Backup Communications Information For Emergencies

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Some of us turn those off anyway. I don't like my email filling up with notifications.

2. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well,I'm sorry I asked.:(I would have felt better about that whole thing.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

All we were talking about doing is gathering a list of emails from folks who want to be kept abreast of progress when the site goes down (and we need to make certain the list is kept secure.) We started the conversation 9 months ago when the site last went down and it kind of ran out of steam, because the site does not go down all that often. Fortunately, the need is not that great. Perhaps your commenting on it will revive interest.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I never ever use same password and change regularly. i love my password manager. But thanks to all for the info;) I do not have notifications sent to email. I know when i log in who has said or done what.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

don't be.. nothing wrong asking questions

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

You are good, @Julia Curtis , in case of another emergency where the forum was down, I can email you and let you know because you gave me your email. I would email you and keep you updated with what was wrong, to the extent that i know myself.
    Also, you can go on facebook to the SOC page and many of us communicated through there with information until Ken was able to get the forum working again.
    Hopefully, this never happens again ! Mostly, it is the pesky DDS attacks that affect lots of servers, not just ours, and no one knows how long those will last.

I do not like notifications in my email either, so the only ones I get are for a direct message to me, the rest are shut off.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith , did I ever give you my email address. Oh, I just happened to think I got a new email address when I switched internet providers.

I'm going to PM you my new one.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Julia Curtis

Registered

We'll all only be strangers to each other because everyone loves their privacy,so in essence we are friendly strangers that know only what we post about ourselves.I'm not neurotypical so I'm still struggling with the concept.I like that there are people out there that care but to me....well no I cannot explain that well enough without being verbal so I'll have to continue with the struggle.:confused:

9. John Brunner

I deleted my long-winded response and will write this instead...

This would make a great thread in the Philosophy forum...or perhaps Psychology. Internet forums are interesting beasts where we form personal relationships in the most publicly accessible venue imaginable (over 5 billion internet users worldwide.) The degree to which I am guarded with specific personal [identity] details ebbs & flows. But I would never post my real name (although Ken uses his), my address, my phone number or my email address anywhere, much less on a forum where seniors gather (we tend to be targets for those of nefarious motives.)

That being said, the risk is likely low (even though seniors do make nice targets.) And we've had this conversation you just raised, Julia. We are close to each other here, BUT it's hardly private.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Julia Curtis

Registered

I'll be quiet about it.I never should have mentioned it, that's one of the reasons I try not to say much.To many ideas.Silly me:)

11. Yvonne Smith

You did fine asking about it, @Julia Curtis . It is just one of those things that has not moved forward , mainly because of the variety of personal concerns about sharing information that is private.
    As I said, you have shared your email , so if the forum should experience downtime again, like happened only once before (and we hope it never does again), then I can email you with any updates as i have them.

I think that many people here have likely shared contact information with others, so the information would gradually get spread around that way. Even though it is not good to share an email publicly on the forum, there is no reason why members can’t do this privately with the personal messaging here.
    My suggestion is still that anyone concerned about getting information if the forum shuts down, should look on the Seniors Only Club Facebook page.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Registered

What if I don't have a Facebook account? Will I still be able to read there? And how will I find the Seniors Only Club Facebook page? I know nothing about Facebook.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/seniorsonlyclub/

Yes, you can read it without having an account.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Shirley Martin

Registered

"Connect with SENIORSonly CLUB on Facebook"

It tells me that I have to create an account.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

It will say that, but you can click the little X and make the box go away and then you can still see the actual page, @Shirley Martin . I just tried John’s link, and it grumbled at me to either sign in or make an account, but i told it to go away, and then I could see the page and read what was there.
    I think that you probably can’t reply to anything on facebook unless you have an account, but you can read it.
    Here is what I see after i got rid of the first box to join.

IMG_5703.png