Can You Keep A Secret?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Babs Hunt, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Are you the kind of person who can really keep a secret when someone asks you to do so? Or do you end up sharing that secret with another person...whether that person is your spouse or your best friend, etc. Have you ever shared someone's secret and they found out and got really mad at you for sharing it?

When I was younger I absolutely was not very good at keeping secrets. I had good intentions and never deliberately shared that secret with others...but as long as it was in my head...sooner or later in a moment of not thinking...that secret was going to end up popping out of my mouth. The really funny thing was though, that in alot of cases the person who told me the secret had also shared it with quite a few other people who coudn't keep secrets either. :) I definitely apologized a few times in my life for letting the "cat out of the bag" to speak...even if those people I let it out with already knew it too.

Then one day when I was older I met this new woman for the first time and right off the bat she told me: "If you have anything you don't want others to know, please don't tell me because I cannot keep a secret!" I had never met someone that honest about this kind of thing before...and it made me think...alot. I decided that I either had to learn to think before I spoke, or I was going to be like my new friend and just tell people from the start not to say anything to me that they didn't want others to know...because even if I did speak unintentionally...it still was wrong. I also started being more aware of what is private info and should stay that way.

I have happy to say that I can keep a secret now...but I would prefer not to know that secret especially if it involves someone else I know and care about.

Krissttina Isobe and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd rather not know - but, if someone confides I would definitely keep it to meself, if I needed to tell for advice, it would be to Sparky
    I know he would never tell another soul, so we could weigh up the situation together

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I can keep secrets. If someone tells me not to share the information, then I don't. We all need someone we can trust.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That's the thing I realized @Texas Beth. If someone confided a secret to me...they trusted me not to share it with "anyone" else. We do need people we can trust in our lives. I can be that person now, but when I was younger my mouth would often get ahead of my brain. My mouth can still do that occasionally...but it is a very rare thing indeed these days. :)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

If I'm asked to keep a secret then it stays with me....

Patsy Faye and Babs Hunt like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Love your puppy Avatar @Holly Saunders Is that your puppy? If so, what breed is this?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Babs, she is a Teacup Maltese...and no sadly she's not one of my dogs, but I'd love to have one like her... :D

Babs Hunt likes this.
  9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well the best way to keep a secret is not to say it...we who do surveys have to keep a secret for everything is confidential about taking surveys. :p

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have several bosom friends in high school and until now I still hold their secrets in my vault. As one of them said, I am one person they can trust their secrets with. Even in the office during my younger days, some colleagues who are close to me would tell me their personal problems particularly the issue with their husbands. But I have to admit that I sometimes share those secrets with my husband. Those topics become our conversational pieces when we are together for a long time like when we are traveling.

In the recent years, however, maybe age has caught up with me that no one has been confiding to me anymore. Or maybe those people close to me are not that close anymore.

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny. I thought I could trust Johnny to keep a secret and he blurted it out without thinking it was told in confidence. I can keep a secret but I learned my lesson not to share it with my husband because he can't. :rolleyes:

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think it depends on what the secret is. If keeping a secret would hurt someone else, I would have to weigh that in too, but I don't think I have a problem keeping a secret because of gossiping.

13. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I can keep a secret but I usually find the person who told me tells others too.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That's what I was talking about in my initial post. This happened frequently with my sisters. I have five of them. And one or the other of them were always confiding in me and then they would say: "Please don't tell anyone else what I've told you." So I wouldn't. But then I'd be talking to another one of my sisters and they would just start talking about what my other sister had asked me to keep a secret, I finally figured out that as sisters we just can't help ourselves from sharing with each other and when they say not to tell anyone else, they often "mean" not to tell anyone outside of our sisters. :)