Amazon Stress!

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Patsy Faye, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

OOOO. Drones. I don't think I would like a drone invading my space, let alone deliver a package. Although, Amazon has said for a while they were going to use drones but haven't as of yet. Maybe it is still far into the future.

2. I c/p this from their site:

We're excited about Prime Air — a future delivery system from Amazon designed to safely get packages to customers in 30 minutes or less using small unmanned aerial vehicles, also called drones. Prime Air has great potential to enhance the services we already provide to millions of customers by providing rapid parcel delivery that will also increase the overall safety and efficiency of the transportation system. Putting Prime Air into service will take some time, but we will deploy when we have the regulatory support needed to realize our vision.

HT_amazon_prime_drone_jef_131202_16x9_992.jpg

3. Oh, to add: I don't know if it's nationwide, but I've noticed Amazon or Amazon sellers first give the packages to a carrier called DHL Global, and then somewhere along the line they transfer it to the USPS. And neither is as accurate as they should be with tracking.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

From what I have read about the drone deliveries, they have started doing it in some other countries, Canada, (I think) is one.
    They are not allowed to do it in the United States at this time, but once all of the red tape has been taken care of then they should start doing it here as well.
    Amazon has their prime pantry, and maybe something else where they deliver food and groceries, and from the article that I read about drone delivery, this would be what they would be using the drones for. The packages have to be relatively lightweight, and going a short distance.
    So, sending a grocery order across town with a drone would be much faster and cheaper than having a carrier pick up the groceries and drive across town through traffic to deliver them.
    The person receiving the package would already know that was how they were being delivered, and could just watch for the drone to land in the font yard or the deck, wherever it was supposed to drop the package.
    I think that it is a great idea; but it is not likely that we will be getting our regular Amazon orders delivereed by a drone anytime real soon.

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

The thing I really don't like about this idea...is that it will just put more people out of jobs.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I've had similar problems but each time the fault was with UPS. When I was in the Rio Grande Valley, they would sometimes leave my stuff with neighbors whom I didn't know, and who didn't even speak English, rather than leaving them on my porch, which was open. A couple of times, they did so when I was home. Each time, Amazon.com would refund me or send another package out, sometimes both. It doesn't hurt to call Amazon.com about it because, since they contract with UPS for delivery, they do have responsibility and are generally very good about making it good. Since I've been in Millinocket though, we know the UPS drivers, as well as our neighbors, so we haven't had a problem here.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Arlene Richards - Hi, the situation here is this - if I order from a 'seller' on Amazon then the item is usually delivered by Royal Mail or another courier
    If I order from Amazon direct - then it is delivered by Amazon Logistics, their drivers are foreign and English not good, so doesn't help
    But just to be clear, Amazon 'do' deliver over here ...................

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We usually do not have a problem with delivery when it is UPS, and the regular mailman (lady) knows us as well; so the only ones which are accidentally left at the wrong address would be if there is a different mailman on duty and ours is on vacation. If we happen to not be home, or even if we are home, hey ussually just leave it on the porch.
    When we lived in Florence, we got another person's mail and they got ours several times. They didn't live close to us but except for the street name, the address was the same. I would have to call the Post Office, and they would pick up the mail/package at the other people's house and we would get it the next day.
    Amazon has always been very good to either give us a refund or replacement when there was an issue with a product.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

When I know I will be away, I don't have things sent to my house but to my daughters house or my son's, depending on where I am.

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Well I'm usually here as I was that day
    I have no other issues with Amazon, I agree they are very good
    Just need to get their drivers sorted out and they will be 'totally' fab :)

11. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

That is frustrating - the different methods of delivery in different countries are interesting but irrelevant to your frustration. And whether your parcel was being delivered by Royal Mail or Amazon Logistics is irrelevant - as is the language of the delivery person. Unless they don't know the Latin alphabet they can read the number and street name on the parcel - there's no excuse for him/her to have left it at another house number. The real frustration is that YOU WERE THERE - they didn't even bother to knock on your door.

12. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Julie Stewart - true. I did wonder about the language as to whether they pick up instructions well enough
    If they can't understand the key pad outside, they are supposed to phone me
    Something is up the wall with this and I hope its sorted out :)

13. That reminds me of experiences I had with Fed-Ex early this year- a/k/a winter:
    It wasn't Amazon, but I ordered a gift- a photo item- and it was dropped on the snow-covered door mat directly in front of my door. I would never have known it was there if I hadn't gone out to check my mailbox, and almost stepped on it; and when the tracking info finally showed up it said the package had been sitting there for around 2 hours.
    As the item didn't turn out the way it should have, I had to reorder; thought I'd get a head start on Fed-Ex, so on a sheet of printing paper I wrote 'FED- EX: PLEASE KNOCK ON DOOR.'
    Did they do this? nope. Although I taped the note on the door directly above the mat, the second package was simply left on the snowy mat, too. One of the maintenance guys saw it and brought it to me after it'd been there around an hour.
    In both cases, it's surprising the items weren't ruined. So I contacted Fed-Ex, and all they said was their drivers are 'on a tight schedule,' so they couldn't be bothered to knock on a door!

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Funny you should say that I wondered about the schedule too, probably plays a part in this

15. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered