Are The Attached Facts An Example Of Racism?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Sakkom Jelani

Sakkom Jelani Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you, Patsy! I'm becoming familiar with the forums and looking forward to participating.
    Currently, I'm learning to navigate the site--it'll take a little practice :).

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Sakkom Jelani

Registered

Thanks, Patsy. I might take you up on that!

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am a greeter on the forum and am also glad to help if you have questions, @Sakkom Jelani ; but it looks like you have everything pretty much figured out. If you click on your name at the top of the page, a little box will open up, and it has all of the options for setting preferences, adding signatures, and stuff like that.
    You can also ask questions and find answers in the help thread , which is one of the first thread topics at the top of the page.

Lon Tanner likes this.
  5. Sakkom Jelani

Registered

Patsy and Yvonne, I'm so glad you offered help. I think I need it!
    Earlier today I responded to a post about cities where people might want to retire. Before I could post my reply, I got distracted. When I came back about an hour later to submit the post, the system gave me an error msg. I think it indicated I was logged off. I tried to log on again, but got another error msg. I waited a few hours and, as you see, I was able to log on. Now, I can't find the conversation. I don't remember the title, but when I searched the likely forums I didn't see anything that sounded like a fit. I entered "retirement cities" in the search field, but nothing I recognized came back.
    Can you tell me how to locate the conversation so I can try again to submit the post?
    Many thanks!
    Sakkom

6. Sakkom Jelani

Registered

Hi Patsy and Yvonne,

(Patsy, I apologize if you're receiving this twice!)

I kept searching and found the conversation about retirement cities under Nature and Science! And the keyword I should have used is "weather", not "retirement!" If you have time, though, I'd still like tips/techniques on efficient ways to find things like messages I've sent and conversations I want to keep track of. And how to copy someone on a post. I forgot to say I did post my reply on the Nature and Science forum.

Thanks!
    Sakkom

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you click on your profile avatar, one of the things that it shows is your posts, and you can look back through your posts and see what threads you have posted in.
    To tag someone in a post, all you have to do is put the @ sign and then their name, like this @Sakkom Jelani , and once you post it, then it will turn into a blue link that tags the person.
    If you click on your name at the top of the page, which opens up the little box of options, go to preferences, and you can choose what you want to be alerted on.
    Also, usually the forum software will save your post if you lose it like happened today, so when you get back to the same place, you will see it in very light print, and when you click on that the post will reappear, and you can finish it and post as usual.
    Hoping this helps explain what you are asking .

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Just remember to 'click' on posts within that box - then your posts will show up :)
    Thanks Yvonne - well described :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher

Your analysis is near-complete! However, almost any of the reasons for not renting are subjective and thus can be openly applied as excuses to not rent, though the REAL reason is racism......not provable. Here lies the difficulty in officiating "Equal Opportunity", no?

Frank

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I disagree. What makes you say that the "real reason" is racism?? If the landlord has no vacancies, should he evict current tenants so the applicants can move in? If children are not allowed and the applicants have children, how is it racist to reject them?

It really gets tiresome how "racist" and "racism" are bandied about these days. People can't seem to live their lives without being labeled.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher

It is so easy to disagree when my intent is so misunderstood......I DID NOT SAY, "the real reason is.....", I used other words to state racism is in this case NOT PROVABLE, though the lawyers would disagree, along with you.......

Frank

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You absolutely did say "the real reason is racism."

And I'm done.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If the landlord is also black, how then could it be called racism? The OP didn’t say one way or the other so the whole scenario and the following question leaves nothing to be discovered in the arena of ethics.

Neither a yes or a no can be given unless AlL of the specifics are revealed.
    At the present time with so much left to be discovered the only answer that can be deemed correct is that the landlord was telling the truth.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Beth Gallagher and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Sakkom Jelani

Registered

Thanks so much Yvonne and Patsy! I've put your instructions in a Word file for easy access.
    Sakkom

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

welcome sakkom jelani