Anyone Eaten A Pittsburgh Sandwich?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by John West, Jan 11, 2023.

1. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Has anyone here ever had a (genuine) Primanti Bros. Pittsburgh sandwich and, if so, did you like it? I am wondering if I should go a little out of the way my next drive west to stop at one of Primanti's sandwich shops just to have a Pittsburgh classic, shown below (from their web site).

[​IMG] .

And, yes, there's french fries layered in this 'near Dagwood.' If not this famous sandwich, then what?

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@John West ,seriously how does anyone get something that large in their mouth ? Looks tasty
    though.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think I prefer my fries on the side, but that looks like a good sandwich. I've always wanted to try a "real" Philly cheesesteak or one of those Chicago Italian beef sandwiches.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It looks good, but I'd eat it with a knife and fork.

Mary Stetler and John West like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Open reeeeaal wide. :)

6. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think your options would be (1) use your h\and muscles to squish it down good, like one does with a fully-laden sub or (2) use Ken's suggestion to pick up a knife and fork., That said, I am thinking I'd really like to bite into one of these and see if it's as tasty as they (i.e., PA folk) claim. It would seem to be a whole meal between two slices of bread.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Beth, being born and raised in Chicago, I can attest to the fact that an Italian beef sandwich is a little (or rather a big) slice of heaven. We've gone back to Chicago just to have an Italian beef or a pizza from one of the little local pizzarias. When we can't travel to Chicago, we fill in with Portillo's Italian beef which we order on line and it's delivered to our door! No one down here in Kentucky has even heard of Italian beef sandwiches. Even if they had it down here it wouldn't be the same. It's a Chicago thing.

I also love what I call a cheese bomber. It's like an Italian beef, but first you put an Italian sausage on the bread, pile on the beef, some roasted green peppers, then put a good amount of mozzarella cheese on top and slide under the broiler until the cheese is melty. Not exactly a diet dish, but it should be in it's own food group!

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You are my kinda' gal, Jane!! Those sandwiches sound fabulous. I have been to Chicago a few times and have yet to have an Italian Beef sandwich!! I'll have to look for Portillo's online.

Jane Carlson and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

If you decide to try it, please make a photo of the "real deal" and report back on how you like it. I'm skeptical of website photos...

52af682269bedda42b43dd70.jpg

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The template for dating sites.

11. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

If you decide to try Portillo's (https://www.portillos.com/index-shop-and-ship.html)
    be sure to follow directions on the sheet they send. Very important: don't let the gravy boil but keep it really hot. "Fluff" the meat after it's defrosted and separate the slices carefully. Only put the meat in the gravy for about 1 minute. Be sure to spoon some gravy on the bread before adding the beef.

Just a few things I've learned along the way!

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.