A First For Us!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Planted about 3 years ago. We have our first Pomegrannies! The little green guy to the left, grew from seed apparently, it's a Palo Verde, difficult to transplant, we think the two will stay close together right where they are.

[​IMG]

Other side of the bush, a couple other fruits visible, there were 5! As a kid, my Mother occasionally bought one, she called them "Chinese Apples". I loved the uniquely different way they looked inside, compared to the common fruits we ate. They are the source of the rich, red Grenadine syrup most bartenders like for sweet red drinks. Good syrup for household use, too.

[​IMG]

I cut one off today, thinking they must be ripe. It was not. The seeds will be greatly enjoyed by the Quail!

[​IMG]

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, so sorry to hear about picking an unripe fruit... and it's the first, huh. Pomegranate is not really alien to me but it's not a common fruit here. In fact, I have only seen its plant when we moved in this house where there was a decorative pomegranate in the front yard. It lasted for some years before it succumbed to "old age" maybe. But in the recent years, I have been seeing pomegranate in the supermarket which came from Vietnam and India. I had wanted to sample it one time but the price tag was exorbitant. What if I didn't like the taste? I am waiting for some friends to tell me how it tastes before I would buy.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Pomegranate Sky
    [​IMG]

Frank Sanoica and K E Gordon like this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Taylor Berrette although he dosn't sound like him, looks something like Elvis. Thanks for the song. It was pretty good! Congrats Frank on your bush too. It is always exciting when you can grow sometin yourself. It is just one of the small thrills you can get out of life. It is one of the things that you can enjoy in your life. Pomegrants ae so good for you too. They are some of the best fruits that you can find and can utilize, chock full of vitamins.

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Taylor reminds me a little of a young Bob Dylan.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  6. K E Gordon

Registered

You think so? I wasn't really sure who he sounded like honestly. He does really have a great voice though, no matter who he sounds like. He doesn't have much of a following yet, but I predict he will at some point, I think he is quite the singer, and pretty good looking as well.

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Corie Henson Corie, here is a sliced-open pomegranate, if the copy image works (my wife's tablet, not too familiar with it).
    upload_2016-8-26_13-17-48.jpeg
    The seeds are individually surrounded by the tiny sacs of sweet, red juice, and getting them separated is the real challenge in eating one. The fruit is among those highest in the cancer-reducing chemicals.

Corie Henson likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I love pomegranates, too ! My mom used to get them when I was little and she would break them open and we would enjoy those beautiful cherry red seeds.
    Getting them open was always the hardest part, and somewhere I read about a method using water, and it seems like that worked okay to get them out faster.
    This guy has an interesting method that seems to work really well, so the next pomegranate we buy, I will have to try this and see if it works as well as it did for him. Or maybe, @Frank Sanoica will be eating another one of his pomegranates and can test this method out for us ?

9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

As they say, you learn something new every day. I never understood how to eat pomegranates. As a small child I was given one in a bowl that had been cut open, and that was it. I had no idea of how eat it. I put some of the red seeds in my mouth and started to chew. The red jelly stuff was interesting, but the seeds were very bitter. And I couldn't figure out how to remove the seeds. I thought the bitter taste of the seeds far outweighed the very little amount of the red juice.What was I doing wrong? :(

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder You did not separate the seeds from the pulp, spit them out, then enjoy the savory taste of the pulp!
    Frank

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder You did not separate the seeds from the pulp, spit them out, then enjoy the savory taste of the pulp!
    Frank

12. K E Gordon

Registered

I saw them peel a pomegranets once on TV that actually put it in water to peel it and remove the seeds. I am not sure that they even sell whole pomegranets around here. They do sell the juice I know that. The juice is really good for blood pressure, but it is quite expensive, so that is a problem. I wish they would sell pomegraneet juice that is light, and they may, I just haven't seen it. I try not to drink full sugar juices, as they are so high in calories, they may be better than soda, but the calories are the same or more.

Frank Sanoica and Corie Henson like this.
  13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

If that pomegranate is good for high blood pressure, do you happen to know if it can be a substitute for maintenance medication of hypertension? I have been reading a lot of natural cures like soursop which controls (and probably kills) cancer cells, and some herbs that I had already posted in other threads. Well, I still have to read a natural cure for high blood pressure.

Pomegranate is also expensive here that's why I am hesitant to buy. They are available in the supermarket now, the big variety which has red seeds that look yummy.

14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Corie Henson First I've ever heard about the B.P. lowering effect. Seems corroborated accord to: https://authoritynutrition.com/12-proven-benefits-of-pomegranate/..... Frank

6. Pomegranate May Lower Blood Pressure
    [​IMG]

High blood pressure (hypertension) is one of the leading drivers of heart attacks and strokes.

In one study, people with high blood pressure had a significant reduction after consuming 150 ml (5 oz) of pomegranate juice daily for 2 weeks (15).

Other studies have found similar effects, especially for systolic blood pressure (the higher number in a blood pressure reading) (16, 17).

Bottom Line: Regular intake of pomegranate juice has been shown to lower blood pressure levels in as little as 2 weeks.

Corie Henson likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@K E Gordon Trick would be to drink less, maybe 5 ounces daily, to get the benefits of the antioxidant materials contained. 150 calories per 8 oz. cup, 5 ounce portion daily only 95 calories. See my post #14, above.

Corie Henson likes this.