus my bloodwork showed that the dose was not right.

Eventually I think my mom was on .88 mcg too. At first she was on .100 like you.

I don't know why I'm putting the . In front of the number. It's mcgs though not mgs.

Ina, are you sure yours is mgs?

Also, I'm going you have to have my parathyroid checked because that's what controls calcium and my calcium was very slightly elevated last bloodwork.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Also, how is your voice? @Ken Anderson ...do you sound the same?

I didn't want to say anything before the surgery but my mom's changed very slightly...not much though and it didn't bother her. I just noticed it because I didn't talk to her every day.

12. Ken Anderson

It's hard to tell yet because it's still sore from the intubation, probably.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Mine are in micrograms (mcg.)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Your correct @Chrissy Page , it is 100 mcg's. I went and looked.

I have what is called a compromised immune system. I was born with it, underdeveloped lungs, and have had more things wrong with me than I can even remember. I spent much of my childhood in hospitals, and have had to see doctor every month since I my mid teens.

I had a blood clot on my frontal lobe at 7, and spent 9 month in a hospital while they desolved it. I broke my back at nine, and stayed at the Houston Shriners hospital for a year because I was paralyzed from the waist down. At 10 they found a heart murmur, At nineteen I had my first abdominal cancer followed by radiation. At 21 I was diagnosed with TB, and that was a three year course of treatment. At 25 I was diagnosed with RA and osteoporosis, At 26 the cancer came back, and they did a more radical surgery that was followed by chemo. Since then I've had both feet, both knee, both hands operated on, and two more stem to stern operations. Thyroid has always been an issue, and now 'they're' talking about surgery on my aorta valve in the near future.

But science is great !!!!

Plus I understood at a very young age that my health could frighten me, and direct my life if I let it. Or, I could let it make me stronger. It made me fight harder to have as normal a life as I could make it.

I admit though, it was easier to be strong and brave when there were others watching.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg

These are mine and I could have sworn I got 90 last month, if I didn't look before I left home then looks like I'll have to go to the walgreens here...drat!!