Alone On Christmas

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Jan Ahlmann, Dec 20, 2023.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Our bunch are spread out all over and most do not have the funds or way to travel to Kansas. We both miss our Texas and the family. We will be having Christmas dinner here on Christmas Eve , with the niece and her family. Hubby will cook a prime rib- free of charge since nieces hubby gets beef from his employer, cattle rancher.
    I remember when I was single, by choice, for long time - the holidays were the worst. Awe but these to do pass.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, if my memories of having a houseful of teenagers are correct, you'll be thankful for peace and quiet when they go home. :)

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been to the Christmas Eve services of random churches in the past 10 years or so, since the churches I attended did not have such services. One church in the group of 3 that I was attending does a cookie swap (which got suspended due to the virus), and they've restarted this year. They are also having Christmas Eve services tonight, probably because it falls on Sunday.

I called up a friend who does not drive after dark, and I'm gonna pick her up in a bit and take her with me. It should be a good time...I like the folks at this church.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

To All:

May you have the gladness of Christmas which is hope;

The spirit of Christmas which is peace;
    The heart of Christmas which is love.
    – Ada V. Hendricks

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Well, the cookie swap and services were Christmas Eve Eve. There was no one there when we showed up. I hate it when I flake out like that. I marked the wrong date on my calendar, even after double-checking.

I gave half of my cookies to my friend to take to a Christmas lunch she was attending and went into town for a steak & cheese at the local mom & pop.

edit to add: At least it got me off of my butt to make a batch of spritz Christmas tree cookies.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
  6. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Alone? No, my lovely SO is here with me, as is her little fur kid. Love them both. And i was able to talk briefly with my DIL & grandsons, and then had an extended phone call with one of my older brothers. But this is the first Christmas since the death of my son this past August. I have now outlived both my children, their mother, and my second wife.

So, not alone in a physical sense, but feeling mighty lonely.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have not been alone on Christmas since I've been a senior. Although I didn't marry until I was 48, I was in my early 20s when I adopted a son as a single parent, but when he married and I moved to Texas, I had a few solitary Christmases. Then, once I became a paramedic, I usually volunteered to work the holidays so that married co-workers and employees could spend them with their families. As a paramedic, we were generally kept pretty busy over the holidays. I do know that it can be sad and lonely being alone on Christmas, in particular, probably more so the older we get, and I hope that I will never have to experience it.