Byrna , Self-defense Weapon

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was just reading about these on Twitter today, and they seem like something that would be good to have around.
    They have CO2 power to shoot, and more powerful than a regular BB gun, and not as powerful as a regular gun.
    There are no restrictions on weapons like this, like there are for a gun that shoots bullets, and you do not need to pass any requirements to own one.

It looks to me like it could at least disable an intruder, and depends on the type of cartridge you have loaded in the weapon.
    It can shoot several different types of bullets, and it is pretty quiet also.
    This one costs over $500, so not cheap, and I saw that there was a cheaper model as well.
    Does anyone here know about how well these work, or have used one, or something similar ?

IMG_6318.jpeg

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

They can shoot nylon or aluminum projectiles, and also have chemical ones. Shooting tear gas at an invader would probably stop them, assuming you could escape without tear-gassing yourself.

So, after watching some videos, and seeing a guy deliberately getting shot with one of these, it appears that it hurts enough that it would probably stop an intruder, ,and sonce they didn’t know that it was not an actual bullet that hit them, they would also think they might be killed with the next shot.
    However, if someone is totally there to kill you and is determined, it would not stop them, but neither might a regular gun if they were not severely wounded.

IMG_6320.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  3. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Maybe better than nothing, but remember, ads that want to produce sales will exaggerate the effectiveness.
    Here is a better test with people who don't sell the product. And remember, this shooter is doing a much-more difficult course than a typical robbery or mugging that happens at much-closer distances: Tested with both impact and chemical projectiles (Test starts at 2:30)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I don't know that I'd just want to piss someone off. I would not want to start a gun fight with it, not would I respond to real gunfire with it. The negative Amazon reviews say that the CO2 cartridge leaks down, so you would not be able to keep it loaded & ready by the bedside.

Maybe it would be OK for non-lethal critter control, but there would be better cheaper options.

Don Alaska and Tony Nathanson like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

An anti gun friend of mine said she keeps a can of wasp spray handy. My fear was in getting sued after blinding someone after use. Directions say not to use in a way not recommended.:confused:

6. Tony Nathanson

Registered

Your concern is justified. Years ago, during a chat with an attorney, I asked him about using a spray insecticide or other chemical for non-lethal self defense. He said it was a bad idea & would expose someone to prosecution even if a firearm was justified in that particular situation. Sorta strange that you can kill an attacker but you can't damage their eyes. Pepper spray or mace are approved because they are specifically made so they don't cause permanent damage.

7. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I see these as a lability rather than an asset to your safety...

Andrea Klasa and John Brunner like this.
  8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A can of hair spray and a Bic lighter make for a pretty
    lethal looking flamethrower. Also an irritant if sprayed
    into the eyes. Chances are good that you may never
    need to use it but if it buys you peace of mind ...

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Ed Wilson likes this.
  11. John Brunner

I saw a good video test when those first came out. If the bad guy is wearing thick clothing (not even a coat), the .410 shot does not penetrate. Of course, the BOOM! might be sufficient deterrent.

Ed Wilson and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. John Brunner

I think that was in a Bond movie when someone put a snake in his (Sean Connery's) room.

Mary Stetler and Jack Roberts like this.
  13. Tony Nathanson

Registered

It depends on the load. At very close range, bird shot (small pellets) will not spread & will penetrate enough to case a fatal wound.
    If Buckshot is used, the 410 will be fatal. In fact, it has been used to kill:
    This woman talked three of her high-school students into killing her husband. They used a single-shot 410 shotgun.
    The trio caught a ride into Milwaukee, where Mike bought a sawed-off .410 shotgun from one of his gang connections. Then, in the early morning hours of April 4, the three teens went to the Borchardt home. When they arrived, Mike grabbed the shotgun and said, “Let’s do this,” and led the way

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr...iane.htm/RK=2/RS=Skqpz3MyHlG9sRnH6wNSptKJTj0-

Ed Wilson and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

I don't think a .410 handgun will get the pattern or the velocity of a shotgun. I think that was the main failure.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You have to be careful using a non-lethal gun. If an attacker sees you with a gun, they may have a lethal one and simply shoot you to avoid being shot themselves. The Taurus Judge rescued the .410 cartridge from obscurity, but I have read so many bad reviews of the gun that I have never tried one. It sounds good at short range though.

I think a Taser (one that fire darts) or pepper spray would be good options for most people, especially those uncomfortable around firearms.