Are Androids And Tablets Just As Good As Laptops?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Krissttina Isobe, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I've never used an android or tablets yet. I was wondering if they are just as good as a laptop? I've used laptops and netbooks. I prefer the larger sizes and think they are just as good as desk top computers except I don't like the touchpad for a mouse at all.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I think so, I never use my computer anymore. There are probably a few things you can't do with a tablet that you can with a computer ...but not many.

I don't think you can do a google image search on an iPad but maybe I'm wrong, also you can't just copy and paste an image like you can with a computer, takes an extra step or two. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I would never give up my ipad anymore for laptop or computer.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am having trouble seeing the difference between this and your other question asking about the difference between tablets and computers, @Krissttina Isobe .
    Pretty much , a laptop does what a desktop does; but it is smaller and more portable.
    Tablets, whether they are Kindle, Android, Ipad (Apple), or one of the Windows tablets, will do most of the things than a computer will do, and do a lot of those things much easier than the computer or laptop will do the same thing.
    As @Corie Henson pointed out, if you are using the computer for work (like she does), then there may be requirements that can only be done on a computer/laptop. If you do not have a job which requires certain functions from the computer, and you are just using the device at home or traveling, and for your own personal use, then a tablet (of whatever brand) will probably suffice.

If I could only have one or the other, I would not have to even think about it to know that I would want to have my tablet.
    It does everything that I need to do, does it easily, and weighs much less than any laptop does. (and I can see and read everything SO much easier, too)

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with you, @Yvonne Smith, just use what is comfortable for you. If the tablet gives you all you need then why shift to laptop that may only complicate matters for you. Just a bit of trivia, the Mac of Apple became popular despite the higher cost than an ordinary computer is its simplicity. Just click and click and there is no need to go much into details because the icons are all there on the home screen so unlike the ordinary computer where you need to explore the interior of your computer. That's the wonder of the smart phone (and the tablet), you can have the world at the tip of your fingers... while traveling.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

This is very much like the other thread you have here, or close enough that they could be merged, but I won't do that as it would confuse some of the replies that were made. Where it differs is that you are including smart phones into the question. My response to that would be that, while a smart phone is a sort of a computer, it is not at all the equivalent of either a laptop or desktop, although it is more closely like a tablet, only smaller. I don't believe that either a smart phone or a tablet are good replacements for a laptop of a desktop computer. For one thing, I could probably guess who was using a tablet rather than a larger computer by the way their posts are formatted. There are some notable exceptions among those who use tablets here but, for the most part, those who access the forum from a tablet don't include spaces between their paragraphs, I will assume because it's more difficult to do that in a tablet. I know that when I use my Kindle to access the forum, I don't say very much because it takes too darned long to type anything into that tiny little virtual keyboard, and I am far more apt to include errors in what I do say, also because of the difficulties. Don't get me wrong; I am not complaining about it, just making an observation.

Like anything else, there are those who have used a tablet long enough that they can do as well as someone else might do on a computer but I doubt that anyone is earning a living designing web sites with a tablet, or otherwise earning a substantial living online. I don't understand the argument that I have seen made, in favor of a tablet, that you can increase the text size because you can do that on a computer too.

That said, If I didn't have enough money to buy a computer, and all that I really needed to get online for was to check my email, and access Facebook and Internet forums, I could probably get by with a tablet, but I certainly wouldn't spend ten to twelve hours a day online as I do now. You can attach a keyboard, mouse, and large monitor to a tablet but, for the cost of these extras, you could buy a low end computer. Of course, you wouldn't be able to buy a Mac for a hundred dollars.

To a great extent, it's what you get used to. Macs are easier than Windows machines, but they are far more expensive. When I first bought a MacBook, it took my a while to learn how to use the trackpad, since I had used a computer with a mouse for a couple of decades. However, by the time I bought an iMac, which came with a mouse, I was used to a trackpad so I use a trackpad with my iMac rather than the mouse. I suppose that it's possible that someone could become sufficiently proficient with a tablet as to be able to use it like a real computer.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Oh....... @Ken Anderson , I am sorry; but I have just GOT to jump into this thread after reading your last post !
    (Don't be surprised if the rest of the tablet/iPad users all jump in here , as well).

So.....where to start.
    Okay, spaces between paragraphs.
    Those are just as simple to make on a tablet as on a computer. You just touch either the space bar or the enter key, just the same as you would do. Some people just do not think about breaking their posts up into smaller paragraphs. Maybe they do not mind reading those kinds of posts that are all one big block of words--- who knows ?

Writing on a virtual keyboard. Yes, it is a pain; but people DO get used to it. @Chrissy Page said that she actually prefers it to her external keyboard, although it is beyond my comprehension why that would be. Kindles, being smaller, are even worse, and smart phones will turn your hair grey (if it isn't already).
    I have an external keyboard/case for the ipad, and I can type along on it just like the keyboard on a laptop. Plus, it folds up and carries just like a mini-laptop. Bluetooth external keyboards start at about $20 and go up; so not that expensive to add on to your tablet.

For the work you do, and probably Corie and others who need a large desktop for their income-producing work online, you would have more things available to you than just using a tablet. So, I will go along with you on that .
    Just like economy cars and pickup trucks, each have their own purposes, and you need what works best for you.

