Bucketlist; Anyone Have One?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Jake Smith, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have one thing that I would like to do before I die. May sound crazy; to others. But to me, it's "important". I want to go back and stand up where my brother's horse, had slid down on top of me; on the pavement, before I die, and just look around; where our house was that we grew up in, and think about how far I've been since she sent me to the hospital.

I'm sure others here; have way more important things they want to do, but this has always stayed on my mind since I was 14 yo and I intend to do it before I pass. My brother who owned her had health problems and couldn't ride her, and I was ready to ride. I Rode her for a couple of years, and one day my younger brother wanted to go, and I was really protective of him; being my only younger brother; I wasn't gonna let anything happen to him. So stupid was I; so I decided I would put my bridle on him; so I knew he would be able to stop him; It was a 'Mistake" that I learned the "hard way.

We were riding on the dirt road beside the house, and they took off headed for the payment; he jumped off; and I didn't; so when she hit the payment; I turned her away from the house thinking that was smart, it wasn't; she landed right on top of me on pavement, wide open, and the right stirrup twisted my right leg completely around backward. I was up before her, limped over to my cousin's driveway, and twisted my leg back straight. My younger brother came up to me bleeding all over, and I said my leg is broken; he said you sure; and looked at it. Then he said; it is. :eek:

The ambulance driver took me to the hospital; really slowly and kept throwing me back and forth as if he had some kind of a problem with me. :rolleyes:

Got me three steal pins and six months of a cast; from my hip to my toes. :(

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  2. Jake Smith

Registered

Some people want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane; for their bucket list; so who's the craziest? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine may be a challenfe now.

I want to dive on the reef one more time, but not sure what condition it is in now and I'm not in that good of condition myself. But I'd sure try it if we could afford the 350 mile trip to The Keys and the charter boat that takes you to the reef isn't cheap either. In clear water it is one of the most beautiful places on earth under the water the colors of fish and fauna is just amazing.

4. Jake Smith

Registered

This was a funny movie.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Jake Smith

Registered

It would be more of a "challenge now", for sure, but definitely be doable. :)

6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I never had much of a bucket, nothing’s truly a burning desire. Most things I wanted to try just involved me doing them and I have. The only one that sort bring a wistfulness to me is that I would like to have ridden in a top fuel dragster once down the strip.

Here’s an actual race for those that might not have heard of this type thing. The actual race is at about the 1:15 mark, it takes less than 4 seconds.
    This was some time ago. The hottest person in top fuel lately is a young gal, Brittany Force.

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess thats about as close to flying as you can get.:D

Jake Smith likes this.
  8. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yeah, the g forces and sheer power are unreal. Take a gander at this, about what goes on with a top fuel car and bear in mind this is at least 10 years old. For example, cars running today are believed to produce over 10,000 [sic] HP (difficult to measure). The fuel system can pump over 70 gal/minute of nitromethane fuel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/1y4zap/top_fuel_by_the_numbers/

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter 'twin-turbo' powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.”

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Jake Smith

Registered

Cool they hall azz, quick to finish. :D

Thomas Windom likes this.