Bible Translations

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Ken Anderson, May 24, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As I mentioned in another thread, when I was growing up, I think most churches used the King James Version of the Bible, although there were others. Since, I have attended some KJV-only churches, although I don't question the legitimacy of other translations (some I do).

However, in KJV-only churches, the pastor spends half his sermon time translating the KJV into modern English, so that seems a bit impractical.

Having grown up with the King James Version, I automatically do the translation in my head but I can appreciate that an unchurched visitor to the church might be lost.

I enjoy the poetry and the majesty of the King James and I am not so likely to question the translation -- thinking primarily of the political correctness and agendas of the TNIV, the NIV, and others.

For Bible study, I like to have more than one version available, but I would primarily use the KJV, but for regular reading or devotions I like the the NASB, the NKJV, or the Holman. There are others but I am not at home and am drawing a blank.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That wasn't bad for an iPhone.

Joe Riley likes this.