Increasing the text size on a tablet and on a computer is a completely different thing ! On the computer, you have to go to your settings and change the size, and then it stays there until you change it again.
    On a tablet, you just put two fingers on the screen and spread your fingers, and the screen size gets bigger and bigger until you stop spreading your fingers.
    When you want it smaller again, you put your fingers on the screen and then squeeze your fingers closer together until the screen is back to normal size.
    So, say you are looking at a picture, and you want to see some small part of the picture better. You just stretch the screen and focus on the part you want to see better. Once you are done looking at it, you ssqueeze the screen back to the normal size. If I want to see someone's avatar, I can just stretch the screen until the avatar takes up the whole page if I want it that big. This is a wonderful thing to be able to do. You can do it with the Kindle, so try it if you have not done this. Once you have this capability to make everything easy to see and read, you never want to be without it again !

Can't forget the mouse. Using my fingers on the screen is even more wonderful than the very best mouse you could ever find. If I see a word I misspelled, I touch the screen on that word, the cursor goes there, and I fix the mistake. Of course, if it is misspelled, I can also just touch the word and hold my finger, and the ipad will correct the spelling , all on its own.

And Apple IS much better than any kind of Windows, you are SO right on that !

Krissttina Isobe and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Now, to be even less complicated: If it's all about money and all you really want is internet availability go the tablet. If you can not afford home cable for a while, just about any restaurant or city bench has a hot spot thereby allowing you access with your easily carried tablet. IMHO. If you are willing to spend more for the desk top plus the cable or antenna bills and wish to sit in your own private little office and work, go the desk top.

Money provided, most people like myself prefer to have both. I can work with split dual or quad screens with the desk top Microsoft 10.1 OS or sit on my porch or front room and do the smaller jobs on my Ipad 8.whatever till I am blue in the face.

As a small piggy back to @Happyflowerlady, the only problem thus far I have had is when I got used to a touch screen I used to try the same thing with the desk top and got frustrated when nothing happened. Imagine if you will, a long finger hitting the monitor screen and screeming at it because it didn't want to mind me. Now, even the desk top is touch screen so no more confusion or frustration.

I realize Krissttina that you are a bit confused but curious hence the dual threads but not to be worried grasshopper, you will learn computer kung fu in no time.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  8. Ken Anderson

Oh, I know that I can do that on the Kindle, but I haven't come across a reason to. Usually, it does it when I don't want it to.

9. Cheryl Torrie

Cheryl Torrie Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't researched it in quite awhile but I really can't imagine that a tablet or notebook will ever have the same amount of RAM or processing speed as a high end laptop, desktop or Mac. I'm sure it's possible that they already do and if not they may have it in the future but it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges if you ask me. Every tool that you use to access the internet, prepare documents and presentations or even make a call (droid) is going to be unique. It's all a matter of what is convenient to you. I prefer to be tied to my desk when I'm working on the computer (better for my posture and concentration) but my son would rather be sitting on his couch while typing, watching TV and eating all at the same time. And with my arthritis I really don't wish to hold a tablet for any length of time.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I agree Ken and others that if you work and it involves a computer, I'm sure that a desktop or laptop might be a better choice but for me who doesn't work, just plays. :) my iPad and IPhone are all I need.

I do forums, Facebook, email, kindle, photos, camera, news, control my TV, FaceTime, Google, YouTube, Netflix,Amazon video and Amazon Prime, my step counter, iTunes, text, messages, clock, alarm, timer etc.,GPS, online banking, notes, weather, games and a few other things all on my iPad and the exact same apps on my iphone6. And I do it in my recliner, my bed, in the car when someone else is driving, lol...at airports, on airplanes, at the store(shopping list is in notes) waiting at drs offices, etc. I don't worry when power goes out because I have cellular.

So, these are the reasons why I haven't turned on my computer in 2 yrs. :)

11. Ken Anderson

It must be a girl thing. My wife spends a lot of time on her Kindle Fire too.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You may be right, Ken....I know my son in law wouldnt even know what to do on an iPad , my son uses a laptop at home and his iPhone.

Thats all the men I know! :)

Well, maybe a few more but havent Payed attention to their computer habits.

Terry Page likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Hmmmm, let's see. I think I have to take an inventory here. 6'1"....check, 237 lbs.....check, 19" arms....check, 49" chest.....check, 34" waist....check, took a look down south.....check, looked at my DD214....check.

Just to get some extra evidence I checked with my wife to make dern sure and yup, I'm a 100% man kind of a man without a hint of any sugar but I still use my ipad at least 90% more than the desk top.

This post and all of the other posts I have provided here typed proudly on my Ipad.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Boy, you sure know your measurements, Bobby! All I know is I'm 5'4" and 126 lbs....anything else would be too depressing. :)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Viewing the fact that you are on the SeniorsOnly forum It might be a bit presumptuous of me to say that other than your weight and height I am sure that by now you "know" that you are a girl.

Now, please do not be depressed about any other measurements or designations. As long as everything is in the right place everything will be just fine. Get your Ipad, take a picture of yourself and put a smile on it.