A Ruined Date When I Was 19

Discussion in 'People I Have Known' started by Tony Nathanson, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I rarely have any interaction with police officers, but I remember one 51 years ago:
    At 19, my girlfriend & I had a picnic planned in a park. I went to the restroom. When I walked in, I saw a man on the floor, slumped against the wall next to a urinal. I thought, "He'll probably never get drunk again when he realizes he passed out on a dirty restroom floor."
    After a few seconds, I realized how quiet it was & took a closer look & saw that he wasn't breathing; he was dead. And the brown swede jacket he was wearing was soaked in dried blood. And the zipper on the gym bag next to him was partly open & there was a bunch of cash in it.
    I ran out, told my girlfriend about it & we walked across the street to a gas station & called police. They told us to meet them at the park.
    One cop went in the restroom & the other one stayed with us. The cop came out of the restroom & said, "Yeah, that's the 211."
    He told us the guy tried to rob the liquor store a block away & the clerk shot him.

The cop asked me if I touched anything in the bathroom. I said, "Only the urinal handle to flush it."

The cop asked me, "Did you see the money in the bag?" I said, "Yes."

The cop asked me, "How much cash did you take?"

I got really angry & answered, "None, sir. How much cash did YOU take?"

The cop asked me, "Why are you being a smart ass?"

I said, "Because you accused me of being a thief."

The cop says, "No, I didn't; I asked you if you touched the money."

I said, "No, you asked me how much cash I took. If you don't you see the difference, you must have failed first-grade English."

He said "Pfffft" & walked away, mumbling something about "Long-Haired Freaks." The other cop took our names & addresses.

After I calmed down, I asked my date: "Gee, I wonder why young people don't respect cops & call them "Pigs, (a popular term at the time). Where do they find such dickheads?"