Caesarean Section

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Richard Whiting, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

While scanning the internet, I came across several threads that said the percentages of caesarean sections have DRAMATICALLY increased during the last few years.

In 1990 only 5 % of woman needed to have a C-section, BUT now in the 2020's that percentage has increased to aprox 22 %.

According to the articles I read, many, many more women are CHOOSING C-sections rather than go through normal child birth. ( at least in the U.S. )

The articles said that OB-GYN's charge much more for C-sections is much than for a normal birth . But the articles did not mention whether insurance covers those extra cost IF it is solely the choice of the mother.

I rather curious, what do our female readers have to say about why women are choosing C-sections over normal child birth ?

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I thought a lot of it was from the doctor's side, since you get a C-section at a prearranged time, versus not knowing when labor is going to start or how long it may take. I'm not sure I buy the "by choice" statement.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Richard Whiting

Registered

If the articles are correct then the percentage of C-sections has increased from 5% in 1990 to 22 % in 2020. What other possible reason could there be than choice ? Surely, women's bodies could not have changed that dramatically in merely 3 decades.

4. John Brunner

It could be doctors "recommending" (or pressuring) women into getting them as a matter of convenience. I guess women technically have a "choice," but I bet there's pressure.

Here is an article on forced C-sections
    The rise of the c-section is tied not to maternal or fetal outcomes, but to organizational and legal imperatives. To those ends, a woman’s rights to bodily integrity and decision-making–even the right to refuse surgery–are frequently challenged in childbirth.

5. Richard Whiting

Registered

It would probably help if some of our female members jumped in and gave their opinions.

6. John Brunner

Nah. We can figure it out.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Women's bodies have definitely changed; haven't you seen the obesity rates lately? One other factor is that newborn babies are also larger than in the past. I have no idea whether either of these have anything to do with the rate of c-sections, though.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't believe any of the female members (including me) have any idea about why the c-section rates have increased. We can speculate but we don't know anything more than you do.

9. John Brunner

Birth weight trend data is all over the place.

A 2010 Harvard article says "U.S. Birth weights on the decline."
    A 2011 NIH article says babies weight 1# heavier than in 1970 and are 1/2" longer.

A 2022 article puts average birth weight between 6# 9 oz and 7# 11 oz

I still stand by my position that c-sections are pushed on women for convenience and to avoid complications (and the attendant liability.) I've read about it before, and current articles confirm it. Search on "c-sections forced on women" Some of the stuff is disturbing.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I had two babies, one weighed 8 lb and one weighed 9 lb. No doctor ever mentioned a c-section to me, though that was a long time ago. I'd venture to guess that women having "average" size babies would not be included in those having surgery to deliver larger babies. I would not presume to know why the rates of c-section have increased and no amount of googling is going to convince me. Plus, I don't give a damn so there's that. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

Those were big babies. And of course the internet is there to make us all happy: seek and thee shall find whatever thy preferred truth is.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, they were big babies. I'm still mad at Kevin (the 9 pounder).

13. John Brunner

LOL!!!! Guilt. The gift that keeps on giving.

Buy him 2 shirts for his next birthday, then whine about his not liking the one he's not wearing at that moment.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Richard Whiting

Registered

Beth, I found a few more articles and they mentioned that more women are choosing C-section to avoid the pain/stress of normal child birth.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm sure some women may, but having a c-section isn't a walk in the park, either. People do things for all kinds of reasons.

Richard Whiting likes this.