Breakfast Goulash

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although it doesn't fit the definitions of goulash that I see elsewhere, that's what my dad called it when he made it. Dad cooked breakfast on Saturdays, and it was usually the same thing, but we loved it.

I prepare it once or twice a week and, in the tradition of my father, I don't measure anything. It goes something like this. Dad only used one kind of pepper but, after twenty years near the Mexican border, I have come to prefer more.
    • Dice up three or four small potatoes. I prefer red, but any potatoes will work.
    • Using a small amount of olive oil in a deep skillet, start the potatoes to cook on medium heat, turning them over every now and then. I like to cover it but that's not essential.
    • Cut up some bacon, making about four pieces out of each strip.
    • Start the bacon frying in another skillet. Dad used to use the same skillet but I find all of that bacon grease to be too greasy for my tastes.
    • Cut up one strip of bacon, and add to the potatoes.
    • Chop up one onion, a Jalapeño pepper and, for color, two or three different kinds of bell peppers. Add that to the potatoes.
    • Broil some spicy Italian sausage. Polish sausage works too, but I prefer spicy Italian.
    • When the bacon is not quite crisp, empty it onto a paper towel and, using another paper towel, remove most of the grease from it. Then add it to the potatoes.
    • When the sausage has broiled, cut it up into pieces and add it to the potatoes. Turn the heat up higher, so that the potatoes are well done and brown, but not burned.
    • Mix a couple of eggs into a small amount of milk, as if you were going to make scrambled eggs.
    • Pour the egg/milk mixture over the potatoes. At this point, sometimes I will cover the skillet and let the egg cook on top of everything else. But at other times, I'll mix it into the potatoes. It's good either way.
    • My wife likes it if I melt some cheese over the whole thing but I prefer it without, so I melt cheese over her part of it.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

HMMM It sounds like a version of fritatta. I love making these because they are so simple. Mine usually have a potato base, cooked until tender, then some kind of breakfast meat with onions a bell peppers, sometimes mushrooms. The the scrambled eggs poured over it, cooked for a bit until the eggs start to cook, then sprinkled with some kind of cheese and popped until the oven until the eggs are set. A favorite on Saturday and Sunday mornings at my house with some toast.

3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

This is exactly what I was thinking that this does sound like a fritatta. Well, except for the part with the meat being added, the frittata that I made in the past only had the potatoes and egg in it. But this way sounds very good as well. The only problem I have is my brother's they will be asking where the potatoes are, and where the meat is. I have a hard time explaining that its all in one dish. One of them had an issue with the potatoes and eggs being together so I started to make the fritta wihtout the potatoes, and putting the potatoes on the side.

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds good, hope you don't mind if I try it out soon.

5. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy eating goulash, but for dinner as a starter soup, I think that for breakfast it's too much. :D

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What is there about fried potatoes, bacon, sausage, and egg that doesn't spell breakfast?

7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yum, that sounds about the same ingredients that we make for Sunday hash (brunch), but cooked differently. I'd probably eat it with or without the melted cheese, regardless, it sounds delicious!

8. Susan Brown

Susan Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

This sounds so good. I am definitely going to give it a try over the weekend. We always like having a big breakfast on the weekends. Through the week we are just too busy. Thanks for sharing.