As You Grow Older, Are You Still Interested In Learning New Things?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I've done that with some sewing ;) I only "tried" to sew in highschool, some of my creations were hilariously to large for me. I knew nothing other than how to peg a pair of jeans, or hem them ;)

Made some little "coasters" for coffee cups as x-mas presents this last year. The first ones were not good enough to give away, but they were good to learn my own tricks in making them. Got directions off youtube:
    my first coasters christmas 2023.jpg

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I harvested some tall nettle last fall to try to take the fibers and weave them. But they just ended up in a pile in the barn.
    I'll try again next year. The sheep love them for desert.:rolleyes:
    So many wonderful things available to try.

3. Denise Evans

Registered

That's sounds cool @Mary Stetler I was reading a little novel by Sue Henry, and was super interested in weaving. In fact I think I'll look into it further, and see if I could get a smaller loom for my apartment! I'm not sure if it would get too monotonous for me as it's pretty repetitive, but the final product can be so lovely!

I have a lot of tools of my own as I have learned to at least put things together I buy from Amazon. I can do the simpler maintenance things to my truck.

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Registered

We had metal 'looms' for making pot holders that came with cloth loops in a kit. We would sew them together to make bath mats. It kept us quiet and busy and out of parents' hair. Probably why Santa brought them.:rolleyes:

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

That's a neat thing to get a child, well, I guess now kids all want what they see on TV, and anything electronic ;) I saw some looms I could get that would be just right for my apartment on Amazon:rolleyes: Would be good if I took to it, especially in crappy Winter weather ;)

The best thing I'm learning is really to cook things I'd never learned how to cook :) especially learn the cuts of meats etc.

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Registered

There are copy cat recipes on your search engine from various restaurants so we won't miss eating out so much.

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Neither do we,we make our lunch if we go to beach or anywhere else.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You like Alaska stories too @Denise Evans. My wife likes to read Sue Henry as we know many of the people in the books.

9. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

I know that in America, craft channels have been around for some time. They are a fairly new thing in Britain. I watched one just out of curiosity, found it fascinating and it has opened up a new interest for me. I had done sewing at school and embroidery but had no knowledge of patchwork and quilting. Now, I have a 'stash' and 3 sewing machines and am surrounded by things I have made. Finding room for it all is a problem!

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most of my learning is done by reading now days, but I still like learning new hobbies also. I recently got the Pigment coloring app for my ipad, and i am totally loving it !
    I have tried paint programs like Procreate, but they were complicated and I have not yet delved into all of the youtube tutorials for using Procreate.
    However, with Pigment, it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

The app has all kinds of different styles, like oil paint, watercolor, pastels, pencil, crayon, and many more, plus special effects tools like laser and metallic and glitter.
    You can either color pictures that they have on the app, or you can upload your own picture and color it.
    I want to learn to color some of the old b/w photos that we have from years ago, so my family can see what the photo would have looked like in real life.

I also just enjoy coloring some of the pictures that they have in the app, just to relax and “paint”, and every day, I am watching some of the Pigment tutorials that explain how to use all of the special features to blend and create the best picture.

Here is an example of one of the pictures from the website that I colored, and I posted a picture of the old farmhouse where my folks went through the depression in another thread on the forum yesterday.
    This is a new hobby that anyone can learn. You do not have to be an artist and draw the picture, you just color it.

IMG_5881.jpeg

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thats beautiful but how did you get the picture, did you print it?

12. Yvonne Smith

The original uncolored is on the Pigment app, and after I colored it, I downloaded it to my iPad. Here is an example of another one, before and after coloring.

IMG_6053.jpeg IMG_5902.jpeg

Marie Mallery likes this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thats neat, never heard of it before.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

It you look, there are a lot of different online coloring apps that you can use, and some work with a computer and some with a tablet. I use mine on the iPad with my Apple Pencil and it is almost like drawing or painting.
    It is something that I enjoy, and i used to draw all of the time, but eventually stopped; so it is nice to get back to doing something like this.
    I like that you can also draw your own pictures and color it, or upload b/w pictures or photos that you have and then color those, too. We have a lot of old photos that my mom took, and i want to color some of those for my family to see how they looked in color.
    Look on youtube for online coloring apps, and it will show you some ideas for ones that will work with your laptop, @Marie Mallery .

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've dabbled in all sorts of hobbies, from needle point to picture frame making. The only thing I've stuck with is cooking and making new types of foods. They all have their base set of supplies that always grows...never shrinks.

My problem is that once a hobby has run its course and I've accumulated tools, equipment & supplies for it, I don't want to get rid of them for fear I may want to pick that hobby up again. It's embarrassing to live alone in a house that is larger than the one you grew up in with 8 people, and not ave enough room.