Black Friday Sales

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diane Lane, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to go back in the day, before they got as crazy as they are now, with brawls and violence. I got a great deal on a television one day on Thanksgiving at KMart. It was very early morning, and a friend and I ran by and got it while we were out picking up last minute ingredients for our Thanksgiving feast we were making at her Grandmother's home.

The last time I went to one was several years back, and all I bought was ammunition.

I'm more of an online shopper, since I don't care for crowds, and I'm glad there are a lot of online deals for Black Friday these days, so I don't have to wait for Cyber Monday. I'm even seeing some pre-Black Friday Sales, which is even better. There seems to be more competition for our dollars this year. I'm hoping I'll get some sales, so I will be able to purchase some sort of Roku and maybe upgrade my tablet. If I do that, I'll sell the one I have, most likely on eBay.

Is anyone planning to attend a Black Friday sale? If so, will you be going in person or shopping online? What's everyone in the market for?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane, I seem not to comprehend what you said about brawls and is it really true that you bought some bullets or is that an idiomatic expression? Pardon my ignorance about that.

With sales, it is a good thing that sales there are real. I have some friends in Seattle, this couple are both retired and their pastime is going on sales. They told me that when there is a sale in one store, they go there an hour before the opening so they get their choice items because when the shoppers flock, the items are soon gone.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I go with my daughter every year, its become a tradition with us! Its actually fun because there is no pressure to get anything really, maybe a few electronic items for the boys for Christmas.

This year she already bought us ugly christmas sweaters to wear! Other years we've worn reindeer antlers and other such headbands.

When we first started going we went out about 4:00 am and would stand in long lines...store we went to were Target, Kohls, Toys R Us, Best Buy, Macys and Walmart.

Now we will just be going to the high end mall in San Jose and maybe Best Buy.

One thing I always get are the flannel jammie pants at Kohls for $6!

When we first started we would make ourselves leftover Turkey sandwiches because we didnt have time to eat and they were delicious.:)

I do remember getting a camera once for a very good price. I never have been anywhere that the crowds were crazy, in fact they were always polite and would help you save a spot in line or whatever.

I look forward to it!

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

These are the sweaters my daughter and I are wearing...

Mine is the polar bear and my daughter is the light up reindeer.
    image.jpg image.jpg

I don't think they are really that UGLY! Lol

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

The sweaters are not ugly at all, they are very cute.

I do not do Black Friday Shopping! I do not do crowds and there is nothing I want that badly to go thru all of that crazy stuff people do.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There is nothing I want at all except the flannel jammies. :) it has become a tradition with my daughter, nothing more. If crowds bothered me I wouldnt go.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We never go to any of the holiday sales, or the post-holiday sales either. In fact, we usually make sure that we don't even need anything from the grocery store, and we stay home and off of the roads on holidays, or the holiday shopping days.
    We made our monthly trip to Sam's Club on Friday, and they have all of the Christmas food and decorations out, and the store was packed. This weekend, Sam's was having some kind of special sale; so I am sure that it would have been totally packed and crazy in there on Saturday.
    There is another Sam's here that is a little further off of the main area; and we have already decided that in December; we will be sure to go to that store instead of the busier one, and we will go early in the month, and on a day that should not be too busy.

There are some amazing sales bargains to be found when they have the pre-Christmas sales, and also the after Christmas closeouts; but there is really nothing that we have to have, so it just does not make any sense to brave the crowds and traffic to go then.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I agree Yvonne, but its not about the bargains or the crowds for us, in some way it has become a tradition and we have FUN!

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Even when my wife couldn't get Black Friday off, we go out that night and hit some stores. We'd get home early enough for her to get a few hours of sleep and then get to work. When she would get Black Friday off, we hit some stores on Thanksgiving night, come home and get a little sleep and then, get back up at 3AM to hit Target. Yes, there were lines and crowds, but neither really bothered us. Like Chrissy, it's sort of a Tradition for us to go out Thanksgiving night and perhaps Black Friday day. We have gotten some great buys from going out on Black Friday!

I also ordered a few movie DVD's online, but bought some at great prices at Wal Mart and Target. Wife got me some Star Wars stuff last year on Black Friday.........some VERY COOL stuff.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The word "brawls" is fist fighting between people. Some people will push and shove others to get a certain Christmas gift, especially if that item is running out on the shelf. This "pushing and shoving" can definitely turn into violence/brawling.

To let you know, many people here will buy new handguns and rifles for Christmas and, the ammunition for them.

Corie Henson likes this.
  11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Online sounds like a good idea but I'm not a fan of shopping no matter what day it is and no matter the venue. My idea of what hell is, is being in a shoe store for eternity. I only go when it's absolutely necessities…never for fun.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Hectic and I don't get along very well together, so no, I don't go to those things.

Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, that sounds like a violent affair. I had seen video clips of news reports on concerts of ultra popular bands like the Beatles of the olden time and of the One Direction of this modern time. There were brawls that erupted in the line for the ticket window. But I didn't know that real brawls do occur during sales. It is unthinkable for that to occur here, not because we are more civil but mainly because buyers here are not used to "real" sales yet. What I mean with REAL sales is what you have there. A 50% discount is really 50%. Over here, a 50% on clothing items corresponds to the damage and the condition of the item. In other words, items with big discounts are the damaged stocks.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never gone to a Black Friday sale, but I have two crazy daughters who live for them.:D I work in retail, so I always get an up close and personal look every year! :eek: I've seen hands crushed, people knocked down and babies in strollers tipped over! Nah it's not something I feel challenged to compete in. Shopping shouldn't be a blood sport. :D

15. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never gone to a Black Friday Sale. I know many people enjoy the fun more than the bargains, but it doesn't do it for me.