Agency On Aging, Help For Seniors

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Yvonne Smith, May 10, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here in Alabama, it is called TARCOG, and they are an agency that can help seniors with different aspects of life, from legal issues, to help getting medical or financial aid.
    I was looking to see if there was a similar organization in Texas that might help Ina in case she has to have an operation of some kind and needs help with medical issues or hospital bills not covered by her medicare.
    It turns out that it is called the Agency on Aging, and it is available in all states; so I thought that I would list it here on the forum, in case it might also benefit someone else on here reading this thread.
    I think you would have to contact each agency in your own state to find out exactly what services are offered; but at least this is a place to start inquiring about getting help.

If it is not already on your Senior Directory list, @Ken Anderson , this might be a good thing to have on the referral page you are making for seniors.
    The link lists by states, and you just look up which office is closest to you.

https://www.agingcare.com/local/Area-Agency-on-Aging

Von Jones and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for posting this, @Yvonne Smith. Do you know if @Ina I. Wonder has seen it? The Houston-Galveston agency doesn't list Harris County (which is the county Houston is in, and also the county that that particular agency is situated in, so that's particularly odd) as one it services. I believe @Ina I. Wonder said that she lives in Harris County, and it appears that Harris County has its own separate agency, which is on the list. The Harris County Area Agency on Aging does cover these areas that might be helpful for Ina.
    • Assistance in gaining access to services
    • Individual counseling, support groups and caregiver training
    • Respite care
    • Supplemental services, on a limited basis

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

AARP is also a great resource and can give a great deal of assistance to individuals, more than most people realize. I would read over their list of services, and see if there is something that would fit. If she is in Harris County, ie the Houston area, she should be able to benefit from a number of services geared toward senions, although I agree the Agency on Agency or the local CSB (mental health establishment) or social services is the place to start.