Arizona Trooper Shot In Ambush Attack; Good Samaritan Kills Gunman

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Source: ABC 7

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

We need more Good Samaritan with guns.

Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Far out!!!!!!!! And how much of this happens every day maybe, that the msm isn't reporting.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course, there are characters everywhere carrying hatred with them, especially for cops. One of the primary factors here in Arizona which discourages such heinous crime, is that ANY Arizona resident adult may carry a weapon, concealed or otherwise, unrestricted and unhampered by legal requirements for a permit. This means that a great many folks who otherwise would not consider going through the effort and cost of obtaining a CCW (Concealed Carry of Weapon) permit, are likely now "carrying" without one. All they need have is a clean background (to carry legally). Rarely, does one hear of "vigilantism" or inexperienced or frivolous use of a firearm by the non-permitted, contrary to the proponents of gun-control measures. Before unlimited concealed carry became legal here, it was well-known that many carried anyway, disregarding the law, using the premise that should the need for sudden, lethal self-defense arise, they would at least have the option of possibly coming out alive, hopefully unscathed. BUT, they of course would hesitate to intervene, as this Samaritan did, for fear of legal consequences enacted against them.

One by one, following the leads of Utah and Arizona, quite a few states have followed suit, Missouri recently being among them. To me, it makes sense. Permitting here is still common, for the simple reason that most states travelled to or through by the permittee will offer legal reciprocity regarding their permit issued in Arizona. Thus, being a non-possessor of an official CCW permit, if I carry across the Colorado River into Nevada, I am breaking NV law. However, if I leave my firearm in my car parked there, I am OK.

The overall issue "came to a head" some years back, when hunters crossing Massachusetts to hunt legally in other states, were arrested for possession of the arms in their vehicles. NRA, among others, went to their aid. Massachusetts Legislators responded by placing giant billboards at virtually every major road entering the state advising all motorists they were liable for legal action if carrying firearms. Nice expenditure of the state's taxpayer's dues. By now, I believe armed travel there, if the vehicle is registered elsewhere, is exempted.

30 years ago, there existed on the books in America an estimated 40,000 laws pertaining to firearms. Certainly amongst all those could be found one to apply to any particular case. Since then who can even guess how many more have been enacted, in futile effort to disarm law abiding citizens.

Rant over. Frank

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Please read this:
    "Georgia gun store owner shoots, kills armed robbery suspect."
    MABLETON, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia gun store owner's quick reflexes and skilled marksmanship may have saved his life and others when armed robbers came calling.

Surveillance video shows Jimmy Groover, owner of Dixie Gun and Pawn, turning around when two suspects walk into his store on Dec. 26. Another employee raises his hands as the suspects charge in.

At least one is wearing a mask and has a gun drawn, pointed in the direction of Groover and his employee. Groover wedged himself behind a gun safe in the back of the store. He said he heard one of them say, "Get on the ground. I'm going to kill you."

"I saw the mask and the gun at the same time, and I knew it was him or me," Groover told The Associated Press on Thursday, adding that he acted to protect himself, his employee and two customers who were in the store.

The suspect draws a second gun and Groover fires at least two shots at the first suspect, who immediately falls to the floor on his back, both guns falling from his hands.

[​IMG]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-gun-store-owner-shoots-kills-armed-robbery-225010637.html

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm just not totally sold on this "Wild West" stuff. I do believe in the word "protection", but I just read online, from the Huffington Post, stories about different Concealed Weapons Owners that committed murders. A number of people who "carry" have a "no fear" factor/attitude about them and that in itself can be a problem.

So, I just don't know yet.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I read the story about the good samaritan, and I think I'd also read the story about the pawn shop that Frank posted. I tend to keep my eyes open for such stories, because I've been sharing them for years. My family is always surprised that good guys can have guns in many places, and can actually shoot back (or first, if endangered), since they live in Massachusetts. I try to educate them whenever possible about life outside of the state, where governments sometimes actually work in favor of the citizens, but it's difficult when they've let such sheltered lives.

I haven't bothered to get a CCW because I don't think it's anyone's business whether or not I own gun(s), and I don't believe in being put on a list. I'm hoping at some point, Texas will roll that law back, and it won't be required here. From what I've seen in the news, it seems gun rights groups are working to increase reciprocity, which I think would be a good thing.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, when a Backgroud Check is done to purchase a gun, DL or legal ID information has to be shown and written on the paperwork. IMO, that should be required and is.

What happens is that too many people go on Forum websites and disclose information about guns they own. As I always say, and will continue saying, "some information about a person, their family and or friends simple shouldn't be put on the Internet for the public to see.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    Sure, but such stories can be overblown, as any others can, right? Just how often does this happen? Only the Shadow knows. And, as the stories are circulayed by the Press, wasa it murder ort rather justifiable hoimicide?