American Indian Heritage

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lara Moss, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh there's no question in my mind as to why my Grandma didn't like "Ol Andy! LOL Somehow I doubt that Grandma had to deal with him in the afterlife, but you never know. Maybe he repented for what he did.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  2. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Not to worry, I believe strongly that Grandma will never see Andrew Jackson, as she knew him, in "the afterlife". I read (see link below) that we will only see or remember the good things about people and anything they've done wrong will be cleansed and restored. We will see them as God sees them. After all, we will live in eternal peace, love, and happiness after our physical death.
    http://www.gotquestions.org/remember-Heaven.html

American Indian quote…

12196291_1187814717901889_8932492032824419013_n.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

………...
    81fad33e886620cd547d5aa8a50a881c.jpg il_570xN.803729250_rabr.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Like some I've seen Cowboys and Indians movies. I'm don't have Indian blood. I did not know that they had symbols shown in prior posts. I remember one thing that on American Pickers came up recently of the environmental commercial featuring an Indian actor that the Pickers came across of items used in the commercial:

Yvonne Smith and Lara Moss like this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Pardon me for this comment. As I had said before, we were raised with an American orientation such that anything American is good. An addendum is our orientation for the whites. The countless cowboy movies being watched by the men and the boys on tv and in theaters were all about the good cowboys and the bad Indians. In grade school, our impression of Indians is that they are people of violence who hated the whites that they would kill upon sighting of a white American. Fortunately, that image of the Indians had significantly changed now maybe due to the globalization and the technology.

7. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Krissttina Isobe, and @Krissttina Isobe, I was hoping that people without Indian blood would post as well. There is always two side to any story. I know there were many many other races of people in history that had dealing with Indians. Many of them help the Indians servive hunger, they help treat those illnesses that the Indians had no knowlege of how to treat. Many went to great lengths to help the Indians keep lands that they could rebuild their lives on. Without the help of the settlers, I doubt my race would be here today.

So I hope all of you that still have older relatives will ask them what was passed on to them. You know many of them will enjoy the chance to tell of days gone by. Their story were more than likely passed on down to them from their grandparent, but verbal histories are common to all races I think, and especially for Indians who had no written language but for symbols.

We've all have heard about the atrocities that happened long ago, but that has been over a long time, and we did manage to come together, and those stories are what I would like to see as well as those from any Indian descendants.

Terry Page and Lara Moss like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It might be a little hard for someone from another country to understand but the United States Corie, is a "Conquered" land. Indeed, nothing came freely and the movies do not do any justice to the truth.
    The land that the Indian tribes inhabited all across what we now know as the U.S. for the most part, was taken from them by the European settlers that came here mainly from Spain, France and England. Yes, a few Germans, Dutch, and Irish were on board but the majority are as I stated.

There's no getting around it, but when the tribes went to war against the settlers they were pretty much justified in doing so. But, the Euopeans, with better weapons, engineering, technology and a continuing force of fighters the Indian didn't stand much of a chance. At one time, it was nearly a mass genocide that was taking place here and if it wasn't for some cool heads in leadership on both sides of the isle it very well might have happened.

There is still a lot of friction between "us and them" but someday, maybe things will finally be at total peace.
    Movies are for entertainment only and should NEVER be regarded as having any absolute unvarnished truth to them.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My Grandfather grew up in Texas. He was an English boy whose mother died young, and his father adopted all of the children out; so he ended up being raised by a German family, and married a German wife.
    They moved around the area of the South, and my mother would tell me the story of when her father was an Indian agent in Arizona, and she was a young girl.
    She said that she went to the Indian school, and all of her playmates were the Indian children. I well remember her story about riding to school in the buckboard, and the wild longhorn cows that would chase and attack the buckboard.
    She said the children would all be huddled down at the bottom of the buckboard as the driver would try to fight off the wild longhorns with his bullwhip. If they had been overturned, the children would have probably all been gored to death, or crushed by the wagon when it overturned.

One of her best friends in life was an Indian girl, and that girl made my mother a silver bracelet that had been engraved with designs that showed her feeling for my mother, and their friendship. My mother was just a young girl when she lived there; but she wore that bracelet (her only jewelry) every day of her life as a memory to that beautiful friendship between them.

One interesting side story was that my mother remembered a wandering writer who came through the area, and was gathering notes about the country and the Indians so he could write about the life out in the desert.
    She never knew who the man was; but she said that she always wondered if it might have been Zane Grey, who wrote about those same areas of Arizona.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  10. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Yvonne Smith, and @Bobby Cole, thank you for showing the two sides of the issue. That is exactly what I was badly trying to do with this thread. @Lara Moss, is so much better than I at promoting the good things that survived those long ago times. Yes there was bad, but it's time to look at the benefits that came from the merging of all our nationalities. :):rolleyes:

11. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Truly movies play a big role in the culture. Aside from the "bad Indians" that was impressed on our young minds was the "bad Japanese soldiers" who were always portrayed as killers of innocent people. But when I grew up, those impressions had changed and we were able to adjust to the changing times - the Japanese are here now on business and not on invasion. With the Indians, movies have changed their character from a violent tribe to one that is abused by the government (not exactly by the Whites).

Just like how the blacks were able to secure their place in the country (US) with mostly their athletic achievements, perhaps the Indian have a niche of their own like in the arts.

12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I like looking forward in Celebration and Tribute to the American Indian Heritage and their Achievements and Contributions to America. But I'm glad it came up now because, not only is the "Buffalo" in the room addressed but it has offered an opportunity for views articulated in a very thorough and respectful way….laced with knowledge, wisdom, and shared stories of treasured family histories tied to American Indians.

It's an example of how far we have come and an example of how we can all come together in this thread to share the good that can be found. There's always good to be found when you look for it.

Thank you @Yvonne Smith for sharing your family history and your memories of your great grandfather, your mother, and your mother's best friend who was American Indian.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Ina I. Wonder and Lara Moss like this.
  14. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Many a tradition at Thanksgiving is INDIAN PUDDING. We had it when I was growing up in Pennsylvania. So I called my mother for the recipe this morning so I could post it for you. Later, when I searched for a pic of it I learned that this is a rather New England tradition and not really an American Indian recipe because they had neither Molasses nor Milk…and therefore no butter I assume, and certainly no vanilla ice cream to put on it.

It's interesting to learn something about the American Indians when I'm not even trying. If anyone wants the recipe I can post it over in the Thanksgiving thread because it's a fall tradition.

I will be posting a list of Agricultural Contributions from the American Indians as well as Products soon.

15. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Cooking fish…
    cooking_fish.jpg