American Indian Heritage

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lara Moss, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ina I. Wonder and Lara Moss like this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Lara we kind of lost the plot big time somewhere didn't we

3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes we did, Terry. Intriguing News article Chrissy.

11231207_1186356681381026_2882963542215799147_n.jpg

Terry Page and Joe Riley like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Heap big squall, come through valley...lay down white blanket! ;)
    [​IMG]
    Lost in a Snowstorm Date 1888

Chrissy Cross and Lara Moss like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Can you imagine life in those days? And we are always whining...I'm too hot or I'm too cold in the comfort of our homes and cars!

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

....what's this "WE" stuff....you got a mouse in your pocket??;):confused:

Brittany Houser likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Okay...I am always whining! :)

Terry Page and Joe Riley like this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Indian squaw in a matchbox. Siamese mouse.
    [​IMG]

Brittany Houser likes this.
  10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Joe Riley, I really enjoyed the vidio. Living here around Houston, I don't get to see many Indians. I have to admit, I'm gald I didn't have to live in those days. Indian or white, life was very hard, and many didn't live to old age.

@Lara Moss, I do remember that song. and the lyrics were fine, but that dumb music drives me crazy.

I'm sorry I didn't introduce you to my family in the picture. I was trying to show the angel my grandfather carved when he was in his teens. On the left was my husband Michael, on the far extreme right my son Michael, and in the middle was me hiding behind my two grandson Michael the fourth and his little brother Scott. The boys are now 25 and 28, and live in Pa.

My German father would not let my Indian grandmother teach me her language. She use to call me a name in her language, until he stopped it. but when I asked her what it meant, she told me it meant "Girl who runs away". I ran away three time by the time I was 11.

And thank you for the reading list, I am going to see what the cost will be. I never bought a Cristames present for myself. . If I can get them before Christmas, they will probably help me through this holiday season.

I think Indian saying are very much like the basic rules of most religions. there just phrased differently.

@Chrissy Page, Yes, you right about the moccasins being the same ones I wore in some of my vacation pictures, I wear them almost daily and have since I was a child and received my first pair from my grandfather. It's like running around in strong socks, and so comfy.

I really liked you video, when my family bought our log cabin we we took out over 35 extremely tall pine trees just from our front yard I think we removed all together at least 60 trees from our five acers. The next year the grass started to grow, and the sunlight turn the yard very lush.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Lara Moss likes this.
  11. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

My Grandmother was a full blooded Cherokee whose family assimilated completely into the "American" culture. She married a full blooded Irishman (he was so short compared to her :D), and they produced a BIG family! My Grandma was a warm loving woman who never spoke ill of anyone...except Andrew Jackson. She called him, "Old Andy Jackson," and would just shake her head sadly when she said it. I'm glad she was able to assimilate. She was a content woman of great faith, but I mourn the loss of her heritage (and mine), and I wish she would have talked about her life growing up on the reservation.:(

12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Joe…thats a fascinating video. I watched the whole thing and learn more and more as this thread unravels.. Thank you.

Ina…your grandfather's wood carving is beautiful. What a skill he mastered.

The American Indians had many achievements and one was woodcarving…
    Artist Jim Redhawk did the top 3 and other 2 are by American Indians too

dfc1abfae4a8f98feacaf2112115d86b.jpg hqdefault-1.jpg hqdefault.jpg
    160467347_wood-carving-wood-spirit-native-american-indian-flight.jpg
    image-2.jpg

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe your grandmother didn't like Andrew Jackson because he led campaigns against the Creeks and Seminoles during his military career and signed the Indian Removal Act as president. He lived in NC and so did the Cherokees.

He was also a gambler and gambled away his father's inheritance. His parents, Andrew and Elizabeth, immigrated from Northern Ireland and in 1765 they set sail with their two sons, Hugh and Robert, from the port town of Carrickfergus for America. The Jacksons settled with fellow Scotch-Irish Presbyterians in the Waxhaws region in NCarolina.

My mother read all of the thick books of the founding father's biographies and the only one she said she didn't like was Andrew Jackson (who wasn't a founding father but close enough lol). I asked her why once but forgot what she said. I'll ask her tonight "why" and get back to you with her opinion.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

AJ was a bad boy...Moving on :) it's been a such a pleasure to celebrate the American Indian Heritage Month as we pay tribute to the contributions our American Indians have made to our country, their achievements, traditions, our family histories, sharing inherited keepsakes, viewing artifacts…oh, yes, artifacts……

American Indian Artifact Tools (and bow? No. What is that?)…

images copy.jpeg images-1 copy 3.jpeg 65880.jpg e20f95351aac99bc7610e84b6a68b458.jpg 76524 2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Terry Page likes this.