Anonymous Backs New Social Network To Compete With Facebook

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The group, Anonymous, is backing a new social network that is designed to take on Facebook, promising a commitment to privacy, security, and transparency.

The site is Minds.com and there is a story on it here.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I really, really like the idea behind this new social network. The 'encrypted messaging' part is what sold me, even though I shouldn't really bother with protecting my messages, because I'm not that important of a person to be spied. However, if more of us join this, I am sure it will take off, and younger people will have a social network to themselves, and themselves alone - no data to be stolen or sold.

3. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Never been or wanted to be on Faceache but I read the comments underneath the Minds.com story article . Doesn't seem all it's cracked up to be Ken !!

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken, what are your thoughts on this? I'm all for good competition for Facebook, and their attitude and information collection practices upset me, but although I appreciate some actions of Anonymous, other things they do make me really question their trustworthiness.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since it hasn't really launched yet, the comments aren't based on anything. They have a site up and they are gathering interest, but that's about it.

I can't say that I've a fan of Anonymous, or that I'd necessarily trust all of the privacy promises. I am in favor of anything that challenges Facebook though, since, while they have hit a terrific and a successful idea, more and more they are commercializing it, and changing their algorithms so that, unless you are paying them, you're seeing only a fraction of what your friends post, and a larger percentage of paid advertising in your new feed.

The two basic problems that I see are:
    1. While the affiliation with Anonymous will attract a segment of the population, it will alienate another; and
    2. The greatest value to Facebook is that nearly everyone is there. Until nearly everyone is on this new one, you won't really be able to connect with people the way we've been able to on Facebook.
    The major pluses that I see to this new network are:
    1. Competition is generally good for consumers; and
    2. If there are alternatives, this might prevent Facebook from moving further away from what people want; and
    3. Maybe it will work, and enough people will jump over there to make it worthwhile.

6. John Donovan

Registered

I have been giving their website a try, and I've been put off by a certain aspect of it. It seems that as you comment, share or like posts, you get points, which you can use to get more views on your posts. This means that companies looking to promote their products will migrate to this website en masse, which means that this site will be dominated by commercials and shill posts to attract people to certain products.

I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm definitely going to check it out. Facebook is just so filled with kids, and drama, and irritating posts. I had to get away. But what do I have to lose by checking this one out?

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It sounds as if it might be worth it for me to check out, at least for my shops, but I hesitate to share my personal information with unknown entities, so perhaps I'll fudge a bit on that end.

9. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

Facebook had a pretty slow start, too. I was still on MySpace for a while after facebook got popular enough to connect with a lot of people. I used to ask people why in the world would they want boring facebook when they can have a colorful and musical myspace! Lol and look at it now.

10. John Donovan

Registered

I believe that this site is exactly the opposite of your fear. Their focus on privacy means that your information should be protected. Should be. For now, we aren't that sure whether this site is actually trustworthy or not...

11. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Over here, there is also a startup like that where it is touted to have no advertisements. And since it is a social media, I wonder why their membership is limited. They said that they are controlling the membership and only accepting those who qualify. I never heard from it again.

There is also another pretender to the throne of Facebook. That Tsu.co site promises their members to earn by just posting and interacting like any other social media sites. But the catch is the undefined earnings so you don't really know how you would earn. My take on the newcomers in the field is a run of the mill for now unless they can infuse innovations worthy to the eyes of the users.

12. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, its not the first website to try to compete with Facebook. So far Facebook hasn't been shaking in its boots. Its still the main social media website. I am hoping that someone though will knock it off the pedestal. After all, Facebook at times acts too superior. Penalyzing members for little things and saying that its against their rules. All these people are doing is trying to promote a book they wrote while others Facebook seems to have no problem with are out there harrassing others. Go figure what is against Facebook's rules and what isn't. Anyway, there are times when I think Facebook is just too big and has let it go to their heads, so maybe being knocked down a few pegs wouldn't hurt them.