Big Soft Ginger Cookies

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Diane Lane, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've made these in the past, and want to make a double batch soon. I'm going to keep some here for me, and mail the rest to my mom. We share a lot of ginger (so did my dad), so I always think of her and my dad when Fall rolls around and I start making ginger cookies, gingerbread, etc. Here's the recipe, it's from Taste of Home.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't bake but I do like ginger cookies. My oldest grandson loves them the most, so does his dad who isn't a sweet eater. Those two are so alike...................too bad.

Don't get me wrong, mY SIL is a good man...just annoys me.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I absolutely LOVE Gingerbread, with the deep flavor of molasses and ginger, though I don't care for the ginger cookies as much; but I think that I have only ever had ones that came from the store, and I am sure that homemade ones would be a whole lot better.
    Of course, I don't indulge in either one of those now because the sugar is such an inflammatory food, and I well know how much I would be hurting and crippling around the house when I do have treats that are sugar-laden.
    A little bit would probably be okay; but when I make a batch of cookies or a nice gingerbread, there is just NO way that I am only going to eat a half slice or one cookie and then quit.
    Plus, even if I did that, then Bobby would be eating all of that inflammatory food, and he would be the one hurting; so we mostly just avoid the whole thing altogether.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

So true. If I make or even buy anything, it's just me who's going to eat it. So, I usually satisfy my sweet cravings at my daughter's house.

She has too many goodies though because of the boys, but thankfully she also has a boatload of healthy food because that's how she eats.

You can get anything you want there...from protein powders and bars to yummy sweets and everything in between.

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That's why I tend to freeze a lot of what I make. I prefer to take it out one or two pieces at a time, and spread out the pleasure it brings. I have friends who cook/bake/buy and eat everything at once, but I like to have a variety in my menu, and freezing is the way I accomplish that goal. I just bought freezer bags the other day, so I'm good to go. They're so much more flexible than the containers, and for some reason, no matter which containers I buy, sometimes the lids come off, and the food gets ruined. I haven't made the cookies yet. I have to pick up some more molasses and butter first, and maybe some sugar, as well.

6. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Sound delicious Diane. Yummy have saved the recipe x

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

The recipe seems delicious and we buy gingersnap cookies from time to time. I'm too lazy to bake these days. Walmart has some very inexpensive cookies and I'll look for some gingersnap cookies next. The recipe looks so good for it uses fresh ginger!

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm the only one in my family that likes ginger anything. I once made gingerbread with lemon icing and I was the only one who ate any. I don't know what can be so bad about the taste of ginger. If the smell of it wasn't so noticeable I wouldn't tell anyone what it was.:D

K E Gordon and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My Dad loved ginger. I suspect the "tanginess" of ginger is not for everyone, though. He would eat ginger-laced anything! Certain meat dishes he craved, I found as a kid to be not very palatable.

He always called the stuff "Zazvor", the Czech for ginger. He likely thought I wouldn't know what that was......I caught on quick! He was born in Chicago, but spoke the Czech language perfectly, as well as English, of course. Quit school after 8th. grade and sought to become a Tool & Die Maker, which required he take drafting courses in night school.

Off thread, I know, but, he DID love ginger, so as a tribute to his fine abilities as a Die Maker, here's the small sample he sawed off after testing the Die Set he built, at the big Ford Plant in Chicago. The finished pieces are 2 feet wide by 10 feet long, with hooks along either side. The top pic shows the top surface, smooth and having the holes formed cupped downwards. Second pic shows the hooks. The piece is about 8 inches wide, just enough to show how it looks. That thing has followed me through from childhood, when it hung on the wall in our garage, all the way till now. It's quite thick, aluminum, about 1/4-inch.

[​IMG]

Underside.
    [​IMG]

Hundreds of acres of sandy flat ground were covered with this stuff, all interlocked together, on the Pacific Island of Tinian, providing a surface for the big B-29s to land on and take off from, as many as 500 missions each 24 hours! My Dad's job was "war critical", and we got extra gasoline for our car!
    Frank

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When talking of home made cookies, I remember my high school classmate who would invite us to her home after school to sample her mother's baking. And I always enjoy their cookies but not ginger (this is not a popular type of cookie here). What I remember was the usual peanut cookies which tasted good for young girls like us. the peanuts are crushed to give the cookies a texture that you can chew on.

11. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

It must be something about the time of year, I have been craving gingerbread too. I will just make a box of prepared though, All the from scratch recipes seem like they will take a lot of time and ingredients. I saw a commercial with gingerbread boys featured and I started craving it.