Be Aware Purse Snatching On The Rise

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Krissttina Isobe, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Living on Oahu is pleasant most of the times. Recently the weather is baking us and purse snatching from cars is on the rise!. Yesterday and the day before on KHON local news from Oahu there was a report about a tourist who got her purse snatched by a passing car and she was dragged. The culprits got caught and there was tips of being safer from purse snatching. The site below is where the news of purse snatching:
    http://khon2.com/2015/09/14/weekend-purse-snatching-part-of-rising-crime-trend-against-visitors/.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Why do these people choose to be obnoxiously nasty and not find a good job and earn a decent, respectable living!?

Krissttina Isobe and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

When my car window is down I keep my purse on the floor next to my feet on the driver's side to avoid having some one trying to reach into the car window and steal my purse. Also I don't roll my window down all the way so an arm can get into the car.

Krissttina Isobe and Diane Lane like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I keep mine on the seat next to me, but I do the same as @Pat Baker and keep that window rolled up too far for an arm to grab anything. I'm hypervigilant, and am always on the look out.

Here, the news is always reporting 'sliders' or 'sliding', which is when someone is parked at the gas station, and is off pumping gas, and leaves the car unlocked. People will slide up next to the car where they can't be seen, and reach in and grab (either through the window, or actually open the door) the purse/wallet/laptop, anything they can get their hands on.

There are also 'juggings' where people jostle you as they pass, and pick your pocket or steal your purse. The latest are being called 'bank juggings', where the thieves target people coming from the ATM with cash. http://abc13.com/news/jugging-reports-on-the-rise-in-houston-area/548021/

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When my office was at the back of the most famous Megamall in Metro Manila, I had witnessed a snatching incident. Me and some colleagues are going to the mall to have our lunch, that's about 200 meters away. There were lots of people in the street so we were surprised hear a scream and a commotion followed. It turned out that ahead of us was a woman walking whose bag was dangling at her left side, that is exposed to the road. And there came a motorcycle with 2 riders, one of which grabbed her bag and sped away. The woman's bag was anchored on her shoulder that resulted her to be dragged until she let go of the bag. So she lost her bag and she suffered bruises.

That incident is not the true picture of our city but it represents isolated cases which can happen to anyone. We are always wary when on the road particularly if there are no cops in sight.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

:eek:OMG! Thanks for sharing so we all can be aware of the dangers that's gong on in the world and right in our neighborhoods.:confused:

7. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

:eek:OMG! That's terrible! Purse snatching has been on the rise and today on KHON local news there was another attack upon a woman by a man who knocked her down hard and it was caught on video tape.[​IMG]
    image from KHON.com news.http://khon2.com/2015/12/09/suspect-sought-after-waipahu-purse-snatching-caught-on-camera/

Corie Henson likes this.