Are There Any New Hobbies That You Might Realistically Pick Up?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That big yarn for finger knitting is really pricey. I think I will buy one skein and practice before I invest a lot of money in it. I also read a review that said the blanket is really heavy so hmmmm.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This thread reminds me that a poster on the AG forum also does weaving as a hobby. He has an Etsy store where he sells winter scarves that he hand weaves, so I bought one. It's really beautiful and well made; he said he started weaving about 20 years ago and the Etsy store was an afterthought. (He's retired and just enjoys weaving.)

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Jan Ahlmann

Jan Ahlmann Well-Known Member
    Registered

Come on now Don, Rosey Greer did needlepoint! He even wrote a book, Rosey Greer’s Needlepoint for Men.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  4. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The only thing close to a hobby I have is word finding books in 30-32 point size letters.I've never been really good at anything hobby wise,nothing grabs my interest.I spend my weeks going to the gym and then recovering the next day and then the weekend I pull myself through those,just me here so I do wish I had a hobby, just nothing else that intrests me.:oops:

5. Jan Ahlmann

Registered

Julia, have you looked at these miniature room kits? They’re fun to put together.
    https://www.robotimeonline.com/collections/diy-miniature-dollhouse

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Julia Curtis

Registered

Lois Winters likes this.
  7. Jan Ahlmann

Registered

That's the good part - It comes with everything you need! The kits even have glue, but I found I needed extra so I just used Aleene's craft glue that I had on hand. Plain old Elmer's would work, too. This is the first one I made. It's the Sewing Room, obviously. As I went along, I tweaked it here and there to add my own fabric and I even bought a small cat on miniatures.com to add. I'm working on the Book Shop now.

sewingmini.jpg

8. Julia Curtis

Registered

That is really neet Jan.Thank you for letting me know it comes with everything you need,I could try one when I have extra,might be something I like.Ylu did VERY well on the sewing room.:):)

John Brunner and Jan Ahlmann like this.
  9. Jan Ahlmann

Registered

Thank you. I think anyone would enjoy making them. It's like all the quilting I do -- It keeps me off the streets at night!

10. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Ken,

I have decided on a new hobby. Lucid dreaming! What is lucid dreaming? It is a way to influence what I am dreaming about, to ask questions about how to solve problems, etc. Lucid dreaming can lead to emotional and physical healing, spiritual growth, and many other benefits.

To dream lucidly, the dreaming person has to realize that he or she is dreaming and then direct the dream as desired. For instance, suppose the person dreams of something that is very unusual like flying. If the person thinks, "Whoa. I must be dreaming. Then he or she can ask questions about the flying or otherwise influence the direction of the dreaming. Lucid dreaming can open up a whole world of well-being. At least that is what I have read about it. I'm still in the early stages of learning. I cannot yet lucid dream but I hope to get there someday.

Has anyone else had any experience with lucid dreaming?

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There has been some discussion on it in this thread. For me, lucid dreaming usually occurs in the morning after I've slept enough that I could get up but stay in bed purely for the lucid dreaming.

John Houlihan likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have directed my dreams BEFORE going to sleep. Not sure it's the same thing.

John Houlihan and John Nopales like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is, but we generally only remember the dreams we have before awakening in the morning.

John Houlihan likes this.