Angry Birds? Not Quite, But They Are Upset With Us!

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Yvonne Smith, May 29, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since the popular game (and now a movie?) is called Angry Birds, I could not resist using that in my title for this thread.
    We always put food out for the bird and squirrels, and they have learned to come to our "Birdie Bed & Breakfast" on a regular basis. Lately, I have started putting food outside of the back door and we can watch them eating their birdseed when we are in the kitchen.
    I think I mentioned on one thread that they were not impressed when i decided to lie out in the yard in the zero gravity recliner and sunbathe. However, with much squawking and fluttering they managed to get over that intrusion of their buffet space.
    Now, however, we have laid the pool out and it is in the same place where I have been feeding these birds, and they are NOT happy with this at all ! They have been hopping around and trying to look under the ground cover tarp to find their dinners.
    So, I am in the process of relocating the bird buffet to the front yard.
    I put their food out there today and also scattered some on the driveway where they are sure to see the seeds and corn bits.
    Once they find that, they will then see the rest of the seeds futher off of the driveway.
    I am utilizing the "Hansel and Gretel" method of leading them to their new food area, so hopefully, it will be successful.
    I don't want to have any kamikazi birds bombing me when I am out doing my water aerobics in the pool, That is for sure.

Bobby Cole and Babs Hunt like this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, poor birdies. Now they are getting confused. Maybe you were so excited with your new pool that you forgot about your winged friends. And those hungry diners may turn their ire on you although I don't think they would attack you when you are in the pool. They may just be observing and wondering how a big fish got in your yard, hahahaaah.

But on a serious note, those birds will learn in due time that their feeding place had changed. And it will take just a week or two with the adjustment. Just keep on putting out the feeds for them. Maybe you have to define a specific feeding place so the birds will not be guessing for long.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I love the birdies but the seagulls are taking liberties
    For years now they have lived inland and are a bloomin nuisance, I love to see them in flight but having to dodge them around town
    and having to put netting on our chimneys - they could be more considerate ............;)

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

All of the corn and seeds are gone off of the driveway this morning, and I saw little birdies pecking around along side of the driveway where i put the food yesterday afternoon; so they are learning where the new dining area for birds is at.
    Once some of them start eating there, all of the rest (who are sitting around in the trees , anyway) will see the ones that are eating, and then they will all soon be happily eating out front.
    One thing that I like is that when they perch in the trees and shrubbery, they also fertilize it for me, so everything should grow even better once they help out with that part.
    Today is a fitness center day, so while we are gone, I will put out more food in the driveway for them to eat.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've stopped putting the bird seed on the balcony each morning, in the hope of dissuading the squirrels. However, they magically appear whenever I put seeds out, and the birds are coming less frequently. I'm hoping when the baby/junior squirrels mature, they will move on, and it will be less of an issue.

How long will it be before y'all get the new pool set up and ready for use?

6. Yvonne Smith

Update on these hungry/angry birds.
    We have stopped feeding them out back, and only put bird/squirrel food out front now. However, every morning, if it is not raining, we put out a dish of food for the dogs when we let them out for their first morning outing.
    The birds discovered the dog food on the porch, and soon thought that it was their personal buffet, even when the dogs were right there beside the food.
    The dogs will chase the squirrels, but they seem to ignore the birds, and as more and more birds learned about the Breakfast Buffet, they were cleaning up all of the dog food before the dogs even had much chance to have breakfast.
    I have no problem with the birds and squirrels having something to eat, but on the other hand, I do not want all of the dog food going to them instead of the dogs.

Now, I put the food out, but only leave it a little while and as soon as the dogs come back inside, we remove the food dish. During the day, we repeat this process, putting the food out and then removing it as soon as the dogs come back inside again. In the late afternoon , around 4-5, the birds seem to quit coming around, and then we can leave the dog food outside until bedtime.

So, this morning, the birds were out there , squawking and fussing at each other (pretty sure that they were saying some “dirty words”) because there was no food. Maybe each bird thought the other birds had already eaten all of the dog food.
    In any case, they were not a happy bunch out there !

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I put food out for the birds and squirrels every morning, on our second-floor balcony, but I chase the pigeons away whenever they are there in volumes. There are four pigeons that have been here for years. I don't know how long pigeons live but it seems that it's been the same four of them for about ten years now. I don't mind them but, for whatever reason, every now and then they seem to invite their extended family, and we'll have thirty or forty of them at one time, and they're like flying cockroaches. They eat too much and they make a mess. Whenever our cats are upstairs, they enjoy slamming the window and that always scares them away. They used to do that to the squirrels but squirrels know about windows and will come right up to the window and get in the cat's face, and that insults them, I think.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Birds amaze me. There is a concrete birdbath outside my kitchen window that stays busy in the spring and summer with little birds splashing around. The water basin on the bath is no more than 2' in diameter and 3-5" deep I guess. It's in an area of banana trees, so they tend to grow up over the birdbath and keep it shady. I've mentioned to my husband several times that I wonder how on earth they find that little birdbath; it must be hard to see from way up there flying by even with a "birds-eye view." But it stays busy, and I love watching the action.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I used to have tons of bird feeders out, and stopped when bear started to invade my trash cans. Funny, I had been feeding the birds out of multiple feeders for at least 5 years before the bears discovered my garbage.

I set up a heated birdbath for them (just warm enough to prevent freezing) but for all of the birds I had at my feeders (and there were constantly tons of them), I never saw a single one in the bath, nor did I ever see evidence of there presence there.

As Beth said, birds amaze me. They seem to be the most free of all the critters.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We feed the birds in the winter although hubby was begging for them this morningo_OThey were just asking for water which I put out in dry spells. They come right up to the patio doors with their orders.One dry year my husband saw a family of turkeys in the yard and put a pan out for them. They came with friends the whole dry season.
    I used to hate robins in the morning because the were the first up and sang their territory song for hours in the dusky light:mad: Well now I have a song sparrow that is even worse! It has a song and it is kind of like when I get a song stuck in my head and can't get it out--but this one is out and won't stop!

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

Preach it, Sister!

There is this one annoying sparrow and the noise it makes can hardly be called a "song." And you gotta wonder how effective the cacophony is if it's got to go on ad infinitum day after day after day. At some point, you go to Plan B. Go buy her flowers or worms or something...just please shut up.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

In my back yard the little Carolina wrens are the loudest. If you are sitting within a few feet it makes you jump.

(not my video)

13. John Brunner

It's amazing, isn't it?

The highest Decibels-per-Gram ratio than any other creature on the planet. You do have to give them credit for that.

I love reading stories of Native Americans living in concert with the critters, using them as cover and as alarms (either their noise or a lack thereof.)

Nancy Hart and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Where's my gun?!

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

Watch it.

ANTIFA, BLM, and migratory fowl are all Federally protected.

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.