Am I Old Or Am I Stupid?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

This morning, I walk around with a timer, not kidding. I put on coffee water to boil and take no chances.
    I still need a reminder for closing cabinet doors, other the the black bruises on my arms, fingers.
    I do now remember to feel for open doors since I walked into one a couple years ago gor 2 big black eyes and almost knocked myself out, so anywhere near a door the hands go out feeling.
    Of course Jake leaves the toilet seat up and at night I go to sit and, well you can imagine, but he finally learned to remember, nothing like a very loud objection mixed with a few bad words to remind him.
    I ask how would he like it if I pulled a chair out just as he was beginning to sit down, he got the picture.

2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Prefer, getting old over stupid, myself. :D You mentioned pulling a chair out from under me; reminds me of a time when we first started dating, and you pulled one out from under the big professional wrestler woman. She walked into the bar where you were resting your feet in a chair; holding it for a friend to come back and she snatched it out; and said this is my f-ing chair. Turned around with the chair and started wiggling and getting ready to sit when I saw you take off, to snatch it back. I took in behind you to stop you, and didn't quite catch you.

The hold floor shook when that big woman hit the floor.:eek: I was right behind you when she got up; and was she mad? Her nostrils were flaring like a bull. I said Shiite, we fixing to get it, she flew to us grabbing you by the hair of the head and snatching you around; while you were laughing. I thought you were crazy, laughing about that. I got on her back; holding her wrist; and my feet wouldn't touch the floor she was so big. She acted like I wasn't even on her back. o_O

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Neither. My guess is you are just distracted. Too many things on your mind at once.

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

That was kinda of stupid of me. I was a day bar tender there and we met in that bar,

Jake Smith likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

We do get overlaod more now and that interferes with our logic.

Jake Smith likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Finacial stupid happens too and it cost us.:oops:

Jake Smith likes this.
  7. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This is a good song for this thread, "older I get", have no regrets, and wouldn't change a thing. Better than being stupid, huh?

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. Alice Williams

Registered

I totally relate. I'm working on becoming more patient with myself and being more deliberate when putting my glasses, keys, etc. down somewhere. It's like sometimes my brain has a cloud surrounding it.

9. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ahh, yes. I also learned to look before I sit. And also turn on the bathroom light first.
    At my previous size, I could sit with the seat up or down. A few years ago, I started to sit without checking & I caught myself just as I was falling in. And a couple of parts got wet. And damn......that water is cold.

10. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds just like my DH .,the very rare times I’ll ask him to get something from the supermarket for me , he will say I thought we needed some sweets ( lollies as we call them) ..no I didn’t ask for any …
    @Ken Anderson

What is a lolly in Australian slang?

It is short for lollipop. Now that all seems fairly straight-forward, until we learn that lolly is actually the Australian word for sweets –

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like to cook and I have 4 timers with magnetic backs stuck to my fridge. I have 2 more in a drawer. (Most of them also take temp probes.) I use them all the time to remember things.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_6502.jpeg If I need a timer I use the one on my Apple Watch ….or simply ask my hey Google home hub to set a timer
    @John Brunner

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeh, I use the one on my watch all the time. Besides timing food, I use the one on the fridge for timing my afternoon tea steeping. I also use it if I put a cast iron pan on the heat with some oil to refresh the finish, and I don't want to forget about it.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

When we're doing any routine thing that we've done thousands of times, we depend on what's called muscle memory to get us through, but our active mind is thinking about something else and we sometimes screw up. It's like walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Ken Anderson likes this.