As You Grow Older, Are You Still Interested In Learning New Things?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Dan Miles

Dan Miles Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yep, I like learning (online, including youtube videos, and from books) new things. Sometimes I learn just enough to put a project together, like I did with VB.NET for DiCheetal and Python for TUPLEZZ.

I keep an eye on AI and last week I re-re-re-started watching vids and reading books about investing.

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  2. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Ivan Tea Sanderzon Well-Known Member
    Registered

In 1973, I won an archaeological scholarship to go to Israel and take part in two digs. While there, Dr. Ofer bar-Yosef would come round and talk to us, joke a little, just generally carrying on a conversation with us. He did this a couple of times a day and we enjoyed the breaks. Later in the evening when we were all back at the hotel where we stayed while there, he would ask questions and surprisingly, we would know the answers.

What Ofer had done was insert small snippets of information, here and there during his converations with us and even in some the jokes he would tell us.

Learning while not even realizing your'e learning is a very effective method of imparting information, almost subliminal.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a history teacher in high school who taught in a similar fashion. He spent his summers traveling to different parts of the world, so he had photos, films, and things that could be inserted into his classes, but he frequently taught through conversation and stories. Just when you thought you had gotten him off on a tangent, you'd realize that he was teaching the lesson.

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

In 8th grade I had a truant officer who always knew when we skipped school. j.k.

Have either of you heard of Ken Klein, he has some interesting studies on Middle East like the Temple Mount and Pyramid's.
    He said evidence has shown the temple sight is not where we've been told, it is in another area. I didn't get too deep into it but it was interesting.

5. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Registered

I have seen some things come across on YouTube that seem to indicate the same thing. One such is this one, and another.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

I listened to a few minutes of the first one and the same argument was given by Klein about the Gehon Spring. Maybe thats why the Jews aren't as worried about the mosque sitting at what some say is a fortress not a temple site.
    I'll check out the other link you put up now.

Ivan Tea Sanderzon likes this.
  7. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Registered

I spent a month in Tiberias, at two digs, one on the opposite side of the sea of Galilee and one south of town. We spent 3 days in Jerusalem, I went to the Wailing Wall and a few sites in the Old City, such as the Tomb of the Holy Sepulcher, Via Dolorosa, et al., not enough time to even begin any such undertaking, let alone the Templar thingy; being 17 at the time was also an issue LOL!

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thats interesting Ivan, I'd have liked going to Israel. I've not left the U.S.
    I just always liked to study history, mystery's about places like pyramid's, Stonehenge, our ancestors and Bible.
    Barbarian Norse? who sacked Rome.
    Judah, Israel especially the tribe of Dan.an Israelite who was a man of the sea.
    All that was interesting to me.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

I'm not high jacking your thread, am I? If I am just tell me, I don't mind correction.

10. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Registered

Well, I went when I was 17, the way things are in the area now, I'm not sure I's go back. From the time I was in grade school, through junior high and high school, I read through their respective libraries, and the City of Grand Rapids' public library in the areas in which I had an interest. I have so many interests, I sometimes find myself passing myself in many different directions.

11. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hmm. I wouldn't mind learning Latin. Just because.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Maybe a while ago, but not at my age now, although you did give me another song for our song thread 'Just Because'.
    I'd just like to learn how to do what I do know easier.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  13. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Registered

I took 3 years of Latin and 2 of German, and some Esperanto from a friend in HS. I picked up some Spanish in the neighrborhood in which I grew up.Oh, and some Rom, gypsy through reading.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  14. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Very cool. I took French in high school, which I can still somewhat speak after all these years.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wish I had taken Latin, as it would have provided the foundation to understand many languages. I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and maintained my vocabulary for years afterwards by reading the free Spanish newspaper that was available in my area. My conversational Spanish was never very good.