A Family Question

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Janice Martin, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

The other factor in this - is that parents I have witnessed, don't give the 'time' to children either
    When a child misbehaves, the option for me would be to sit that child down and tell them why their behaviour is wrong
    Then, depending on the situation, a punishment to fit the wrong
    I don't think the belt or slipper helps at all, it 'tells' them nothing
    Also what I see missing is the display of love for the child, they seem to be tossed aside today for the preference of TV !

Janice Martin and Babs Hunt like this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin You can "thank" Michelle Obama for the lunch throw outs! My daughter actually went through this with her young son when he came home from school one day and told his moma that the teacher had thrown out his "juice box" so he didn't have anything to drink with his lunch. When she asked him why his teacher did that he told her that the teacher said it was not a healthy drink for him. My daughter was furious and went to school the next day and told his teacher that she was never to undermind her parental authority again and that as her son's mom she would decide what he could eat and drink...not the teacher! And she also told the teacher if she has a problem concerning my daughter's son, that teacher was never to to put her son in the middle of it again, but to call my daughter and discuss the problem or concern with his Mother!!!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016

3. Right on! Your daughter sounds like an excellent mother!!!
    I think if more parents would do what she did, we could reverse this trend and put the say-so back with parents as it should be.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, that would have been happening under the "Just Say No to Drugs" educational program taught in her Elementary Schools.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Babs Hunt likes this.
  7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

From my perspective the entire idea of family has probably caused me more harm than good.

Sure things have changed. The epidemic of grandparents raising their grandchildren as one example.

8. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

One thing I'll acknowledge is that there are way too many children having children and adults having children out of wedlock. But that's nothing new.

And people move in together, often with kids from previous relationships then repeat the same pattern. No legal commitment. Most of us know people who should never have had children.

The term "fiance" has gotten to be a joke. Now it often just means the person one is currently sleeping with.

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  9. Frankly, I don't care what people do or their 'lifestyles,' etc., as long as they're not harming anyone, but this topic you mentioned is one of my main 'irks' these days, and cause can complications and confusions that are otherwise unnecessary: using words/terms that are inaccurate and/or dishonest, regarding relationships that either do not exist or are not as important as they're implied.

And from what I've seen, there's as much of it in our generation if not more, than younger people:
    Fiancee when there's no commitment or marriage plans, husband/wife only meaning who they're currently living with, and even daughters/sons when they're not the person's parent and not married to the person's parent.
    Not only is it dishonest, it takes away something important for people who actually do have those moral/legal/biological relationships.

10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt I do not think that here, and elsewhere, regarding teachers' exercising such ridiculous restraints upon students, we should blame the teachers. Their supervisors are acting out the desires of their own political Guides, promised escalation of position. I believe no teacher, in their own good auspices and counsel, could act as told here.

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Honestly Frank, It doesn't matter to me one bit why the teacher did that, it matters that she did do it and undermined my daughter's parental authority. If the teacher would have sent a note home with my grandson letting my daughter know that school policy was that students who brought their lunch from home had to follow certain guidelines with the food and drink, and according to the guidelines, my grandson's drink was not considered allowable, etc...then that would have been alright with my daughter. But the teacher threw my grandson's koolaid juice box away and told him that his mom gave him a bad drink for lunch! Now maybe koolaid does have alot of sugar and there are much healthier choices and my daughter does give them those healthier choices most of the time. But it is her choice to make, not the teacher's, nor the school's...and it is certainly not right for the teacher to tell my grandson his mom gave him a bad drink! Even if the drink was not an acceptable one for lunches brought from home, the teacher had no right to confront my grandson and tell him his mom did a bad thing (he's a second grader)...the teacher should have talked to my daughter instead. And I am glad my daughter stood up and told that teacher that she better never do something like that again. She also told her there was no reason she could not have called my daughter about this issue at anytime because the teacher had her cell phone number and if she would have called and explained the situation my daughter lives about two blocks from the school and would have brought her son a more appropriate drink for his lunch. For the teacher to tell a second grader that his mom did something bad is wrong.

Schools taking over parental authority is one of the reasons why you are seeing the breakdown of the Family.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  12. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica, @Babs Hunt
    Teachers exercising restraints and all the associated stories/details is a different topic.

13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

What I've seen in a lot of these situations is that the parents are often not together, and the one raising the kids is on her or (occasionally) his own, is usually working at least one job, and struggling to juggle child care, work, transportation, financial constraints, etc. Those parents are often so worn down the parents comply and go along with things such as the juice box issue @Babs Hunt mentioned, because they don't have time or energy to confront each of the many issues that arise. And, like @Ken Anderson, I believe the demise of the family was planned, and has been in effect for decades.

14. And another change that seems related:

I don't know if it's another "times changing" in general, or differs from place to place, but
    when my oldest was in the early grades of elementary school, and there was much emphasis on sexual abuse awareness, there was literature, books, even comic-style books for kids and parents to share, all focusing on kids needing to learn "Never keep secrets from your parents"- if there's any situation or any person that made a youngster feel uncomfortable, or that did not seem right, run and tell parents immediately, and if Mom or Dad wasn't available then go to a grandparent or other trusted adult.
    It was only common sense- and I'm sure prevented many unnecessary problems and tragedies.

On to recent years, and it's like "the less your parents know, the better."
    Kids being pushed to 'take charge of their own health care' is only one example.
    It's like telling kids 'those people who brought you into the world are nothing- rely on outsiders instead.'

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the United Nations Agenda's is to take control of our children all over the World, not just here in America. Those who started this Agenda feel that government know what is better for our children than we do and they want to set into place exactly what we have to do with our children, etc. If we don't do these things "they will have the right to take our children away from us" for the good of the children!

Ken Anderson and Frank Sanoica like this.