A Question Re: Politics

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Janice Martin, Dec 30, 2016.

1. I always took terminology such as liberal, conservative, etc., to reflect one's stand on political issues and some social issues that are mixed into politics. Something I never encountered until a year or so ago: since when is the term 'conservative' compatible with, or synonymous with, 'racist'?

I'm all for GOD, FAMILY, COUNTRY- but what's presented as 'conservative' on some sites makes it sound like they all belong to the KKK.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I sympathize with your debacle because I do not know of a "conservative" that isn't a tad angrily confused as well.
    While the Democratic Party has repeatedly exposed itself to endorse outright slavery throughout American history, somehow as recent as the last few years the arrow has been pointed at the more conservative Republican Party and the bow is being wielded by none other than our present president, his majesty and grand pubah, King Obama.

I think the larger part is because our present resident in the White House is a democrat and a bad one at that. The republicans didn't and do not like him so that makes us all racists. We do not like him because he is a bad president, not because he is black but try convincing that to someone who favors BLM, Al Sharpton and yes, Obama. Anything, whether it is a proposed bill or an initiative that involves a black person that the Republican Party does not favor is considered racist because It is well known among the dems that even bad bills are good if some other race proposes it other than a caucasian.

The opinions offered here are not necessarily those of this radio station or staff..........

Sheldon Scott and Joe Riley like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I see your knock on the noggin didn't affect you ability to use the tool I like best: sarcastic humor to expose the truth. Good job!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Both Conservative and Liberal have taken on different meanings by different people over time.

Years ago I called my self a Conservative when some one asked me, and then when I found out that to some that mean't I was a Christian (I am an atheist) I decided just not to reply when asked, or to say I was a Fiscal Conservative and a Social Liberal, which obviously required further explanation.

Ken Anderson and Frank Sanoica like this.

6. In no particular order:

1. Someone had posted a news story about a child who'd been killed, and the mother couldn't afford a funeral. An individual remarked 'Why, how expensive is a Hefty bag and a shovel?'
    2. A forum that pretends it's 'all about' religious freedom consistently harasses Christians and drives Jewish members off. One individual posted: 'Do you know how many Jews you can fit into a Volkswagen- 6 million and one- one in the driver's seat and 6 million in the ashtray.'
    3. An individual commented that late-term abortions wasn't enough for Hispanics- that the babies should be killed when they're born so taxpayers don't have to pay to support them.
    4. A so-called conservative politics forum never fails to refer to African-Americans by 'the N word,' and uses variations of the word 'Jew' as a verb.
    and these are only a few examples. No one with any common sense could say these remarks aren't racist.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin
    Actually, where I grew up outside of Chicago, it was standard accepted language to ask someone who talked of having just purchased an item, "Did you "Jew" him down?" I believe the practice likely stemmed from the fact that the Jewish tend to become businessmen, sellers and providers of product, or otherwise involved in the movement of goods. That was use of the word as a verb.
    Frank

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Maybe I just pick my forums more carefully because I would be shocked over any of that stuff, @Janice Martin. As a directory editor, I have reviewed actual KKK forums and found them not to be so blatantly racist. Certainly, such a forum would have a steeply targeted audience, a very limited one. In fact, the scary thing about David Duke, when he was still a Klansman forty years ago, was that he had a good sense of humor, carefully avoided racist terminology, and made racism seem reasonable to anyone who wasn't paying close attention.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Terry Page likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Forums are like alcohol in that like alcohol, all of the social whitewash that prevails in real life can be disposed of in a second. But, unlike alcohol, a person frequenting a forum has the ability to use a facade called an *avatar* and can't be physically seen or truely known. Such a facade enables many people to reveal who they really are down deep inside their very being. Some people in reality are timid but on a forum are as raging lions while others the exact opposite.

Labels are only as good as the person chooses to be and unforunately, people on forums do not always give a good example of what that label indicates because there is no earthly accountability involved.
    Some folks who frequent Christian forums are not Christians the same as some people are not republicans on a republican forum.
    Not everything is as it seems and the best advice I give myself is that because in all instances I use my own name I ask the question: Would I be proud to be known to be among this group of people?
    In real life and in a forum, it is all the same to me so I guard myself well against any such encumbrance that might paint a portrait of me as an untrue or shallow person.