Are We Dependent on the Internet?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hannah Davis, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My BBS was a hub for three BBS networks. I ran a 4-node BBS from 1985 to the early 1990s. My first computer was a Coleco Adam, and my second was a TRS-80, both of which used cassette tapes. I used two different computers to run my BBS.

First I ran it in DOS, using a program that emulated multi-tasking by switching rapidly back and forth. I can't remember the name of that right now, but it worked well. Microsoft later stole it, and had to pay a settlement for doing so.

Then I ran my BBS using Windows 1.0, and upgraded the OS a few times before switching to OS/2 when it came out. Although OS/2 never made it as an operating system, it was ideal for a BBS. Running my BBS through Windows, it crashed constantly. It had run better under DOS. I hated even to go to a restaurant, knowing that the BBS would likely be down when I returned. Running OS/2, it was up for years without a crash, as smooth as could be.

I charged $50 a year for membership in my BBS, and my phone bills ranged from $300-500 per month, and I did a little less than break even; the BBS was costing me money but I enjoyed it so it was worth it.

I probably could have stayed in the black if I didn't do so many packet transfers. A lot of BBS's only sent data out and received new data after midnight, when the LD costs were lower, but I also did a mid-day transfer so that my users would have fresher content, and sometimes did multiple transfers per day. It was set to automatically do a transfer at 2:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. but I sometimes forced a transfer in between.

2. Ben Oasis

Ben Oasis Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm also concerned about the amount of time we spend online, but most of all I'm worried about my grandson. He is literally glued to his PC, isolates himself from his peers. I assume if he was allowed to, he'll never go out of his room and always play those video games, which I hate! But the worst thing is you never know what websites kids access, what software are they downloading. I did some internet research myself, as I'm too concerned about my grandson becoming computer-addict, and I've come across emsi.at/kidsafe . My son said they installed Qustodio parental control sofware, which sends detailed reports about what my grandson does during the day. Maybe it does help, but I'd appreciate your help and maybe your tips on how to keep our kids safe online (since we can't completely ban internet use for them).

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I enjoy the internet for it's entertainment value. Before PC's it was the TV. Now, TV is mostly trash shows, constantly interrupted by commercials.

A local TV station has a site they post their news stories on. When an item is posted about a visit by some upper rung politician who is a liberal, I like to post a negative comment. A certain poster will usually counter my post with an incredibly long response to my short jab of a post. I love it when I can needle a liberal like that.:D

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I no longer take the daily paper so I have to check the obits online to see if I'm still alive.

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a small problem with my children and my niece gave them a computer and they think it is theirs to use as much as they like. I told them that they have one hour to spend on the computer only and if they can show me it is for school work they can have more. This was a little difficult until they went over and lost that privilege for a week and now no problem and no arguments.

6. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the only thing I would miss about the internet is the convenience of bill paying. Other then that I can take it or leave it. I work on a computer most of the day for my job, so for the most part when I get home I really do not feel like using the computer all that much for leisure. Even though in this age it seems to be becoming more vital for any type of communication.

A few years ago we cancelled the cable subscription and use the computer for streaming. I don't watch all that much television but do like the option of seeing shows I like on demand when I have a chance. I think in the very beginning of the internet (when it became more like we know it now) I spent much more time just clicking around learning stuff and seeing what was out there. These days I am pretty sure what is out there so unless I want something specific don't just randomly click anymore. Way to many malicious programs, for really no good reason.

That is with the exception of YouTube, If I am really bored I will look for funny animal video's. I do this thing where the next thing I watch is whatever has the most views on the sidebar. I see all sorts of crazy stuff that way. Since I am a sponge for useless trivia it is right up my alley.

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I know I'd be lost if there was no internet, so I'd say yes I'm dependent on the internet. When you register for college you have to go on the internet too, so the dependence is there too. I earn money on the internet too so I like the internet as well as being dependent on it.

Ike Willis likes this.
  8. Ben Oasis

Ben Oasis Veteran Member
    Registered

The other problem is that my grandson is very dependent on the social networks and it upsets me greatly cause he can happen upon Predators on social media there... However in such a case the Qustodio parental control sofware
    comes to the rescue (as I've mentioned previously my son installed it at my grandsons PC). The software gives you a possibility to get a detailed report on your child's actions on the Internet in any time.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

We may be able to use all these things you mention but I really believe that as the years go by with less and less people buying maps and books, etc. they will be discontinued. Some are slowly already going that route.

Ike Willis likes this.
  10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

What riles me is, people who use a computer but still ask you where to find out how they can get a whizmogig, or something as easy as finding any other object. I don't know if they're lazy or just stupid.

11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Nah, they aren't "lazy or stupid". They're just trying to hold onto the dying art of realtime live social interaction. I think it was Terry who posted a funny cartoon recently where two men are facing one another. One man asks the other, "What's the meaning of Life?" and the other replies, "I don't know. The computers are down". Ha.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  12. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I think that like all developments they become part of civilisation and we adapt and change as a result, I have lived through accepting many changes from the introduction of the refrigerator into my life, the television and the proliferation of automobiles. The internet is a large part of our current stage of evolution and has affected us all, there is no going back so it's not really an addiction in my opinion, simply another change in how we relate to each other and view the world. The young adapt more rapidly which I guess has always been the case.

13. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Kind of true, Terry! It also affects my mood, especially forums. Not talking about this forum but There have been times on other forums where things said have made me actually cry, or get very angry and not be able to sleep because of it. CRAZY!

15. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered