Black People Afraid Of Wood?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, May 26, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Mickey Fearn, the National Park Service Deputy Director for Communication and Community Assistance has stated recently that black people don’t visit national park because they associate them with slaves being lynched by their masters.

Nevertheless, the Seniors Only Club forum will not bend to political pressure by banning the discussion of trees, parks, or wooden furniture. If any of you are offended by wood, this may not be your safe space. I apologize in advance for my insensitivity.

Ike Willis, Von Jones and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I am not offended, Ken and appreciate your thoughtfulness. I happen to love nature walks. After Johnny and I were married we would take road trips to some of the state parks here in Ohio and Arkansas. Personally, we can't afford to get to National Parks in the States.

Seeing that Fearn is an African American himself I wonder why he would make such a statement publicly.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I'd wonder what the percentage of Asians and Hispanics are that visit National/State Parks. When we went to RMNP (Rocky Mountain National Park), YNP (Yellowstone National Park) and Custer State Park, we didn't see any African-American's, Asians or Hispanics tourists. I just don't think they are interested in going to big Parks or seeing wildlife like Whites are.

Von Jones and Ike Willis like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

I just thought it was such a bizarre thing to say that I had to make fun of it. I know plenty of black people who camp, including my grandchildren.

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

While we're on the subject of camping and wood(s)...
    I really liked the Burt Reynolds bow & arrow scene in "Deliverance".;):cool:

Linda Binning likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Ike Willis likes this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

This "Job" was created for Mickey Fearn. I guess it proves the Present Resident can "create jobs"..... one job at a time.;)

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

QUOTE="Ken Anderson, post: 82798, member: 2"]I just thought it was such a bizarre thing to say that I had to make fun of it. I know plenty of black people who camp, including my grandchildren.[/QUOTE]

When we've gone to Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Academy, I don't think we've ever seen any African-American's, Asians or Hispanics shopping. Guess they go to Wal Mart or somewhere else. Also, camping among these groups would be found more areas of high demographics for each group. However, I just read a story on a website, written by a young lady who is African-American, and she said that quite a number of African-American's go camping. That could be very true, but where at I have no idea.

Another thing, since we've been power boating here in Jax, FL (started in 2009), we've only met one African-American couple (young) ,on the water, that had a power boat. They were very nice.

10. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

The logic, such as it is, boggles the mind.
    Walmart? Maybe they go to Cabela's.

Last couple times I went to Nordstrom I didn't see any Asians. Guess they go to Goodwill thriftshops.

:rolleyes:

Ruby Begonia and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I still think the demographics of an area tells "who does what".
    Have never seen any African Americans, Asians or Hipanics in a Bass Pro Shop either.

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I would like to think that unfamiliarity and privacy would be the two most reasons that Blacks or other minorities elect not to see these activities as Whites do.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

When we've gone to Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Academy, I don't think we've ever seen any African-American's, Asians or Hispanics shopping. Guess they go to Wal Mart or somewhere else. Also, camping among these groups would be found more areas of high demographics for each group. However, I just read a story on a website, written by a young lady who is African-American, and she said that quite a number of African-American's go camping. That could be very true, but where at I have no idea.

Another thing, since we've been power boating here in Jax, FL (started in 2009), we've only met one African-American couple (young) ,on the water, that had a power boat. They were very nice.[/QUOTE]

Cody...I can only hazzard a guess that you don't realise that this forum as well as probably every forum on the internet ..has black, brown and asian members as well as white...why don't you just ask them directly on here if you have a genuine query about their activities.. if you truly believe they are so very different from whites!!...

I certainly don't think activities, shopping, hobbies or anything else has anything to do with the colour of anyone's skin.....

I'm sure I see very many white ''poor folks'' in our equivalent of Walmart than I do non-whites ..in fact one of the most beautiful and clean shopping areas here in London is the japanese centre (mall)...the families go shopping beautifully dressed , exceptional manners...and ....just a smattering of non asians .... (not something I can say for the majoirty of the aforesaid Walmart or similar style supermarkets)

I hope you don't feel I'm being critical of you in any way..I'm not I'm just not sure you're aware that there are well educated non whites on this forum..and are I'm sure very willing to discuss or explain (if need be) any preconceptions you may have about the difference in skin colour or culture with regards to their 'activities'..

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just like some Whites, Blacks either can't afford a power boat or they simply are into that type of water sports. And, I've never seen Blacks, Asians or Hispanics water skiing, tubing, snow skiing or playing hockey. A person would never see a White person doing Native American dancing, unless the person had some Native American ancestry in them.
    One thing I have found out, not all Races do the same activities. Culture can dictate that.
    There are Whites that don't like Middle Eastern foods (like us) and there are those that do. I don't see Asians watching NFL.

15. Ken Anderson

My question wasn't so much about whether or not they camp (although I do hate making assumptions about large groups), but that they didn't like national forests because it reminded them of their ancestors being lynched. That just seems weird.

Sheldon Scott likes this.